Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_401157058

Kitchen Cabinet Advice - Paint vs. Reface

HU-401157058
3 years ago

My kitchen cabinets are this yellow oak color that I did not pick and am ready to update. I am thinking of either white or a very light grey (probably white), and then doing the island in a darker grey. Two things I am thinking about:

1) Should I get the cabinets repainted, or should I invest a little more to have them refaced? I'm not sure what the budget would be for one vs. the other because I have just started to contact pros for quotes. I like the clean lines of the slab cabinets, but I am a little bit worried that white slab may look cheap because the cabinets cover so much surface of the kitchen.

2) What color would you recommend for the large pantry structure that is on the right photo, circled in red? I can't decide if white to tie to the cabinet color, or if it would look stark and out of place.

Also maybe worth noting that I am also going to have the backsplash redone, probably to a medium grey subway tile.

Comments (30)

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

do not think it's oak on the cabinets. Maple and some woods do fade to yellow somewhat but yours do not appear terribly faded in that way.. I would rid myself of the yellow floor and yellow wall color first. Adjacent surfaces have a large impact. the floor is unattractive and updating the tone is what I'd do first . you can get the floor stripped and restained and topcoated. Not cheap but good investment if then the cabinets show their glory and I think this is maybe all you need to do. Why not see. .

• HU-401157058
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Definitely repainting the walls for sure. I hadn't thought about the floors but perhaps could consider it or at least price it out.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Those are perfectly in style! Do not touch them! Address the lighting.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

I agree with Celadon, those cabinets and tops are awesome. Darker floor, different wall paint and lighting would do.

• HU-401157058
    Original Author
    3 years ago

OK thanks to those who have responded. I'm having a hard time envisioning how the paint and even darker flooring could transform the space. Maybe I need to consider doing those things and then living in the space for a bit.

What would you recommend doing with the lighting? Would you recommend a fixture that ties to the brushed hardware still, or maybe a black matte fixture?

Lastly, what type of backsplash would you pair with cabinets like these if I do not get them painted? I really don't like the metal sheet style backsplash that's in there right now. Here's another photo where you can see more of the backsplash.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

white subway : great results then if counter remains and floor by chance gets a richer [at least medium] stain. white subway does not mean boring. if white subway evokes a groan , white can be texture or patterned tile by the way.

• Carrie B
    3 years ago

Another vote for leaving the cabinets. Also agree with a darker (but not super dark) floor and white (or off-white) backsplash. I rarely like white paint on walls (though my kitchen cabinets are white) but I think they'd serve you well.

• HU-401157058
    Original Author
    3 years ago

With the floors comments (dark but not too dark) what sort of stain would you recommend? Looking around online for inspiration photos of natural slab cabinet kitchens, a lot of them have flooring that is similar in tone to the cabinets vs. darker. Would you go with something like the Driftwood or Early American in this Minwax chart? Of course, I know I'll have to evaluate some samples in person but for now trying to at least get a feel from some online photos to get an idea.

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

Beautiful cabinets, very "in style," would not do anything to them.

First thing would change is wall color to mid or dark grey, green or blue.

Again, really nice cabinets!

• gustaviatex
    3 years ago

Right. I am in the midst of planning to take out my white shaker-style cabinets for light wood slab cabinets. Just look at some of the recent stories on Wood cabinets. Change the hardware and maybe the backsplash. Don't turn it into a cookie-cutter copy of the ubiquitous white/gray kitchens.

• PRO
    Dounia Home
    3 years ago

the cabinets are great! New hardware and lighting would do magic!!

here are some great lighting options.

https://www.douniahome.com/collections/pendant-lights

• HU-401157058
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all! Appreciate all of the advice. You've convinced me that I can maybe fall in love with the cabinets with some other cosmetic changes. Definitely painting the walls, no doubt about it.

Gustaviatex, what kind of hardware and backsplash would you do? Others on here have said white subway tile backsplash.

Hardware I think may be tough because I will have to find something similarly sized to match the far apart drill holes in the cabinets. I guess I could easily try a few different color options though and see what works in the space.

• Muriel Thompson
    3 years ago

Those cabinets are beautiful.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

your floor refinisher people will allow sampling . think of the color and intensity range you desire and they will assist you. It's part of the experience/service from a pro group .

• gls6334
    3 years ago

You might be able to get a designer who comes in and looks at your kitchen at an hourly rate. I have a great designer who I work with. He comes to the house, meets me at all different supply stores, and does whatever I need him to do. Of course, he always has his paint chip chart handy which also makes the time efficient. He will even just be available for phone conversations if that is what is needed. He charges me $125/hr and talks about whatever I want him to talk about. He has saved me from making some big mistakes and he has saved me from A LOT of wasted time.

I would definitely keep your cabinets. They are lovely. However, if you still want a change in the look of your cabinet, you could always consider replacing a door or two with glass. There are all sorts of cool glass finishes and you could also opt for a modern stained glass panel also.

I also would look at some cosmetic changes first - paint color, dark hardware (They make hardware in all shapes and sizes!), and maybe something on top of the cabinets - collectibles, greenery, etc. I can understand if you do not want to add clutter and to create something that is hard to keep clean. Whatever you do would need to be a modern look.

I would even paint a patch on the wall with some sample paint to make sure it is what you would like. I have even painted a large piece of cardboard and moved it from wall to wall in a room to make sure that I like it. LOL!!!

Just a question about your flooring - Does it run through the entire first level of your home? It could get costly to replace it, but I agree that a darker color would look better. I would get a couple of flooring samples and bring them home to see what they look like, even if you are opting for staining your floor. Another flooring look that is in in multicolor flooring - light planks, mixed with darker color planks. This might be less of a change for you, but still add a nice dimension.

I know light bulbs can make a big difference. I forget what my designer always has me get for my recessed lighting, but it is like 230 or 270 Kelvin, something like that.

I think a new backsplash would be a great addition. They make SO MANY fun and cool tiles anymore. I always will love subway tile and they are such a nice clean look, but you can get backsplashes that are really pieces of art anymore. Gray tile to me would look very similar to the color combination that you have now, so I would go with something different. Of course, upgrading tile can get expensive...

Good luck!!!!

• HU-401157058
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! gls6335, the hardwood floors do run throughout the entire main level so definitely something I'd need to address in multiple rooms. The good thing about that is it would soften the yellow throughout and make more of an impact on the home overall. But, like you said, could get pricey. I'll probably seek out some estimates and take it from there. Same thing on the backsplash.

I think the biggest thing would be the floors, not only the expense but also figuring out what to do with the family and pets if we had to be out of the house for several days, so really trying to envision the impact that would have before diving in.

Good advice on the designer, too. Thank you.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Should not be much more then the 8-10k to reface or professionally paint the cabinets.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I would keep the cabinets, and have the floors done as a priority. Those floors are what is wrong with your kitchen. Painting cabinets can cost several thousand dollars, so shouldnt be much more to just do the floors.

• Missi (4b IA)
    3 years ago

Oh my, I hope you decide to keep the cabinets-I think they’re beautiful!

• Karen
    3 years ago

I've seen the Special Walnut stain down and it was quite pretty and middle of the road dark.

• Jean
    3 years ago

Here are floors in photoshop, I just did two different random dark stains...left is more red, right is more brown.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

either is fine. Once you get a couple to choose from, it boils down to "real life" w lighting and things in adjacent spaces/ our images are only so helpful. I like them both. You're going to love those floors once you do this. the right picture is "safer" if you need that reassurance. It's a fabulous upgrade. Do you realize how much better your kitchen looks just w this one change?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Ok, few things. cabs are maple or birch.

don't even consider Minwax for your floors. bottom of the barrel as far as quality goes.

if you want the floors redone, call in pro refinisher. maybe think about doing a very light natural, using Bona system. I wouldn't go darker.

Cabs themselves are fine. However, I'd want to change the countertops. You can try paint first, but if you want gray subway tile, consider changing out that black granite.

these are a similar color. if you went darker on the walls like this, it would make the cabs really stand out. (lighter countertop though)

Do a black pendant over the island.

I even like the idea of painting just your island black. (but I'd redo the countertops. c-below)

tried to give you a black island. for sure you'd need lighter countertops w/this look.

if you must keep the black counters, you could try these pendants.

There isn't one thing white in that kitchen. doing a white subway tile for the backsplash would look odd. And w/the more modern style, I think if you want white, do something other shape.

but if you really want to change something start w/the countertop.

I'd do something like this. lighter countertops. Maybe insert some glass in few of the uppers.

similar cabs with marble (or a quartz marble)

Here's your white subway, but notice the granite. The white tile compliments the granite.

Putting white tile against your black countertop would look horrible.

here's a light maple with medium gray quartz. It's meh. not much diff that what you have

also like this for your pendant. (have you thought about changing your hardware?)

if you don't like the dark charcoal paint color idea, here are some others.

another option. lighter countertops and a back painted glass backsplash.

you'll notice that most of these all have the same light floors like you have.

spend your money on new countertops, lighting and backsplash if you want more of a drastic change.

options for countertop

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

NO I wouldn't cover up all your white door passage casings and molding w black paint along w walls.. the darker floor is the darker element to work w counters if they are staying. YOU WANT black counters AND black walls? I don't think so. the white trim does not need to be black. and a white simple backsplash works. Figure out your budget and quotes for the floor project. It is not cheap. Changing moldings and casings throughout an area or whole floor of a home is not that cheap...in fact quite expensive.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I have to ask about the rest of your house, what its style is like? are you happy with nearby rooms?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Just thought about altering finish on the island - the 'pop' of a contrast in center of room ?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Denise DeCoster Architect--

These are 24" x 24" porcelain floor tiles. The manufacturer is Ceramica Fioranese and the line is Steelwork. The tiles are available in several different sizes and metallic finishes ("atomized microspheres of metals") 5 years ago

Kitchen Pass-through · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Could it be that replacing some wood fronts with another material like smoky glass would add something?

Remodeled Kitchen · More Info

• Muriel Thompson
    3 years ago

I’m with Beth H. Your floors look fine to me. It all looks nice, frankly. But if there is one thing that is asking for a change, in my eyes, it’s the counter.