Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stush49

Say Aloe to my new plant!

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Been looking for this for awhile. My son up and gave it to me. This Tulista (haworthia) marginata doesn't produce pups so coping has to be by seed or a leaf cutting. Never did a leaf cutting on Aloe or haworthia before. Saw a u-tube video on it and make it look easy. Yea right.

Just saw this at Lowes. Looks to be a Tulista hybrid??? One of their no ID in stupid pots with no drain holes.

Leaves too thick to be haworthia? For $8 figured why not. The others had some brown spots that could be rot from cold. Plant was in dry peat. Of course I re-potted.

Comments (10)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Aloe, lol...

Hard to get to used to the new names. Worse is the Sansevieria I think. Those plants are nice. Hope you'll be successful with a leaf cutting!

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Some more Aloes new to me;

Aloes does best with pups removed so I de-pupped it and they are all doing well. Unlike Sansevieria which I think does best when grown in a family group, Aloes do best when left signal.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Adding another Aloe to the list. I was gifted an Aloe Christmas Carol. Loved it, and then saw Christmas Sleigh. So thought I saw one miss labeled and purchased it. Well it turned out to be another Christmas Carol so now I have lots of them.

This is a Christmas Carol not Sleigh.

More;

I though this was Sleigh due to the darker blue/green coloration of the leaves but turns out to be another Carol. Which at this point I don't care due to they look almost exactly alike. Sleigh has distinct red spines while Carol seems to run into each other.

Came with lots of pups which I removed and potted up.

Group photo of all my Christmas Carol.

Here's a photo of actual Christmas Sleigh. Not mine. Note how distinct the red spines are.

Point being, Just too close to make a difference to me.

Come summer heat and full sun, I believe they will have a deeper purplish haze to them making them even more beautiful.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    3 years ago

Stush

I think I have Ch. Carol, but like the Purple Haze...maybe you can save me an offset...

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Got another one from Lowes. They were almost sold out of these. Just a little larger then the other one from last week. For a dollar more. Still no ID but thinking it's Tulista hybrid. Still in a stupid pot.

Here they are side by side. The larger one is most recent purchase.

From the top.

Ohh, Rina, Got you marked down for a Purple Haze come spring.

• robinswfl
    3 years ago

Stush, I love your photos of the Aloe Christmas sleigh -- love those red spines! We have a LOT of the Christmas Carol aloes here in Florida.....they show up regularly in big box store and they are sooooo pretty....but that RED Christmas sleigh is rarer, harder to come by and truly beautiful.

Now and then I must give thanks for living in FL where -- I don't have to move my plants in at all! There is a woman and a nursery about 30 miles north of me who does mail order via Etsy. It's NOT an open-to-the-public nursery, but she has some fascinating aloe varieties. It's on Etsy at ParadiseFoundNursery. I really want to order a few plants from her and see if I can drive up and pick them up personally, rather than having them mailed....maybe get to nose around her nursery a little....I hope.....

Have never seen anything like your Tulista. Hard for me to get used to those new names, and I'm challenged to get used to the "new look" of that as a Haw. But they are fascinating to see for the first time. You are a "master grower" in my opinion, so I always read your posts and pay attention to the plants you introduce us to. Thank you!

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked robinswfl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

To me anyway, I feel that all plants that could interbreed are of one and the same. So in that thinking, They are all Aloes to me. Some Haworthia are more aloe like than others and were re-grouped into different species like Tulista which are some of the tallest growing Haworthia but small compared to Aloes.

Below is a seed pod that fell into this pot from when they were outside last summer and thru the winter they sprouted into something of which I don't really know. I think the pod came from an aloe looking haworthia but not sure.

They completely over took the pot that the Agave vict was in. Most hybrids show fast hardy growth. This spring I am going to transplant. Following year I will give out to many friends here.

This Agave is weird due to the fact that it stays very small and pups like crazy.

Also I found some Oak acorns sprouting in my pots now. There are no oak trees anywhere around my house so I think it was from some strange chipmunks that like to travel long distance.

• robinswfl
    3 years ago

You hit the jackpot! I too have seen these on Etsy and a couple of other places for considerably higher prices, as you mention....and then there's the $10 to ship. I myself love Aloe Swordfish, have been tempted to get one (except I have too many plants already to properly care for). But for the price of one on Etsy, you bought a small jungle at Lowes. They are beautiful! Congratulations....and enjoy them!

Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 thanked robinswfl
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Purchased another Aloe on Etsy. Had to have. (again last time)

Very similar to Aloe Purple Haze but looks a little darker or more pointer. Side by side comparison I'll show this summer grown together under same conditions to see.