Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tillabrown

HELP!!! Updating my kitchen

tillabrown
3 years ago

So we bought our 1950’s cape cod 2 years ago. We loved that most of the house had been untouched and maintained. The kitchen still has the original cabinets and I thought that was cute. My husband and I both love vintage and mid century design. Unfortunately the kitchen just doesn’t function well. We love to cook and are in need of more storage and counter space. I’m ready to rip out the old cabinets and start fresh. My dilemma is I don’t want the kitchen to feel too cookie cutter or modern. I hate white kitchens and I want color. Do you think indigo blue on the base and a warmer wood upper would work?

Comments (19)

• herbflavor
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

always put your proposed plan forward initially. many times the plan you end up with dictates the surfaces......open shelves on some importamt wall areas means you can go darker on bases and maybe more tile on walls. Walls laden w cabs as needed storage means you may want white or light and even w glass doors........you may end up w a vertical pantry rollout cabinet....so that might be best different from other sections of the storage to break it up a bit. I only see one wall presented. certainly there is more to your space than that. and how about the opening into kitchen..is that to be made wider??? 1950's cape cod without much infrastructure changes ...just replacing? and getting a bit more cabinets and counter? i'd say stay uniform w colors whether wood or painted. Just depends on how much the plan will change your space and create opportunities.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Since the kitchen is small, I would do something like this on the window wall to maximize storage.

• tillabrown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@herbflavor here are a few more pictures. I would probably change the layout and knock down walls but we are on a budget and we have a tiny house. Every nook and cranny serves a purpose. It’s also a gas stove and I don’t want to move gas line or plumbing. My thought was to create an L-shape with the current layout that would continue to the stove. I wanted to add some cabinets opposite wall but the space is limited and I need to keep some area open for the breakfast nook because this is the only area we have for dining

• acm
    3 years ago

I think it should be possible to have contemporary cabinets and some color without totally disavowing the midcentury vibe. Maybe stick with flat panel fronts and wood, like your inspiration photo, and pick some other finishes (backsplash or floor tile) to tip your hat to the earlier era too.

• acm
    3 years ago

Just seeing the new photos -- what are the doors on either side of the fridge?

• tlynn1960
    3 years ago

I hope some of the pros will weigh in regarding that stand alone gas range. Definitely a safety issue with no adjacent counter buffering it plus no overhead ventilation which is critical with gas.

Before zeroing in on cabinet colors, develop a layout based on functionality and safety. Is the flooring staying (warm color so will drive all other decisions like cabinet and counter color)? The site retrorenovation.com has a lot of vintage/MCM style inspiration plus reno tips if you're not already familiar with it and wishing to stay true to your home's vintage roots.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

need storage and counter as much as you can. Bear in mind: depending on where you are and the housing sales situation.... people here grab these smaller bungalows/capes/tiny ranch homes and bump out to the exterior or open up the interior. I think its fine to work w the L shape but no exotic woods/ surfaces..... as someday, this floor plan will get more done to it...your appreciation and lack of interest to change the boundaries is fine but I'd stay modest w the expenditure [ like IKEA] ..use their planner . 7 foot and 10 foot wall it appears. Single bowl sink..maybe 18 in dishwsher. Can you get between the studs between window and little closet door and sink some storage shelves/ recessed.....that would not interfere w floor sq footage and it would keep character.

• tillabrown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi!

@acm the left door is a closet and the right door is a built in ironing board

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    3 years ago

What is behind the 2 doors on either side of the fridge? and behind the fridge? Is it possible to open up that space so the fridge can go further back? If you create a corner to the stove, you will have to deal with some sort of corner fixture. How much more space will you gain? How about a small shelf unit to the right of the stove and a folding shelf that would extend on the left side of the stove which could be put down when you need access to the cabinet in the corner.

My house is a 1956 ranch with knotty pine cabinets. I put a sea blue formica on the counters and have loved them for 20+ years. The blue really sets off the cabinets.

• tillabrown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi @tlynn1960, you bring up great points. There is a fan in the ceiling above the stove. The flooring is likely going to stay. I’m excited to check out the website you recommended!

• tillabrown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi @junco East Georgia zone 8a, I considered a few of those options as well, but if I did extend the base cabinets I could also expand the upper cabinets which would add additional storage.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Layout and function precede decor. It would be worth getting a fee-only kitchen designer to suggest maximum use of your space. Some things to think about to gain more space:

--Are those pantries flanking the fridge? Is there space between those doors/closet/pantries to recess your fridge? That would give you more space.

--If one or both of those doors leads to a closet, then open up one of them and design it as a vintage pantry to display dishes, serving pieces, etc.

Vintage Pantry · More Info

--Build a banquette at the window with a lidded bench where you can store big pots, small appliances you don't use daily. That could be a wonderful space:

Built in Kitchen Storage Benches - Williamsburg Renovation · More Info

--Do you know about pull-out Rev-a-Shelves from the big box stores? They're very easy to install in lower cabinets and can double the space.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Judging by the door detail and hardware, your house was a high quality build.

Keep as much as you can. Maybe the uppers will work in your new layout.

I think you will get some great suggestions if you do a floor plan in scale where 1 inch equals 1 foot. You can get graph paper to help, but you can do it on plane white paper, too. Measure the overall layout of the room, including windows, doors and closets. Indicate what rooms are adjacent. You might want to start a new thread to focus on that.

By the way, in the scheme of things, moving a gas line is not that big a deal. I did it in my tiny kitchen and transformed the layout.

If you have access to a good library system, see if you can locate books by Sarah Susanka. If not her books are discounted and very helpful. She is on Houzz, too.

Home By Design Showhouse · More Info

• tillabrown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That nook is exactly what I was thinking!

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

You should combine the threads that are about your kitchen :) You have multiple people on the other one giving advice with no pictures of your house.

• tillabrown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

How do you combine threads? I’m new to this app.

• tillabrown
    Original Author
    3 years ago

How do you combine threads? I’m new to this app.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Add a link to the other one...you will get better advice if all of your kitchen issues are being looked at the same time. Good luck!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

It would be great if you could incorporate all your appliances into the cabinetry instead of having the stone freestanding. Can understand your wanting to keep cabinets but they could be reconfigured a bit perhaps. Is there room to add an island for more countertop and storage space?