Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_170979606

Tile or acrylic shower floor?

bob Smith
3 years ago

Which one should I do? My contractor keeps nudging me toward acrylic, saying it is easier to keep clean. I think the tile would be better for resale. Your thoughts?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO acrylic showers and tubs are awesome for cleaning but it depends on your area as to tile versus acrylic but IMO you do a home for you not some imaginary buyer down the road . I find often tiled showers have avery dated look very quickly and I happen to like ease of cleaning in bathrooms. As for yours I need a bit of info as to the style of the space for sure.

bob Smith thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Beyond Clean Tile
    3 years ago

Either, as long as the shower is built correctly and maintained it will be fine. I would go with what you want and not let which is easier to be your driving decision. I would however, avoid slate and super porous stones due to a really increased challenge to maintain. But that is not what you asked.

We find showers where homeowners use liquid soap vs bar soap, wipe the shower clean after every use to dry the shower and weekly cleaning have minimal problems with a tile or acrylic shower. The shower is one of the most used (and certainly the wettest) place in the house. A little of attention goes a long way to preventing soap scum and mildew. Some even keep a dehumidifier or fan near the shower.

bob Smith thanked Beyond Clean Tile
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Many contractors want to take the easy way out. I'd never do an acrylic shower - Yes, they are easier to clean because it's one piece of plastic. I'd get the largest tiles you can that will give you the pitch needed for proper drainage but still allow enough grout to be safe. The size depends on the size of your shower.

bob Smith thanked Design Girl
  • KW PNW Z8
    3 years ago

Do you want to deal with grout lines on shower floor? I sure don’t & that’s why we chose acrylic. I understand grout products have improved & less porous grout is now used in showers but doesn’t change my view. We do have a quality shower pan too which likely makes a difference in the look & feel of shower floor. IMO, what would affect resale is a poorly maintained shower. We also do everything Beyond Clean Tile suggests for maintenance.

bob Smith thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Carrie B
    3 years ago

My shower floor had tile when I moved in. A failure of the shower pan eventually forced a re-build and I opted for acrylic. I'm very happy with the acrylic, and really appreciate not getting down on my hands & knees every week with a stiff brush to scrub the grout.

bob Smith thanked Carrie B
  • cat_mom
    3 years ago

We used a Kohler cast iron shower receptor in our guest bathroom. Very happy with it.

bob Smith thanked cat_mom
  • bob Smith
    Original Author
    3 years ago

cat_mom - did you use a shower curtain or glass in your shower?