Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyedesign1

Help me layout my kitchen cabinets

Stephanie D
3 years ago

We are renovating our 1917 rowhome kitchen. We are moving walls/powder room/HVAC, and opening up the kitchen to the dining room. We already have construction drawings, but now I need to finalize the layout of the kitchen cabinets. Here are a few notes:

1. New window on sink side can move. The existing window must stay in place.

2. Fridge wall is a party wall, no window options available.

3. Powder room cannot move. It took a lot of versions to get to a place where we are ok with the powder room location.

4. Random, but...We have cats and will be getting a dog at some point this year. Where do we put the water/food bowl?

5. Where do we put the trash/recycle bins?

6. Would love an appliance garage of sorts - somewhere to hide our toaster/coffee maker/nutribullet which are used daily.

7. We also have other small appliances which aren't used as often but would like to store somewhere (mixer, food processor). Should I store these in the pantry, or somewhere else?

8. Where do I put the microwave? I'd really like to avoid putting over the stove, but am not totally opposed to that if it makes the most sense.

9. We are a small storage closet in this design. There are no other closets on the first floor. (We have coat cubbies near the front door for coats/shoes.) I'd like a small closet/nook to keep the stick vac/broom.

10. Where should I put lighting (pendants/recessed/etc).

11. The ceilings are high (maybe 10-11 feet). Should the cabinets go all the way to the top?

With these things in mind, can you help me layout my kitchen? Also, do I need to select a cabinet maker before I can do the layout? I've never renovated a kitchen before, so appreciate all the help I can get!

Comments (4)