Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

A meal that pleases everyone?....various diets, allergies....

Bored and starting a menu for an outdoor big get-together for 2021 August. Like the past...one in 2018...had to have multiple choices.

Say we have all diets...and sensitivities.

Nailed desserts. Prepped ahead fruit pops, vegan ice cream sandwiches, choices, no bowls plates or silverware...a vegan chocolate cake cut in wedges...no plates.

Two 4X8 counter height tables. Raw wood but covered in big linen fabric. Outside near the grill/smoker.

Lots of bowls. Fresh washed garden greens and fruits. Fresh pickles.

Breville juicer and commercial blender with tons of garden veg/fruit. At one end..(I've never done that)

and fruit spa water, 🙄, watermelon, etc.

We are so starved to see each other I bet we will get 75+ attendance.

No charcuterie. No cheese platters.

Raw, vegan, celiac, keto, most are normals (😂) Should please everyone. Especially the juice/blender bar.

Thinking smoked pork shoulder, smoked chickens, smoked salmon slabs. Ribs?

Lots of leafy lettuce for wraps. A few fresh dressing choices.

We are starving for a party....

Something to look forward to...?

Thinking it through, I'm not intimidated with the easy do-ahead prep. (DH is a good prep chopper)

Comments (14)

• plllog
    3 years ago

It all sounds lovely! Maybe add a few teriyaki seitan and portobellos for the grill for the vegans and other non-meat eaters? Those hold together better than tempeh, tofu, etc. Most Raw, I believe, eat lightly warmed, under 120 F IIRC, and would like a portobello cap.

Do you intend no starches, or just not there yet?

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Soo... just visual at this point. I just never thought in the past to do a green juice, blender, and a raw juice bar. Fruit trees, and massive greens...root crops...golden beets.

Big bowl of asian pears, apples, plums, grapes, blueberries...or whatever is harvesting at the moment. Cucumbers!

Good grief...7-8 months away...but fun to plan.

I just see a more than average attendance. All know my farm. We all need this connection.

Planning is day before, two day before prep. Fun to visualize.

• plllog
    3 years ago

Definitely fun!

Sorry--I thought you were looking for planning help. Visualize away!

The juice bar is a great idea, especially with fruit trees winking at the beginnings of harvest time for a backdrop.

• olychick
    3 years ago

It sounds fabulous, but I think there are more than 75 of us reading here. My one thought was how you plan on cleaning a blender between concoctions. And the juicer (I haven't used one so am not sure if they need to be cleaned between types of juices). Like once someone makes a green juice but I don't want a green juice, would it have to be washed?

• lindac92
    3 years ago

I think you need some beans there as a protein for the veggie crowd....and certainly a few crusty loaves of bread.

Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I realize I'm sounding a bit abstract. The 'good grief' was to myself. 😂. Maybe just a bit starved to plan a party. Even a small dinner party.

20 years ago a chef friend wanted to punch walls with all the special dietary needs. Now is as accommodating as a kitten. Enjoys the challenge.

I think it was 2018 when a good friend was smitten with a new girlfriend we had not met. He texted a few times about the menu. I found myself overly obsessed making sure I had all things covered. Undressed green salads. A few dressing choices. Beans, grains, pasta salads...gluten-free pasta. Go to the garden and pick your own salad, beans, etc. (the girlfriend did not last long, 🙄...delicate city girl on a farm)

Years ago vegetarians would often bring their own tofu/veg dogs to a bbq. Or something similar.

I found myself down a menu rabbit hole after reading an article about restaurants covid take-out menu planning. Price-fix meals. A five course meal needs 5 or more choices in each category.

Early lock-down I ordered a full tray of portobellos. Good idea. So good. We had a few meals stuffed, then I made a big ragu for the freezer in 1/2 pints. For soups, risotto, etc.

-we have a juice and blender bar at work for around 125 people. Have had for years. Works like a charm. Covid now, we order and pick-up or gets delivered. They have the same juicer and blender I have. But two of each.

My visual and abstract was trying to think of a fixed 5 course meal if your dinner table of ten guests had all the specific dietary needs seated. Can't be done easily.

Why Sweetgreen does so well. Order on-line and pick-up or have delivered. Not the old fashioned help yourself salad bar. Made to order even pre-covid.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Started cleaning up my photo file and added a new desktop summer bbq folder. Going back 8 years. Dropped about 150 past pics in the folder so far. Have not made a corn cake in a while....yum. Making one tonight for sure. Can go full savory or fresh fruit topped.

Decided to not be too concerned about keto or raw. Keto has meat and veg/salads. Plenty choices for raw. Celiac doubles over in pain and needs to go to bed and wait it out. Some allergies need an emergency room and epi-pen.

Corn cakes freeze well.

I'll just leave out the feta/goat cheese. Freezer pops a big hit. My popsicle tray is a fixie. (handle attached). Only makes 5 small ones. I have one that takes wood sticks but can't find it.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I did a big grill party for my students as an end of the year celebration once. Two grills, one for the meat stuff and one for the vegetarians and vegans. It was a lot of fun.

One thing I've done now, it to collect a set of some fun yard games for future parties. We have hobo golf which we love, and croquet, which is a bit of a challenge.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Good point. I use my baby grill for veg and can use a cast iron under on the coals for tofu slabs. Good with a crust of everything bagel. Or umami dry rub, (porcini, etc).

My bonfire grill is a back-up and for late night snacks for those that camp and spend the night. I built it on a hill so the right side is about waist high and the left is perfect for blankets at about 10 inches high.

Cedar wood fired hot tub in the background...nudity!

Northern Tool. I did not pay 350. Mine is the smaller one. It is huge. The grill slides on a pivot. One handle not two. Very heavy steel.

My big side barrel smoker/grill is the meat baby.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Not exactly comprehending what this means...

"It sounds fabulous, but I think there are more than 75 of us reading here."

Do tell if I'm missing something.

If you don't like my posts, put me on your ignore list. Sorry if I wasted an ounce of your time?

6 or 8 people post here. Most have left over the years...75+ lurkers ?. Not sure what that means....

Anywho, lurk on.

I post less and less because of this.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

I think perhaps olychick was indicating that all of us reading the menu would want to show up, so your attendance would be more than 75. I'm sure her remark was intended to be kind.

• nancyjane_gardener
    3 years ago

That's what I got from it also.

• shambo
    3 years ago

Me too.