Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_spratford

Cabinets a different color.

Elizabeth
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So we just installed these cabinets (Cubitac Dover Shale, Birchwood) and they look great in person. However when I went to take a picture, I noticed 2 of the cabinets were a different color. Is this a defect or what? Not sure what to do.
***Picture in comments ***

Comments (13)

• Elizabeth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Someone screwed up. Make them replace the mismatched ones

Elizabeth thanked cpartist
  • Elizabeth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

JuneKnow

7 hours ago

There’s about 4 different colors in that. And not all is due to lighting

‐----------------‐------‐---------------------------------

4 different colors in all the cabinets or just the 2?

• cyc2001
    3 years ago

The lighting seems poor but the cabinets do appear to be multiple different colors - they don’t look good. I wouldn’t accept that.

Elizabeth thanked cyc2001
  • Elizabeth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thats a great idea...I will take the doors off and bring them outside to test the lighting. I also put a call in to the cabinet company. Thanks for all your input! The funny thing is that in person they look perfect! It's sooo strange.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I honestly can't tell what is variation due to lighting and what is due to variation in the cabinet color. Sammy suggestion is good. But my feeling is that if you can't tell in person and it only shows up in photos, it's probably lighting, or it's a real color variation that is too minor to make a stink over.

Elizabeth thanked cawaps
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

Gray stained cabinets are NOTORIOUS for having a lot of variation. I say if you can't see it in person, then don't worry about what the camera picks up!

I had a kitchen professionally photographed a few years ago. The kitchen is in Shiloh's Silas Alder gray stain. The island looks completely different. Due to the ceiling lights and huge amount of sunlight coming in, the photographer could NOT get them to look the same.

Here's the photos of that kitchen. YES, the perimeter and island are the exact same finish.

Shiloh Cabinetry - Rustic Alder Silas Finish & Graphite Highlight · More Info

And a long time ago, I had a client call me saying her hutch pieces in the dining room were a different color than the kitchen. When I went to her home, I thought, wow, it is a different color. But when I removed a door and took it in to her kitchen, they were spot on.

Another time, a client called me saying that "my crew was starting to install, but that I must've ordered the wrong finish coz it was so different than my display". After checking the order and seeing the finish was ordered correctly, I immediately drove over (with a door off my display) thinking, oh my god what has happened? Upon arrival, the cabinets looked darker in her kitchen. When I held my display door up to her kitchen....they matched!

It's crazy what lighting, both artificial and sunlight can do.

Elizabeth thanked The Kitchen Place
  • Elizabeth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes! This is what I'm dealing with. You can't see it in the picture, but to the right we have a sliding glass door. As well as a picture window on the opposite end of the kitchen, also not shown. We also haven't finished installing all the overhead lighting and ripping apart the other half of the kitchen. And installing the countertop, backslash, paint etc. Im thinking it will all come together. In the meantime, I won't take any more pictures! Lol.

• Mary
    3 years ago

If it shows up in pictures but not to the naked eye, that would still be extremely bothersome to me. I would be worrying anytime someone took a photo in my kitchen. I’m sure you spent a pretty penny and it should be right whether in photos or in real life. If they didn’t disclose to you that this could happen, then it should be fixed.

Elizabeth thanked Mary
  • Elizabeth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree Mary. Im going to wait until the kitchen is finished and if its still apparent I will definitely make a stink about it and get those 2 cabinets replaced. Or at the very least, the doors.