Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096495

Covid hits home

User
3 years ago

My daughter works for a mason supply company. Her boss went on several trips for meetings throughout 3 provinces. When she returned to the office both she and my daughter work in, she stood beside my daughter for about 45 minutes telling staff about the meetings to get everyone on the 'same page'. She also told me her boss did this while NOT wearing a mask, which is mandatory in Alberta in ALL public buildings. She was diagnosed on Monday with Covid.

I asked her, "did YOU have your mask on?" She said yes. I said I think you should be okay. But I knew there was still a small chance.

"Well?" she said, "after work I sat in her office to wait for my boyfriend to pick me up and I took mine off." My heart sank. I couldn't be mad at her because I work in a store and 99/100, when I'm in the back room or in my bosses office, I take mine off as well. But I know my boss works and goes home. Works and goes home. Works and goes home. She only allows her brother inside her house because their mother lives with her and her brother has the same life.

She went for a Covid test Tuesday and Wednesday morning I texted her to see if she was feeling well. She was taking her inhaler because she was 99% sure her asthma was acting up. She said she felt much better than the day before, "it's probably just a cold". Denial set in.

She called me 2 hours later on my cell at work, just as I was about to relieve a cashier for her break. "I need to take this call, sorry!'

"Hi mooommmmm! I have the vid...."

I had to sit down. And I had to get her to repeat it twice because I was hoping I heard her wrong. "I'm okay mom!" "sure, okay" I said. "Mom, really. I'm okay!" My voice shook and I started to cry. "Okay Mindy. You're going to be okay."

My fear: she has asthma. And when she was little, she had bronchitis and pneumonia a few times. Her lungs are already compromised. Last time she had pneumonia was grade 12 and it was double pneumonia.

"Keep using that inhaler! And keep hydrated!!"

A talked to a co-worker who had it before Christmas and she gave me a list of advice that I forwarded to my daughter: move move move. Drink drink drink, especially hot herbal teas. She gave me a list of things to buy to make tea, such as oregano leaves, ginger, cinnamon sticks and lemon. Another coworker made a super spicy Indian tea and brought it to work twice for me to bring to her. A doctor from health services phones her daily to check on her because of the asthma and she has no regular family doctor. I bought her a pulse-oximeter and her readings have been VERY good according to him He says she is not breathless while talking to him which is also good. She lost her sense of taste and smell so all her food tastes the same: cardboard. She gives daily updates on her Facebook page with a great sense of humour. I brought her snacks and a big teddy bear. My son dropped off a veggie platter, magazine and a hand made get well card from my grandson. We put the items on her doorstep, ring the bell and stand back about 20' to visit.

Her boyfriend tested negative so far. He will have to quarantine another week longer than her, once she feels well to make sure he doesn't get it in the meantime. She says right now her chest feels tight like it does when your asthmas is bothering you, but there's no wheezing or rattling. She's drinking so much herbal tea and water she's about to float away. She's lost 8 pounds so far but was finally able to get some food down yesterday. I made her a huge pot of chicken soup. It was all she could eat two days ago so she had a few bowls. Chicken soup fixes everything... it's all I can do to help her. Her doctor said she's over the worst of it. She said if this is the worst, she's doing great. She wasn't able to sleep at all the day she was diagnosed because she was so afraid she wouldn't wake up. Once the doctor assured her she was okay, she got a good sleep, until her cat woke her up at 3:30 a.m..... She's very fatigued. Walking from the couch to the bathroom exhausts her and its only 15'.

For anyone here who thinks it can't happen to them and you decide to let your guard down; IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU. KEEP THE MASK ON EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU CAN TRUST THE PERSON IN THE ROOM WITH YOU. I don't take mine off at work at all now. I wear it 8 hours a day, less 1/2 an hour for my lunch break. If I can wear it that long while doing a physical job (I'm a shipper receiver and merchandiser, and cashier) who lifts very heavy items all day.... you can wear one grocery shopping.

Comments (42)

• Michele
    3 years ago

Debby. Speaking as a mom, I feel for you. Sounds like she’s doing everything she can. Chicken soup? Made with a mother’s loving hands and heart? Perfect. I’m sending prayers for a quick and complete recovery!

User thanked Michele
  • arkansas girl
    3 years ago

If it makes you feel any better, everyone that I know that contracted covid are now just fine! Even a guy that had a kidney transplant and is pretty old, 70s! He's just fine, very mild symptoms. He's already out and about after two weeks of quarantine.

User thanked arkansas girl
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sending wishes for a complete and speedy recovery. I too am a mom and understand how you must feel

User thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • lucillle
    3 years ago

Debby, I hope your daughter continues to recover without serious complications. When Covid strikes your children, that is too close to home. I am sure your attention, gifts of chicken soup, and advice are helping to keep her spirits up, you are a good Mom.

User thanked lucillle
  • stacey_mb
    3 years ago

Debby, I hope your daughter is feeling better soon and that she doesn't have any lingering effects from the infection. She's very fortunate to have the support from you and others. I'm sure this is an enormous help to her at this difficult time.

User thanked stacey_mb
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

Debby, she should be fine. I had terrible bouts with bronchitis as a kid and various lung problems my whole life. My husband and I both tested positive in mid November. It felt like we both had mild colds. Our son is a doctor and has had it. Both our daughter and SIL have had it. In fact, today's the last day of our daughter's quarantine. She's a teacher and teaching from home, but our SIL brought it home from work. She did mention the same chest tightness your daughter has. Clearly it affects everyone differently but has been mild for all of us. We're still very much keeping our guard up. DH and I are eligible for the vaccine but the distribution here in CA has NOT been handled well.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Sending get well wishes to your daughter, Debby. I know you are doing everything possible to make her feel better, and she is lucky you are there for her.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

I have been reading, that especially for those of us who have asthma, to start doing a routine daily of very deep breathing to help expand the lungs. The one I have been using is take in a very deep breath, hold as long as you can, breathe out. Do this 5 times in a row. After you complete that then do a deep cough. You can do this routine as much as you want. It's a good thing for everyone. Expanding your lungs for maximum inhales is a good thing.

Good luck to her. I also take zinc daily. Many of the hospital protocols are using zinc and Z-pack antibiotics in combination with other medications.

User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • functionthenlook
    3 years ago

Did her boss test positive for covid?

• jkayd_il5
    3 years ago

Prayers for your daughter to have a complete recovery.

User thanked jkayd_il5
  • Annegriet
    3 years ago

I am also hoping that things go well for your daughter and that she has a quick and complete recovery.

User thanked Annegriet
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

So so sorry Debby! It sounds like your DD is being well cared for. Hope she continues to do well and gets her sense of taste and smell back quickly.

User thanked yeonassky
  • SEA SEA
    3 years ago

So very sorry to hear this. I'm sending get well wishes for everyone--and stay well wishes for everyone else!! It's so darn contagious.

User thanked SEA SEA
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

Debby, I'm so sorry. Be sure to take some deep breaths yourself, this has to be adding to your stress and stress lowers our immune response. Sending positive energy to your daughter for increased recovery!

User thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Dolly
    3 years ago

So sorry to hear this. I wish people would avoid unnecessary travel. Positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.

User thanked Dolly
  • socks
    3 years ago

You are in my heart and thoughts as I feel your crushing worry.

User thanked socks
  • Ded tired
    3 years ago

Oh gosh, Debby, I’m sorry. At least she has youth on her side. I hope she recovers quickly and completely. My sons girlfriend has it now and he is waiting for the results of his test. I’m sure neither one of them was being as careful as they should.

User thanked Ded tired
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

Oh, I feel so sorry for her and for all the people who stayed healthy for months, and then just as the vaccines are rolling out, they come down with COVID.

User thanked graywings123
  • kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

Keeping her in my prayers that she keeps feeling better every day.

User thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • Kathsgrdn
    3 years ago

I'm sorry to hear this. My daughter started working in a bar about 2 weeks ago. I tried to talk her out of it but she isn't eligible for unemployment anymore and I can only help her so much. Before the pandemic she was used to working two jobs. Her new job, she wore a mask but told me the other workers would take theirs' off indoors to smoke after the customers went home. Not a good thing and she knew it but has bills to pay.

I hope both our daughters recover soon. Take care, will be keeping you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers.

User thanked Kathsgrdn
  • Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

"She lost her sense of taste and smell so all her food tastes the same: cardboard."

I read an article a few days ago (but I cannot find it now to link it) that said that folks who lose their sense of taste and smell do not have the dangerous lung involvement with Covid. I pray that this holds true for your daughter.

User thanked Lindsey_CA
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

Just a couple of suggestions for your daughter, for those with lung problems even if those problems were long ago. First even if you can not taste anything unless you are throwing it up EAT. If you do not have enough incoming nutrients after a while your body will turn on itself and it can lead to death.

For those with lung problems something that stuck in my mind after my father had a major stroke was the respiratory therapist telling me that if Dad could understand me tell him to hum to prevent build up of mucus in his lungs. Try humming or singing in different tones from a high squeak to a deep base. Doing this has stretched the scars in my lungs.

User thanked maifleur03
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

Debby a friend of mine who lives in Edmonton contacted the virus this summer/fall. She had a baby at the beginning of the year and is in her 30's. She too lost her sense of taste and smell and was exhausted all the time.

She's fine now, but she quarantined alone in a room while her hubby took care of the baby.

My landlords got it 2 weeks ago......he got it from his work. They quarantined as well, as her 70-something year old mom lives with them who had cancer 3 years ago. They got the clear/go-ahead this week.

Best of luck to your daughter! You're doing all you can do for her ((Hugs))

User thanked Jasdip
  • joyfulguy
    3 years ago

What a load to carry, for this to come to your daughter who's had to deal with compromised lungs since childhood.

It's helpful to hear that the doctor, and she feels that she's over the worst - but tired out after a 15 foot walk shows the difficulties.

I hope that she comes through it soon and has a full recovery, without complications, and ño ongoing restrictions, especially on those vulnerable lungs.

I send a truckload of good wishes to you both, and offer prayers on your behalf.

(((((Mindy, Debby and family)))))

Good wishes for a speedy, uncomplicared and complete recovery for your daughter, Kathsgrdn, plus some prayers, and hopes for some balm for your heart, as well.

I just thought - that daughter and her husband in Atlanta area had a light dose of it, back last summer so she said when I first heard of it recently.

ole joyful

User thanked joyfulguy
  • undertoad
    3 years ago

Three of my good friends have had the virus and have recovered. One is a rather frail 87 year old woman! Best wishes for your daughter.

User thanked undertoad
  • wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

Hope she feels better soon and recovers quickly.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

I'm sorry to hear this. I had it in December and my doctor gave me a list of vitamins to take, along with a baby aspirin. Her doctor should be giving her similar direction. I had to use our health system app and report my temp and oxygen level daily.

Aso, if she is on Facebook, there is a good group called Survivor Corps. Lots of information there, and in fact, I just read a post by a woman with asthma. Hope it's a quick and light case!

User thanked Bluebell66
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bluebell66, I also bought her 81mg aspirin as soon as I got off the phone with her when she told me she tested positive. I told her to take one a day and asked if she needed vitamins C, D or zinc. She actually got a set of vitamins as a Christmas gift from her work, so she was stocked up already. :)

Thank you everyone for all your well wishes! It means a lot Second batch of soup has been delivered. :)

• kadefol
    3 years ago

I bet she will be just fine! Here’s what a medical site says: But the majority who lost their sense of smell experienced a mild form of the disease, according to new research.

And the chicken soup will help get her back to normal in no time. : )

User thanked kadefol
  • Ont_Gal
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So sorry to hear of this, Debby. Keep that chicken soup going and LOTS of ginger-in a tea or cold drink.

Extra special thoughts for Mindy ((((Hugs))))

User thanked Ont_Gal
  • tami_ohio
    3 years ago

Sending prayers

User thanked tami_ohio
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Hope your family recovers well and quickly, Debby (nothing better than mom's chicken soup to make a person feel loved!).

And thanks for sharing the reminder ... stay safe everyone, we're too close to the end to quit now!

User thanked nickel_kg
  • sleeperblues
    3 years ago

Sounds like she is doing everything right. Prayers for a full recovery.

User thanked sleeperblues
  • katlan
    3 years ago

I hope she recovers quickly and completely. Everything is so much worse when its your kids isn't it?

I'm wondering also, did her boss test positive? Or anyone else at her work?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

Prayers sent. Hope she has a quick recovery!

User thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • heritagehd07
    3 years ago

Sending good wishes for a complete and swift recovery for your daughter

User thanked heritagehd07
  • chisue
    3 years ago

Wishing your girl WELL! Hoping the fatigue will lift soon. Eat, even if that means just small bites throughout the day. Eat *anything*; this is no time for dieting!

Breathe like an opera singer -- from the diaphram, not raising shoulders. Fill your lungs, then take a few more 'sips' of air before exhaling.

Regarding the asthma...what kind of inhaler are you talking about? A 'rescue' inhaler is albuterol, not intended for extensive use. Does she have a routine maitenance inhaler (like Advair)? I have a home nebulizer to help clear lungs.

User thanked chisue
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

chisue the one time in the doctor's office that I used a nebulizer the medicine that was used was albuterol. I would caution on using it to frequently but there are others that are also used. What is in most inhalers is the powdered form and not the liquid used in nebulizers.

User thanked maifleur03
  • Ded tired
    3 years ago

Debby, I hope she is doing well today. Y sons test came back negative despite being with his girlfriend who is positive.

User thanked Ded tired
  • Dolly
    3 years ago

Debby, thinking of you.

User thanked Dolly
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

Debbie - Thinking of you and your daughter and hoping for a quick recovery for her (and for you). It's so great that you have such supportive friends and co-workers around you and who care for you and your daughter. You are both lucky people to have them in your lives.

User thanked blfenton