Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurajchism

asymmetrical windows in a square dining room

laurajchism
3 years ago

Hello! Oh if someone could help me. These asymmetrical windows drive me crazy. My dining room is a perfect square so I believe the buffet needs to stay against the biggest wall where it currently is. Any ideas on window treatments? Or furniture placement? In these pictures I moved the center of the table to be between the windows however then it’s not lined up with the small entrance to our kitchen . I know I’d had to move the chandelier if I kept this setup. Please advice, I would be so grateful!

Comments (14)

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Sometimes you just have to go with it. Move the table back to the center. I've got asymmetrical windows in my bedroom. I did draperies and just left off the finial at the end of one rod. I don't even notice it. However, I do have about 3 inches between the molding and the wall. Your molding goes right to the wall. I still think this could work. Just make sure the draperies aren't too full. Try some ready made linen ones, or you could use roman shades.

• laurajchism
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for your reply. So you would do 2 panels on each?

• Sammy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Since you’re centering everything on the windows, just have the chandelier moved. And try rotating the table 90° so that it’s centered to the doorway and the windows. Although, really, it’s not a big deal, at all, that it be in line with the door to the kitchen. It’s not even a small deal.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes, two panels on each window. Make sure you mount the rods above the window trim - I usually go half way between the top molding and the ceiling. When going with ready made draperies, just get as close as you can. Ikea has some nice linen draperies pretty cheap.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

From the photos it appears that your table should run the other direction, lengthwise along the windows. I don't think the asymmetry would be as noticeable that way. Does the buffet fit anywhere else in the room? I wouldn't use drapes on the windows since you would lose so much of the light from the corner window.

• partim
    3 years ago

It would be helpful to have a drawing of the room showing the measurements and the location of doors and windows. But from your photo it looks like your table is too long for the room. Can you take out a leaf?

• PRO
    Sorell Interiors
    3 years ago

It would be helpful to see the room layout with dimensions, but based on the pictures, it looks like the table should go in the other direction being long wise in front of the windows. Find another spot for the buffet. Romans would work well for your windows. If you prefer drapes, have the rod go almost up to the crown. Find finials that are flat so that you can have an end cap on side nearest the wall and it won't be noticeable.

• partim
    3 years ago

You could do a double draw on the left window and a single draw to the left on the right one.

But really I think it would look better to have an identical double draw on both. If you use a semi-sheer white curtain it won't block a lot of light on the right side.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Will the buffet fit on the wall right of the kitchen door? Diagonal table placement can work; after all, if you've got asymmetry just go with it.

Dining Room · More Info

Georgetown Residence · More Info

Photo Compilation · More Info

• laurajchism
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I considered a diagonal table but didn’t know how off the wall that would be considered but the above pictures make it look ok. Thank you for all of us input!

• doods
    3 years ago

Looks to me too like the table should go the other way.

• laurajchism
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree to put the table the other way given the windows however my buffet is so big the only wall it fits on is the one it’s on now which would not allow to make the table horizontal. That’s why I’m having such a hard time. I appreciate your input

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Try the table in the other direction and post the photos so we can see. a Table on the diagonal would drive me crazy.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

It's more important to have the table the right direction. The buffet doesn't have to be centered on the wall - maybe it can fit further down. Or move it to another room.