Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxxster

Flooring Colour

jaxxster
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, I am looking to redo my floors. I have 2 dogs and cat, so vinyl is best. But should it be light, medium? I am also wanting to paint the whole wall behind the tv, (longest wall), BM Wrought Iron (almost black), what you do think? Should the rugs be the same, or is different ok? Any other suggestions? (Need a new chandelier too. lol) Thank you in advance! :)

Comments (29)

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! The dark floor is real hardwood, but the honey color is cheap laminate that is starting to swell. I would like all one floor for entire space. Thanks for the sputnik suggestion, I am working on that exact style! :) Need to swag it too. The light box is not centered over the table :(

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

then get the same type of hardwood and have it laced in w/the old. I would never tear out real hardwood for vinyl! you will lower you equity, and the vinyl won't last nearly as long.

get the other oak for the other half, and have the whole thing refinished in a natural bona finish.

BTW, my island is painted Wrought Iron

another shot of the floor. I think a natural color like this shade would look nice.

few other light options

jaxxster thanked Beth H. :
  • jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love your french oak flooring! Looks great. Yes, just like yours would be perfect! :)

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any suggestion for a new counter top? I won't be changing the cabinets anytime soon, but maybe the knobs to black or brushed bronze.

Maybe paint the peninsula part a different color? but WHICH colour??? lol

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Nice lighting choices, to choose from. Thanks!

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Didn't think of putting MORE hardwood in. The dogs get water all over the floor near the kitchen, so I thought vinyl would be a better product as it is water resistant. Something to give thought to. :)

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Your place looks awesome!!!! Love the island!

• eveuchan
    3 years ago

I love your wood floors in your dining/living area. I’m not a pro but couldn’t you replace the vinyl flooring in kitchen with wood? You would probably have to sand down the previous flooring and stain all the same color. Also, can you turn the table the other way? Then you could move your sofa back so the living space doesn’t look so crowded.

jaxxster thanked eveuchan
  • Valinta
    3 years ago

Floors: Look at tile that resembles hardwood.
    Loke the sputnik lighting ideas.
    Can you turn your sofa so it faces the TV? Currently anyone watching TV has to look to the left from the sofa.
    I would get matching rugs since the space is so small and flows from one room to another.

jaxxster thanked Valinta
  • jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I will try moving the couch to face tv... kinda blocks the chi of the room but could be a better layout. And turn the dining room table to have more room for the living room. The fireplace is the elephant in the room. If I turn the dining room then the fireplace will not be in the centre, will that look weird?

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I get matching rugs... what colour? Pattern? I like the shag but my Roomba doesn't. lol So I'm willing to swap them out.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Love your flooring, Beth H. Do you have a source/brand name to share? I think I'd roll up both rugs and work on arranging the furniture. Once that is decided, then tape out rug placement on the floor with painter's tape to get the size right. On my monitor, your sofa leans into purple a bit. If that is the case, this Urbano Lilac rug from ruggable.com might be a good look. Their rugs are washable and designed to be durable for kid/pet households, and you can match different sizes.

jaxxster thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

Replace the laminate with the same hardwood you have in the other area and sand and stain them both to match. A lighter color usually works great but I guess it depends on the color of your dogs hair. Hardwood is NO problem in a kitchen with the proper finish. I've have mine down for 25 years through 3 dogs and 2 kids. Still looks great.

jaxxster thanked Design Girl
  • jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awesome advice, thank you very kindly!!!! :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

jaxxster,,,, get a large mat for the dogs drinking bowls. if they slobber over the wood, it's not a big deal. I have cats and I swear they barf on this wood floor every single damn day! sometimes it's very watery. (TMI) my point is, it cleans up perfectly. I've spilled an entire glass of water on the floor and it's no big deal. it just sits there. Yours will too if you have it finished properly.

So put the dogs bowls on a large vinyl mat, and have a wipe-up towel nearby. in fact, do a runner in the kitchen to help w/any spills in the busy area.

I actually put down this 8' runner in the area where I prepare. If I spill or drop stuff, no big deal. maybe get something like this for the dogs area

if you still don't want wood in the kitchen, then do a nice, large tile just in the kitchen, and carry the same wood everywhere else.

Deco. The flooring is Casa California Mediterranean selection in Granville. I love it.

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Changed up the layout... lol... just trying new things! :)

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would need tweeking, but you get the jist of it. Which one do you think it better? This one is a little more functional, actually. And my Eames chair isn't near the window, which can get cold. lol

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

moved the sofa to face TV, what do you think?

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I agree with extending the hardwood. I’ve only had real wood floors with both dogs and cats. Properly finished, it stands up to slobbering, vomiting and overall eating messes. Putting down place mats near the dog bowl will also help. Don’t resort to vinyl due to animals.

jaxxster thanked RedRyder
  • jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OK. extend the wood flooring it is. Thank you! Seems to be the right answer! :)

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Carpet options.... 1) buy a 8x10 of the same carpet that I currently have (soft circle pattern)... or 2) buy 2 matching multicolour for both locations? 3) Stick to what I have.

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

oops, 1 duplicate photo

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Option three: Two different but complementary rugs. You can go on so many rug sites, plus Overstock and Wayfair and look at rugs for hours. Hopefully some of the Houzzers who are great rug finders will help. What color scheme do you want? What styles do you like - traditional, Boho, geometric - the options are endless. But don’t settle for what you don’t love and I’m not getting a lot of that for your current area rugs. Lots of sales going on now too.

jaxxster thanked RedRyder
  • jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do you think this works????

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I want to bring in the blue from the artwork. I really struggle with all the options. lol

• jaxxster
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like anything without 'lines' - no geometrics, I like circles, soft lines.