Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Help me find something for front door sidelights

Oakley
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

It's time to buy a new whatever to put in front of the sidelights, and I honestly don't know what's "in or out." I know I know, it's what I like not anyone else. My current artificial greenery is quickly biting the dust but I'm not sure if I want more greenery or something else. What I do want is for it to be noticeable from the road.

The house wasn't quite finished in this picture but you can see the space.

Comments (8)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Black front doors are trending now, except mine's brown.

I like these, what do you think? The metal porch furniture is white.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

It would help to see what the house currently looks like and what you have out there right now.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You mean on the porch? Hopefully I can get three pictures in here.

All of our land is to the sides and back of the house, and there's pea gravel in front of one parking area. We have two parking areas. We're a bit from the road which is why I want the pots to stand out.

Old picture, right side of porch. The furniture is still there but painted white, and rearranged, and a much larger colorful rug that will be replaced soon. So ignore thee colors. There's also a cream colored wrought iron stand with 4 shelves, not pictured.

Oh, the porch roof is white.

Left side of porch.

Old picture when my Roses were in their glory. Every single one of them caught Rose Rosette Disease. If you look closely you can see the pea gravel where I park.

This spring it will be like an English garden, full of Cosmos and such, the fencing will be replaced

Not sure where the old pot and topiary are.

I'm in the process of finding a new outdoor rug, I loved the one I have but it bleached and it doesn't get sun in that area! No clue what color it'll be.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Gosh, your rose garden was pretty! I lost my roses to RR disease too.

I like the white planters, as long as you could grow something real in them (enough light?). Maybe Kimberly ferns when spring returns. That's what I usually put in the big planter on our front porch, and they last well into the winter months. (Mine's still going strong.)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Off the left side of porch.

Here's the shelf! lol

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I like the planters, but I wouldn't put anything artificial in them. My big planter to one side of my door, I keep full of flowers/ivy, etc. spring through fall. In October I take all that out and add pumpkins, pinecones, gourds, curly willow. Now for the holidays I have evergreen branches, magnolia,some birch branches (always something for height) and just a couple of large ball ornaments. In the new year I can keep evergreen, berry branches and pinecones. In another area I used to have two large planters and I had kind of cone shaped metal pieces. In season, I had vines growing up the cones. In winter, the cones were decorative enough on their own. Octo is right about ferns (I still have a boston on my patio), and Kimberly Queen ferns tolerate heat well.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

For your planters, you could repeat the colors of the roses with coleus in spring and summer. I have one called watermelon in my front planters that I paired with a darker one and pink and white begonias. I'm thinking I will go without the begonias this year because the coleus grows easier and had plenty of color without the blooms. Link above for the photo that look like mine. Some seem to be all pink and green without the lighter color in the center.

• tuesday_2008
    3 years ago

i like Tina’s suggestions....large white planters (or maybe black), change live mix of annuals with the seasons, stick some winter greenery and pine cones and a few ornaments for the Christmas holidays. Or as Ocotillo suggested, ferns all summer up until the late fall. I just got rid of my ferns....they were under roof and lasted well. You can do some pretty winter arrangements by just poking cuttings of greenery (pine, spruce, holly) into the old potting soil. Stick some nice artificial poinsettias in for color or large branches of artificial berries. Have fun with it.

Do you get sun there for blooming annuals in the spring and summer?

LOVE your roses!