Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Enclosed porch to serve as breezeway between house & garage

navi_jen
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

Have an accepted offer on a house, and the ONE thing it doesn't have is an attached garage. I want one badly (I'm in the Great Lakes region, but they aren't common in my town). House also does NOT have a sunroom, which is very common here (a GREAT office space). So, I'm thinking I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and build an enclosed porch. House and garage are both brick structures, approx 15 feet apart, however, they are offset.

Good news is that there is a window in the kitchen, facing the garage, that was an outside door at some point....it has new brick below the window and a cement pad at the ground level (window below the awing, near the driveway), next to the small square chimney). The kitchen needs refreshing at some point anyways, I figure at that point I could convert the window to a door and add the sunporch.

In a perfect world, I'd build a sunroom that uses the exterior walls of the house and garage as 2 of the 4 walls...but I think that's going to be impossible with how the structures are positioned on the lot. I'd like to make good use of that dead space at the bend of the drive. And, I don't want the sunporch to overlap with the bay window as that's the eating area for the kitchen (and has a nice view of the back yard).

I have also considered having the garage moved so that it basically abuts the house, but then I wouldn't pick up any square footage.

And, I because I'm buying in a hot market, I have to be careful not to overspend on this little endeavor.

Am I nuts? The other option is to bail at the home inspection, but I think maybe 3 of the 40 houses I've looked at had attached garages...and they were all on tiny lots....this one is on a double lot :)

Typical sunroom 'vibe' here

Comments (2)