Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

What do you use to count your steps?

Sueb20
3 years ago

I’ve had a couple of Fit Bits over the years but I don’t love wearing them. I have small wrists and the fit bit feels bulky to me, even the smallest one. So I’ve just been using the health app on my phone to track steps but depending on where the phone is (in various pockets or even in my hand) it’s not always accurate.

Maybe I should just get an old-school pedometer? I told my family I’d like something that could just be imbedded in my skin or something. Wouldn’t that be convenient? Or something in my sneaker?

Comments (26)

• czarinalex
    3 years ago

I agree with you on the fitbit bands. I don't wear mine because I don't like the way it feels on my wrist. I had looked at these ankle bands on etsy. I haven't tried it yet...

Ankle band

Sueb20 thanked czarinalex
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

I have a Fitbit Inspire that works with a clip and a band so I can wear it either way. https://www.fitbit.com/sg/inspire

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

Same as 1929Spanish - I have the Inspire and clip it to my bra, waistband or have even clipped it to my shoe. But I also bought a different band (the metal mesh rose gold one) and it feels 100x better than the plastic. I have small wrists, too and this is comfortable for me.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I like Accupedo on my phone.

But, there is the Health right on your phone as well.

I find that when I am out walking, I always have my phone. If I’m really into it, I just put my phone in my pocket for around the house.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have had several Fitbits, and never use the bands that come with them anymore. My favorite is a velcro type band - lightweight, breathable, and you can adjust it perfectly to your wrist.

Like this one from Etsy, but I buy mine on Am@zon, they are cheaper.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/811574170/fitbit-charge-3charge-4-nylon-strap?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=fitbit+band+velcro+charge+3&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&col=1

• nini804
    3 years ago

I use my Apple Watch for all that.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

I use the Health app on my phone. I think it’s pretty accurate, at least the distance is.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

For whatever reason, the health app on my phone is not always accurate. For example, today we went for a family walk. I know the loop we walked is 2.5 miles. My phone was in my front coat pocket. DD has an apple watch, which indicated about 2.5 miles. My phone indicated 1.7 miles. Same walk, side by side.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I don't count steps, but go by mileage or time. My usual morning treadmill run works out to 2.35 miles in 30 minutes (I'm no sprinter), and my normal walking route is 3.25 miles. I have, just out of curiosity, used a pedometer app on my phone, but didn't feel compelled to keep that up. Whatever gets you moving, though -- that's the important thing.

Sueb20 thanked IdaClaire
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m hoping a more specific goal (ie 10K steps) will motivate me to move more. Of course that will change soon enough as we have ordered a Peloton bike so progress there will be measured differently, I think.

• hhireno
    3 years ago

I use the free app Strava on my phone to track my walks and bike rides. It gives me distance, time, and a map of my route. Its GPS based so it shows me miles covered, not steps. They also offer more info for a fee, but I’m content with what I get for free. It doesn’t capture my non-fitness activity but I don’t care, I’m more interested in my fitness based activity.

Sueb20 thanked hhireno
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I used to like the Fitbit one that clipped on the waistband, but they stopped making that. Then I had an Ionic, and now I have a Sense, which is the newest one. They really are good fitness trackers. I've also put mine in my pocket when I'm on the treadmill.

ETA all fitness trackers/pedometers pick up walking/jogging types of activities best.

Sueb20 thanked gsciencechick
  • jojoco
    3 years ago

I use the health app on my phone. I've also noticed that it is off (low) a bit because when I walk with a friend, her Fitbit mileage is always always a bit higher than mine.

Sueb20 thanked jojoco
  • Springroz
    3 years ago

I use a Garmin Forerunner, but that is because it syncs with the heart rate monitor I use on the horses. It does keep my HR, too, but I don’t give a flip about that. It is also synced to Strava for my cycling activity. I want to upgrade to a Garmin Instinct as soon as This band breaks....

Sueb20 thanked Springroz
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I go for minutes/time not number of steps.

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

I am glad to hear that others don't like wearing wrist bands. I keep begging Fitbit to bring back the Fitbit One. You can still buy them NIB on eBay.

• nini804
    3 years ago

You are going to LOVE your Peloton! But you are right.... the bike isn’t picked up on fitness trackers. You have to enter it manually. Of course, the Peloton keeps track of everything you do on it. Your cadence plus your resistance gives you an output number which makes it very easy to compare performance on workouts. It gives you calories burned as well. You’ll end up obsessed with it. 😂

Sueb20 thanked nini804
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

My former ww leader wore her fit bit in her bra...

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Czarina, I think I’ll order one of those bands from Etsy. Might be exactly what I need! And a low cost experiment if nothing else.

People I know with pelotons LOVE them. I’m hoping to be a new woman by summer. 💪🏻

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Yeah, spinning types of activities are not picked up well at all in step counts. WTG on the Peloton! There is someone on my Nextdoor selling a Keiser spin bike and I'm trying to find where in here I could put it. :( Our house is so freaking small and DH will not get rid of anything.

• Caroline Hamilton
    3 years ago

I am a runner so I use the garmin for both running and step counting. I aim to do 20,000+ steps a day.

• 4kids4us
    3 years ago

I have always worn a watch and feel naked without one. Years ago I bought a Garmin Forerunner to track my running but only wore it for running, and wore a “nice” watch the rest of the time. After replacing my Forerunner with a newer version that had more features, I stopped wearing my nice watch (unless I am dressing up) and wear my Garmin 100% of time - I use it for tracking all kinds of things, steps, runs, sleep. I can read text messages from my iphone and see when someone is calling me. I have no desire for an Apple watch but like that my Garmin syncs with my phone.

But all that said, it does not sound like it is something that you would want to wear (it’s bulkier than a fitbit).

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Sueb - check Am@zon for the velcro bands. They are less expensive there. I linked to Etsy because I read that Houzz doesn't like links from the big A.

Sueb20 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • bpath
    3 years ago

I had a Fitbit Zip, it clipped into my top, or waistband, or whatever. It did a pretty good job counting my steps, but I was always knocking it off so I'd slip out in my pocket . . . And 3 or 4 trips through the washing machine, being revived after each, well, they took their toll.

I probably don't take enough steps during the day to make it worthwhile, anyway, because I just don't perform to such things. I do like my phone app when I'm on a walk or out and about. It uses a cell signal so not as accurate as gps, but it's good enough.

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

bpath I loved my Zip - still have it but it requires such frequent battery changes that I upgraded to the Inspire which can recharge. I found the best place to clip it was to my bra strap, take it off at night then re-clip to a workout or regular bra the next day.