Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orangecamera

Best home warranty company for expensive refrigerator?

orangecamera
3 years ago

I'm buying a house with some expensive appliances, especially an older subzero refrigerator. I would love to have it covered in case it craps out within the first year. What home warranty company would be most likely to pay a claim for expensive appliances? Ideally, I'll cover all the kitchen appliances plus the furnace, water heater, AC, heat pump....

Delaware, if that matters. I'm buying it separately, not as part of the real estate transaction.

Comments (8)

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

If your SZ craps out, the repair company will be the lowest bidder with little/no experience with expensive brands. Parts might not even be available, and I'm pretty sure they won't replace with a fridge of equal value/quality.

• kevinande
    3 years ago

Home warranty companies are in business to make money, not replace your appliances. They will patch whatever appliance it is that is not working and when its finally past the point of no return, they will likely only offer a buy out. Trust me you are not buying a modern SZ with the buy out. Read the fine print!

• orangecamera
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for these replies. I’ll just put money aside and replace when necessary.

• Sammy
    3 years ago

How old is the refrigerator? What model is it? Mine is 21 years old this month and still going strong.

• orangecamera
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sammy, that’s good to know! I don’t know the age, but the model number is 650.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Depending on the warranty there may be an age limit on any object that will be covered. I was almost talked into one to cover all of the appliances including furnace and a/c until I asked about how long they were covered. That company only covered things that were ten years or less. Only one of the appliances were that young.

• ktj1224
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Same boat on appliances in our new house with old appliances. We have First American Home Warranty and have had some luck, but we have the upgraded policy and I am pretty certain even with that policy the Max fridge replacements at $4K. You can get money to replace, if you don't opt for their replacement, but I don't know of any professional fridges under $7K. The benefit of old appliances is they aren't making the parts anymore, so replacement is quite possible. Our dishwasher broke within the first month and they did offer to replace it, but it was a Thermador that retails for $2200 today and they found a Bloomberg with literally the exact same features/functions for $900. They have to replace with same feautures/cycles, not necessarily brand, price point, etc. I opted for the $900 and used it towards buying what I wanted. Our 20 year old oven is now down and out and I'm waiting on their review and praying they can't get the parts to fix it!!! If they cannot get the parts, you will get a replacement option. We had an HVAC replaced in previous house under same scenario, so I've had some successes, but some is the luck of the contractor they send out. The good thing with appliances is they send appliance repairmen that are familiar with higher end brands at least in my experience.