Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinamiscoe

HELP Construction STARTS TOMORROW! Kitchen Floor Plan- Thoughts?

tinamiscoe
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello!

This is a one bedroom one bath Guest House that we are going to rent out furnished. There is only one room for living/ dining/kitchen. The whole unit is around 700 square feet.

I feel like it needs a pantry.

I designed it as an Eat In Kitchen,

Thoughts?

Comments (50)

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• cawaps
    3 years ago

What's the question?

• Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

I too don’t get what your question is. You said you designed it as an eat-in kitchen. So what you pictured is your design? If so, why haven’t you ordered upper cabinets that meet the ceiling? If there is some other design you are asking about, then post it cause how else can we help you. In any case, if construction is starting tomorrow, how can anyone help you? It sounds like everything is ordered since construction is starting tomorrow.

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• tinadm
    3 years ago

Sorry I didn’t get to post everything at same time. Here is the floor plan.

The Photo is how it looks now. The framers are coming tomorrow to install the new entry door and windows.

the last time I posted everyone thought it should be a one wall kitchen. It’s a one wall kitchen now and I hate it. What do y’all think of turning the corner just a tad so I can get a pantry in there and some more counter space?

this is a one bedroom guest house we are going to rent.

thank you!

• megs1030
    3 years ago

I honestly don’t think you need a pantry for a one bedroom guest house / apartment that you’ll be renting. One (or two) people shouldn’t need so much food that they’d miss a pantry. I think the L shaped kitchen is great, though. Much better than one wall of cabinets.

• Carrie B
    3 years ago

That kitchen chair looks awfully close to the stove top. Assuming each floor square is 12", that's not enough clearance. I can't tell from your illustration where the door(s) is/are, but I'd move the table either to the top left or the bottom right of your diagram if you stick with a table/chairs. Right in the middle of the kitchen just looks too cramped.

In a small kitchen, especially, corners contribute to wasted space. I'd either stick with the one-wall kitchen, moving the stove to the left 18-24" to give you more usable counter space between the sink & the stove, or add an island with seating and a sink instead of the table for a galley kitchen.

tinamiscoe thanked Carrie B
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

A thin (shallow) pantry would make more sense on the side of the fridge with a cabinet above to match the heights of the uppers:

tinamiscoe thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • tinadm
    3 years ago

Yes great idea! I will put a little pantry at the end of the fridge. Great idea. I can’t show it in this case but we will do it.

I moved the exterior door and got the table out of the middle of the kitchen.

Mae will put uppers and open shelves. I’m just not a CAD expert here. I can’t get the upper to go on top of the fridge but of course we will have one. Y’all like this better? I pushed the framers back to tomorrow :)

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

That’s nice. And it’s a movable table, right? I actually like it in the middle. Unless you switch the couch and chair, maybe.

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I should say my husband is a contractor so I suppose we do things differently/stupidly/quickly. You get the idea.

The framers were available today so he wanted them to pop over. I pushed them back to tomorrow. You can see right now there are no windows. It is a cave. So I just need to lay this out so tomorrow they can install the new door and windows over the sink.

The last time I posted everyone thought since the room was one room for living, dining and kitchen that the kitchen should be just one wall. I designed it that way but I didn't like it. I'm in the kitchen a lot so I am guilty of making large kitchens.

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Y'all Helped me design this about five years ago. Maybe some of you remember?

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes Moveable table and yes I can switch the couch and the chair. Let me fix and I will repost. Yall like this layout better?

• chispa
    3 years ago

Where will your renter put the TV?

• chispa
    3 years ago

Who is your target market for renting? Younger or older? As a young adult I did very little cooking in the kitchens I rented ... I was out studying, working, exercising and/or socializing!

• tinadm
    3 years ago

The TV would be on the wall across from the chair.

I have never been able to nail down a target tenant. I’ve had older single people look at it and young teachers . so it’s all over the board. But it’s only enough room for a single or a couple. I like to cook and I live in my kitchen so I have a tendency to make big kitchens.

• Muriel Thompson
    3 years ago

I agree with Chispa. I think this is far more kitchen than what is needed or appropriate for the small space. Over the New Years holiday I stayed in short term rental that had the kitchen appliances and cabinetry all on one wall, and it was very efficient and more functional than I expected. An L is nice but not necessary, and you can go with a lot less cabinetry.

• new-beginning
    3 years ago

I live in a 900 sq ft 2BR/1BA apt and my living/dining/kitchen area is approx 30 ft long X 15 ft wide. I have a 'one-wall' kitchen with horrible cabinets and manage to cook a lot (even with very little counter-space). Just keep in mind this kitchen is NOT for you to use.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I think I remember your kitchen planning thread. Was that Jillius' design?

• tinadm
    3 years ago

This would not be a short term rental but rather a long term rental. So the kitchen needs to be functional. Our rental price point will be on the higher side so most likely no College students.

it’s a small space. The living dining kitchen is 17x18. So Ideally you want the kitchen to be a third, the dining to be a third and the living to be a third Right?

But a one wall kitchen just seems so dysfunctional to me

Perhaps an “eat in kitchen” with a Moveable table or an island in the middle with stools.

I guess I design the way I would like it because I think others would like it too. I also buy rental property where I would like to live. Kind of the same line of thinking.

Perhaps an L shape kitchen with the dining on the opposite side of the L? Then it’s not a one wall kitchen but not a massive U Shape kitchen?

The kitchen in my main house y’all helped me design! You guys have THE BEST advice. I had a local kitchen designer but I can’t remember her name. And she made a few small mistakes you guys picked up on.

I also thought we should order matching cabinets like we used in the main house but husband doesn’t want to because they were spendy and this is a rental.

I lost the time slot with the framers and so now they can’t come back for at least a week Which is ok because it gives me some time. They’re going to install the door and new windows. So I just need to figure out the layout. And how many windows I want. It’s really dark in there So I was thinking of installing several windows on the sink wall. Maybe two or three

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

So you don’t have the windows yet?
    Just make sure you leave enough wall space between the window and the corner so you can install wall cabinets on the stove side.

tinamiscoe thanked emilyam819
  • tinadm
    3 years ago

No windows no doors yet.

what do y’all think of this? It’s tight between the range and the table. I could swap the fridge and the range?

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• Muriel Thompson
    3 years ago

This is the one wall kitchen that I found to be very, shockingly functional. Aside from needing more prep space between the sink and range, it was great. If I were going to live there, I would want some closet/pantry space nearby, but this likely would have been sufficient for me back when I was living solo in a place the size you describe.

• tinadm
    3 years ago

Yes I have that’s floor plan as an option. I can post it. It was 18” cabinets on either side of the range. Then sink and dishwasher then fridge. I can post it if you want to see. The door will be on that wall so it’s going to be a bit more compact than what you have there.

• rebunky
    3 years ago

I feel like I’m having deja vu! My husband is a GC and we remolded our tiny “cabin“ with the thought of it being a rental. We ended up moving into though. Long story! :*)))

Our cabin is actually even smaller then yours at around 500 sq ft. The wonderful folks here helped me so much to design, not only the kitchen, but the whole house. (Plus helped some on my bigger kitchen in another house. Another thing we have in common!)

Before I forget, I just wanted to say your kitchen is absolutely stunning. I love everything! Especially the vintage sink and stove. Oh and that marble! The wood on ceiling. I could go on and on, so let me get back to your cottage.

I don’t know if it helps but here’s what we ended up with for the kitchen/dining/living rm.

I added that shelf unit under the window because my appliances were cluttering up the counters and I’d have to store some stuff in my shed outside and lug them in as needed. It’s not pretty but it works.

I also recently added a rolling cart with a stainless top and more shelving underneath that parks up against the side of the couch. The more storage the better.! When needed we pull it out and butt it up to the end of the counter to the left of the stove to act like a peninsula. The cart and counter are the exact same height. It works great.

I have the couch like that to face the view. It is just me and my husband, so the small table with two chairs is all we need. If we have a few guests, we end up out on the lanai.

The front door is to the right of the fridge and the stacked laundry closet to the right of front door. Ok here’s a picture that I just took. My house is super dirty right now so don’t look too close.

Then there’s the bathroom and bedroom passed the living room. If we had a little more space like you, I would have been able to have a full size fridge. That is one thing I don’t like. We compromised on the smaller one because dh wanted the full size dw, and I wanted a bigger sink. We do have a second fridge in our storage shed a few steps out the front door, so it is not too bad. Especially needed when we do Costco runs.

If your rental turns out even a quarter as nice as your kitchen, you’ll for sure get top dollar for it!

• tinadm
    3 years ago

Oh I like that! The wall gives you a little entry way. I would have to flip that floor plan because my door will be on the other side.

I think that would create more counter space.

Out on the Lanai! Are you in Hawaii?

• rebunky
    3 years ago

Yes we’re on the Big Island. If you want to see what a complete indecisive nutcase I was and the extreme patience of so many that stuck though to the final design with me, I think if you go to my profile you’ll find my two loooong threads under something like Teany tiny kitchen or vacation rental. I must have gone through 50 different layouts before everyone agreed on “the one”! Good fun and we had some laughs along the way. I’m forever grateful for their help. Many folks I see are still posting, but many left sometime ago. I miss all my gardenweb buddies. i don’t post much anymore but I try and help when I can. I’ll look forward to see the outcome of your cottage!

• mle0782
    3 years ago

Closet and storage space? I am guessing that anyone planning to rent longer than a day or two will want a place for a raincoat/sweater/ boots/golf clubs/vacuum or whatever. Maybe built in units between the pantry closet and door?

• tinadm
    3 years ago

There will be a large walk in closet off the bathroom. Also we are going to do an end cap next to the fridge as suggested in above comment for broom closet

the advice here is invaluable. I still LOVE my kitchen we designed five years ago.

I think this Is a good plan but feel free to rip it up !

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• tinadm
    3 years ago

also Do y’all think the cabinets should match the ones in the main house? Or not necessary?

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

Absolutely not necessary to match the other cabinets.

The only thing I don’t like about the layout is that there is not a cabinet on the other side of the microwave. It’ll always look unfinished and off balance.

• tinadm
    3 years ago

Yes I started with a U Shaped kitchen to begin with and everyone said it took up too much space. The consensus was that the kitchen should be a third. Living a third.

also if I add another wall of cabinets it’s going to infringe on the dining table. Unless y’all think the dining table should go in the middle?

the whole kitchen living dining space is only 18’ x 17’. This is a one bedroom. 700 square feet.

• tinadm
    3 years ago

Does anyone like this layout better?

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• tinadm
    3 years ago

• Muriel Thompson
    3 years ago

I like that layout better, but I think it needs uppers on the range wall.

tinamiscoe thanked Muriel Thompson
  • tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh yes I will do uppers on the range wall.

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I run the cabinets on the wall on the right side the range gets squeezed. You can see overhead it’s tight.

At this point I can put doors anywhere. The front door is on the sink wall and the bedroom door is to the right.

• tinamiscoe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The space is 17 x 18.

It’s a one bedroom back house we are going to rent.