Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_742677606

1970s ranch update -

james lemay
3 years ago

Just got my neighbors house. I will be moving into this. I am making this thread to show progress and maybe get some suggestions.

So far I am focusing on the kitchen and living room area. I will also fix up the bathroom.

I removed two layers of paneling and the damaged drywall underneath it. I will be adding outlets and replacing the insulation while it is open. I am also removing wall paper and scraping the popcorn ceilings... I deleted the soffit above the cabinets too. That is a bad habit of mine but it was wall papered masonite anyways.

I will be replacing the kitchen lighting and adding recessed lighting throughout.

I am having a really hard time deciding on what to do with the kitchen. It's such a shame to tear out cabinets that are in such good condition. I am not sure the paint and hardware treatment would get them to where they need to be though.. I would also like to keep the jenn-air..

Also having a hard time deciding how I

want to achieve one plane of flooring. Someone has previously covered what I assume to be asbestos with structurwood osb.

Comments (158)

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

It's looking renewed.

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Wow! It’s looking great.

• james lemay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cabinets are mostly here and assembled. Drywall tapping and mudding being done this week (by pro)

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

Moving along nicely!

• james lemay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am trying to decide on paint colors. I have used agreeable gray in the past and liked it. I also think I like slightly darker colors like repose gray. I think either may be a good choice in the kitchen and living room.

Even though the bedroom is small, I am considering a deep, darker color like a navy blue.

So tough to decide but this is my next step...

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Slow going. Repaired a bunch of subfloor, installed underlayment, painted bedroom and main area, removed infested attic insulation, etc.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to use floor leveler and click and lock floating floor or build up low spots with felt paper and do a nail down floor. Also trying to decide if I want to do cabinets or flooring first.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

So much work! And it's coming along nicely. If the cabinets are not installed yet then I'd do floor first because I prefer to avoid shoe molding in the kitchen.

• latifolia
    2 years ago

Nice to see your progress. You won't regret flooring first should you decide to change your layout in the future

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Flooring first. So much easier to move the dishwasher in and out. I like the very light color of the plywood underlayment. Are you thinking of something quite light for the flooring?

• mrsfo2
    2 years ago

do you hire out? My hubby is NOT a handyman and I desperately need one.

• modpod
    2 years ago

Exciting progress! Tackle the flooring first, so much easier in the long run should you ever change things.

• Becky H
    2 years ago

Looking good! May I ask where you bought your cabinets from?

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We have not been able to decide on a floor yet... I hired out the drywall mudding and tapping but it was a bust and my father ended up fixing up the whole job.

Cabinets are from kitchen cabinet kings

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Change of direction this weekend. Got started on the roof but ended up having to resheath it. Working in the 90+ sunny weather was annoying.

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Roof is done, bedroom canless lighting done, I am now fighting decionitus on floorings....

Any thoughts?

• crcollins1_gw
    2 years ago

I like the one in the last picture the best. By far.

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well what's crazy and what makes it so hard is that there are only two different floorings pictured. Lol. Just different lighting and different rooms...

• latifolia
    2 years ago

What kind of flooring and what are your goals? Pets, toddlers, old folks in wheelchair, mud, sand? In terms of investment, real wood generally wins, but it costs more. I would avoid grey and strong patterns.

• modpod
    2 years ago

I like the brown stain finish better than the orange. Looking good!

• Shawna
    2 years ago

I like both and either would work just fine.

• Becky H
    2 years ago

Either would be good. I like the brown more also depends on your counterop and color scheem for the kitchen/house. Is this flooring going in the bathrooms too?

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

The gray brown is somber. The mid-brown is lively.

• sayboone
    2 years ago

Looks like I see a glimpse of a wood window in a couple of photos. Assuming all the windows are the same, if that wood will be staying, I'd pick the mid-brown floor. If the windows are being replaced or painted, I'd choose the grayer brown.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I would change the lighting to minimize the orangey look of the floor. I presume the last photo is of the orange floor but in natural light where it clearly looks best. I'd go for that one with a lightbulb change.

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all the input. The wood framed windows are getting painted white. I'll choose counter tops later on. I can't change the lighting, I just installed it. Lol. They're 2700k led can-less. A lot of the different looks are in the photos. And there is currently no lighting in the kitchen. I just had a shop light on in there. They're vinyl floors. Hardwood would be nice but with this not being my forever home I'd rather save the money and get a nice durable product.

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bedroom floor all done short of one piece

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Looks very nice. Matching wood tone baseboards or white baseboards? If the rest of the house's trim is white, that would look good here. You can paint the baseboards before installing them: quicker and neater.

• Becky H
    2 years ago

Looks good!

• modpod
    2 years ago

Looking really good! It must be getting even more exciting, the finish line is getting ever closer! Continued good luck!

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Slow going with just me and my dad. Especially with my undiagnosed ocd lol

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Good progress. Thanks for posting the update. What are your next steps?

james lemay thanked apple_pie_order
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Keep on truckin'. Looks very nice. Are the vanity cabinets a deep greenish color?

james lemay thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • Amanda Smith
    2 years ago

Nice kitchen. Good job!

james lemay thanked Amanda Smith
  • james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The cabinet color is benjamin moore crisp romaine. It is lighter in person for sure. It came out okay... I raised the cabinet and added a piece on the bottom so it was at comfort height.

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have to finish the flooring in the living room, tile the bathroom, then I should be able to hang all the doors and install all of the trim.

I need to finish the wall repair and choose a mirror for the bathroom too.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Looks good. What is the kitchen countertop made of?

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Looking good.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

apple pie, looks like Fantasy Brown

• Becky H
    2 years ago

Looks good!

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. Yes it's fantasy brown

• HU-188275932
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I love what you are doing! I wanted to do our bedroom in a dark color, hubby said it would soak up all the light. well, duh, It's a bedroom, usually spend night time in there. I lost, it is a medium grey, as dark as I could get away with. I see you went with a shinny stainless sink, I hope that doesn't end up disappointing you. Very hard to keep shinny. My daughter had one and it shows every scuff, even from cleaning. I appreciate your undiagnosed OCD, I have it also. Takes longer to complete projects, but worth the effort. Thanks for the update! I'd be at your back door if I lived close enough to give you a hand. ( MrsFO2) I don't know why it gave me a different name..????

• james lemay
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I almost went with a ceramic sink but this model maximized my sink size in the 30" base and it was a great product at a good price. It'll be alright that's all I've had so far. The ocd can definitely get the best of me lol. 

The urbane bronze bedroom was definitely a bolt choice but we like it and have a lot of lights in there.

• james lemay
    Original Author
    last year

Not done but moved in lol

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    last year

Congratulations!

• cat_ky
    last year

Congratulations on your move in. It looks very nice.

• apple_pie_order
    last year

Congratulations! It looks completely renewed.

• chloebud
    last year

Nicely done!

• Becky H
    last year

Looks great!