Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vmariet

Living room--I suddenly have space!

vmariet
3 years ago

We just moved from a small condo to a much larger house, and I'm at a loss as to how to fill a bigger space like this. Our living room is the first thing you see when you enter the front door.

We plan to replace these couches and would like to have a lot of seating in here. I'm also open to updating this fireplace--maybe whitewashing it? Would love to have a large, vibrant rug in here too.

The credenza is hiding a mess of wires for the speaker system, so I think I need to keep an accessible cabinet here to hide the wires and stereo system.

Any thoughts on how to best utilize this space would be much appreciated!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    PhDesign Company
    3 years ago

Hi - Congratulations! It looks like you've got a great view out to your garden, too! Very nice!

I like the two-sofas facing each other. If you're going to replace them, get two of the same sofas, and the same size. Then I would place two chairs facing the fireplace. Something like this rendering I did for a client.

For your fireplace, I actually think the rock looks good on the surround. Above the mantle, I might consider removing it, and just have some drywall there, painted to match the rest of the walls. You could do some shiplap (horizontally) right over the rock above the mantle, and white wash it, if you like that farmhouse feel.

Another way to arrange the seating is with one sofa facing the fireplace, and placing something like a console table or narrow credenza behind it. It's a great way to display flowers, and you could place a couple of lamps on it. It acts as an entry table.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

You have several options: Two sofas facing each other with two chairs facing the fireplace, as shown above, or one sofa facing the fireplace with two sets of two chairs on each side, facing each other, or two sofas in an L configuration, with one facing the kitchen and one facing the fireplace, with two chairs with their backs to the kitchen. Make sure you leave room for end tables. Don't feel like you need to fill all the spaces. Once you have your seating in place, add some artwork. Then you may only need the credenza or a console table against the wall as you have it, and the piano, with the rest of the room empty.

Ross Hills · More Info

The Savannah Model at The Estuary · More Info

Kara Weik © 2012 Houzz · More Info

• PRO
    Sorell Interiors
    3 years ago

Congrats! The house is beautiful with so many options. On the large empty wall, I would do an architectural element like a board and batten , to create interest on the wall. Add a very long credenza on that wall also. For the seating you can either, do a large semi circular sofa facing the fireplace, which would make quite a statement. Or you can do facing matching sofas flanking the fireplace with a bench between them facing the fireplace. Either way, you have a lot of options with such a big beautiful space,

• PRO
    Courtney Thomas Design
    3 years ago

Maybe if we share some images of our designs with you, that will help you with your layout and furniture options.

Altadena Farmhouse: Phase 2 · More Info

Altadena Farmhouse: Phase 2 · More Info

San Marino Southern Belle Interior: Living Room · More Info

Chevy Chase Renovation: Living Room · More Info

Chevy Chase Renovation: Living Room · More Info

• vmariet
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, thanks for all these ideas! I hadn't thought about getting two matching couches, but that would look great in here. A semi-circular couch would be a gorgeous statement piece too. These photos really help to get a vision of the room (love that little pink sofa!)

I'm also liking this look with a sectional and couch, although I'd probably want some brighter colors in here: