Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginya9

Exterior colors for red brick rambler

ginya9
3 years ago

Advice for the cedar shakes and trim on my mid century brick rambler please....

I have left over trim enamel paint Sherwin Williams In The Navy that I'm going to use for the front door.

The previous owners put in very nice vinyl windows - in cream - so I feel that I'm stuck with a cream for the trim (the current trim paint was perfectly matched to the vinyl so you have a good idea what color the vinyl is from the photos) but I'm open to suggestions there

The second photo shows the gable a little better away from the Magnolia tree. There are shakes on either side of the house on the gables as well.

Comments (15)

• er612
    3 years ago

Does the garage door match the trim or is it white? Also, are there shutters on the large windows? If so, I would remove.

• ginya9
    Original Author
    3 years ago

the garage door is white so it needs to be painted trim color once I decide

there are not shutters, those are built in vents in the large windows

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

have you thought about staining them?

• ginya9
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They are stained now and I'm open to that but a little worried about the upkeep....I've had shake before on other homes and stain doesn't seem to hold up as well as paint....Also the two pictures were taken only 4 years apart and you can see how the stain didn't hold up...what are your thoughts?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

what if you did a blue tint

• ginya9
    Original Author
    3 years ago

that does look good with the creamy trim too, thanks!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

The problem with today's stains is that they are not oil based and really don't last long. I like the blue suggestion, but other colors to consider are a gray from the roof or a creamy white that compliments the trim color

• ginya9
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you!

because I'm doing the front door "in the navy" by Sherwin Williams I'm thinking a gray like "peppercorn"

I could do that on the garage door too, or just the trim color

the trim is mostly in good shape so I can wait to paint it down the road if the door and gable work with it....

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Those shingles are too big and rustic for that smallish space...I would replace them with smaller... non wooden ones...or perhaps siding...as either will look crisper, ...more proportionate with the brick....a good accent color with brick would be a green shade that ties in with the setting better and is a more naturally earthy color to complement the brick and the surroundings

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Since the brick and the roof read dark i would avoid a dark color on the door..go with something bright and uplifting to draw the eye there

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Perhaps a golden yellow or even lime green

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Painting the concrete porch would be nice as well...again to draw the eye to the entry...since it will probably be pretty shaded in the summer

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Even spray paint the railing to match the trim?

• ginya9
    Original Author
    3 years ago

sadly replacing shingles (there are 3 gables) won't be in the budget....

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

That navy door will fall flat, its not going to pop think about a few shades in a "brighter" direction.

Gray will be fine for the shingles too but I would not do a dark blue door.