Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_547675054

New build shutters and window question

Sandy
3 years ago

We are in the final design stage for our new build and I am seriously questioning leaving off the shutters. I was hoping to get some opinions on the shutters to share with my husband :)

My second issue is the single arched top window. I feel like these are so overdone, but am not sure if it’s necessary for some visual interest. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago
  • PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I say, no shutters. They may be added later if desired.

No arched window. Already plenty of "visual interest".

Your windows all look to be the same height. Consider making the ones on the first floor taller. I might make the one over the door 1 pane narrower making it the same width as the door.

The windows under the bay roof seem hidden, as if the roof is pulled down over them.

Try larger columns on shorter bases. I wonder if round columns would work? The one I changed left of the door may be too big.

Note the roof I've circled and how they differ. Consider changing to the simpler form shown on the left.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Functional shutters or no shutters.

Windows should be evaluated from the inside and outside.

Who (what) designed this house?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO you already have too many different things going on so no shutters . No arched windows anywhaere and what are the finishes on the exterior. I also think way too many squares with all the grids in the windows and squares in the garge doors too busy of an exterior IMOThis is IMO another house where the roof is too much roof

• res2architect
    3 years ago

No shutters or jerkenhead clipped gables and all one cladding material. The lintels in the stone wall should extend beyond the window jambs and should be solid not brick soldier courses.

The design combines features from 4 or 5 historic design styles from different centuries and continents. Pick one or two.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

if you do install shutters I would suggest making them operable, installing shutter dogs to hold them in place and size them to fit the windows. That would be hard to do with the wider windows. I might also suggest eliminating the stone base of the porch columns and install real, solid wood columns that go all the way down to the porch. If you are going to have an arched top window where it is placed is the best place for it. The arched top window is somewhat passe and what you would expect to find in a builder grade house. Would also suggest using another garage door - one with lites (windows) at the top in some configuration. Good luck!

• Sandy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I appreciate the feedback everyone. We will be upgrading to garage doors with windows. We are working with a production builder, which was not my wish, but trying to make the best of it. And I really appreciate the image your created, it’s very helpful @PPF.

• res2architect
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The basic form of this house is medieval French Chateau (Manor House) with American Craftsman wood shingles and front farmer's porch; English front facing gables and Germanic jerkenheads. Its no wonder you aren't sure if there should be shutters on the windows.

Find a logical central architectural theme for the house before trying to design the details.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

We are working with a production builder, which was not my wish, but trying to make the best of it.

And let me guess there's only stone on the front facade?

• worthy
    3 years ago

The basic form of this house is medieval French Chateau (Manor House) with American Craftsman wood shingles and front farmer's porch; English front facing gables and Germanic jerkenheads.

IOW, Neo-eclectic. (Though one doubts that as much profound thought went into devising it as went into analyzing it.)

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    3 years ago

I like your turret, but did you want the porch roof to intersect it? I think for me, I would do a door overhang of some kind, maybe a barrel roll shape or one of the pros here could draw an idea for it, and let the turret stand tall by itself. As drawn it looks cut in half and the roof doesn't give you "usable porch" space anyways.