Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_717258973

Should I choose waterproof laminate flooring for my entire house?

Ali
3 years ago

I’m try to decide what type of flooring to choose. I want affordable wood-style floors but i don’t like how thing vinyl feels and I prefer the weight of laminate, however I hear laminate in the worst with water. Any suggestions on best floor choice?

these are the General colour that I am going for.

Comments (28)

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Water proof laminate has developed to a certain extent. Which products are you looking at? What are the brands? Names of the lines?

I'm a fan of laminate when it is high-grade stuff. The TRADITIONAL laminate (10mm - 15mm thick) out of Europe (Switzerland and Germany = the best) is great throughout the house...except kitchens and bathrooms.

If you wish to PAY the extra expense of having water proof throughout your house (because you know your entire household wanders around dripping wet, every day all day...'cause there's a pool or hot tub or shower in EVERY room of your house) then realize that you are paying EXTRA for a requirement that is NOT NEEDED in 80% of the floor space.

I'm not kidding. If you have a 2000sf home and you have 400sf of kitchens + bathroom flooring then 20% REQUIRES some form of water proofing. The other 1600sf of flooring does NOT need this extra cost of specialty product.

Anyway, some of these water proof laminates are quirky to install. Many people have become frustrated by them...and others have been very happy (with the brand name). While others have been emotionally destroyed by the horrible product they chose (because it was $0.75/sf cheaper than the brand name).

I personally like kitchens and baths to have their own floors (tile, stone, cork, etc). These are areas where you can get creative and create mini-spas.

Ali thanked SJ McCarthy
  • Ali
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have kids so their is always the possibility of spills and we live in a wet climate. The kitchen dining room living rooms is open concept so I thought it would need to be the same floor throughout. I am currently looking at Galeria Floors Citadel “Snailfish” flooring.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

This is 'End of The Roll' products. Which location are you working with? It looks to be a 'mass import' type of product because the website has ZERO information.

Ali thanked SJ McCarthy
  • Ali
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The other one I am looking at is Natural Maple by KronosSwiss. Seeing as you recommended the Swiss laminate companies I am wondering if you are familiar with this product?

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Yes. This is a brand name. I would prefer you to look at Torlys as well. They are the top brand listed on the End Of the Roll website.

Are you on the West Coast?

Ali thanked SJ McCarthy
  • Ali
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes!

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

You don't need whole house water proof flooring. You will do just fine with a high end laminate.

• John Creek
    3 years ago

Following...

• John Creek
    3 years ago

Coretec has a GRANDE Line that is very thick if that is the under feet feel you are looking for in a LVP product hth

• orahruth
    2 years ago

Ali, I am in the same dilemma. Looking at same color grouping as your post. Open concept and wanting one flooring throughout. Please let me know what you finally chose. Thanks.

• HU-234139387
    2 years ago

Same dilemma for me as well. interested to hear what you choose!

• orahruth
    2 years ago

HU-234139387.....Putting in Shaw Pantheon HD + Natural Bevel in Alabaster next week.

• Rachel Odumu
    last year

Hey @orahruth - I chose the exact same lvp for my new build! Are you loving it so far? Do you mind sharing photos?!

• Rachel Odumu
    last year

Omg thank you so much for posting these photos!!! It’s often so hard to find photos of the product installed vs samples. You are awesome and it looks wonderful in your home, cannot wait to see it in mine!

• Victoria D
    last year

What made you switch from laminate to LVP?

• kristinemkelly
    last year

Hi Rachel Odumu and orahruth, Im putting in the same floors. do you still love them?

• orahruth
    last year

Kristinemkelly......Yes, I still love them!

• kristinemkelly
    last year

Wonderful! What do you use to clean them? And no weird smudging?

• orahruth
    last year

Kristine Kelly, At first I was using premixed Murphys Oil Soap that comes in spray bottle. Supposed to not leave any residue. But after a lot of research am now using just plain water. Works well. Shaw makes a spray that you can find online too. Haven’t tried it yet.

• Beth Bickel
    last year

@orahruth can you please tell us what type of flooring this is and the brand/color? I know this post is a few months old but I love your flooring!

• orahruth
    last year

bethbickel........Shaw pantheon HD plus natural bevel color is Alabaster

• orahruth
    last year

Shaw Pantheon HD plus natural bevel....Color is alabaster

• Rachel Odumu
    last year

Still love it! it’s the perfect warm/white oak color, and keeps the house feeling light and airy!

• orahruth
    last year

Rachel....So nice to see your pics! Looks beautiful!

• S Sam
    6 months ago

Rachel, I know this post is old, but I’m considering the exact same floor for my whole house. May I ask what paint color you chose for the walls ?

• Rachel Odumu
    6 months ago

All good @S Sam - This is the builder grade white: Flat Super White by McCormick Paint

• S Sam
    6 months ago

Thank you so much Rachel:)