Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljmorgan

Can a gray and white kitchen work next to a warm toned living room

ljmorgan
3 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and I really like the contrast of gray quartz counters with white cabinets but am concerned that it would be too stark of a difference next to our warm, jewel toned living room. Is there such a thing as warm gray quartz? I really like the LG Viatera Quartet and White Pearl. I‘ve included a picture looking from the living room, the kitchen, the quartz I like. I definitely want white cabinets, stainless appliances and quartz counters. I don’t like veined or marble looking quartz or super busy patterns. I appreciate your input. Thamks

White pearl

Quartet

Comments (14)

• deetra
    3 years ago

Getting a decorator to help you with paint colors would be a good idea to blend your spaces. Paint has a lot of undertones and is very tricky to get it right. I am currently trying to go from warm Tuscan colors to cooler neutral colors in my house, starting with the kitchen. I am thinking of hiring this decorator for an online consultation based on this incredible transformation she posted. I have decided that I want to go with Taj Mahal quartzite because it has warm and cool colors in it. Hope this helps you too. https://carlaaston.com/designed/before-after-a-dark-gold-toned-home-gets-a-fresh-new-look

• Ac Lb
    3 years ago

If you show us pictures of your room, we can help you more. I like the counters you picked out... they do appear on the warmer side than others I’ve seen. I’m sure it’ll look fantastic. I like luck’s suggestion of painting your living room. That will give it a quick updated look. Right now whites and creams are popular.

• Max Dude
    3 years ago

No offense but I don’t like the style

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Both samples are nice and have a warm undertone and your best bet if concerned about living room flow would be to wait until kitchen is finished. Then consider how rooms can complement, both color and style wise - rug, cushions and accessories. Also suggest painting same color used in kitchen (cream or warm white?)

• Boxerpal
    3 years ago

@ljmorgan Can a gray and white kitchen work next to a warm toned living room?

Yes but it is tricky and you need to pick neutral colors carefully. I agree with others above think of the entire space and house. Sometimes meeting with a decorator can help to eliminate mistakes and help you find the right color plan for not just the white/gray kitchen but the adjoining rooms too. Would you consider changing the wall color in the living room? I like both your choices in counter material. I'd have to see the other elements before a final choice. Wall color, cabinet gray, ...

Notice this room below uses cool and warm tones while having a gray and white kitchen

Duluth house remodel · More Info

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Gray and white is already a dead fad. Warm woods and colors of sky and forest are what are in. Warm tones. Run with the colors in the rest of the house. No gray kitchen. You can use white, but only if you use it in the rest of the house, in a significant way. The kitchen doesn’t exist on an island.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I am personally getting tired of the gray-and-white trend/fad. I suggest you go with a color or colors which are your favorites. I had our kitchen redone after water damage (from a slow leak of a water filter at the sink) and I found a beautiful white, gray and green-veined granite to use with white cabinets and medium oak hardwood floors. The walls are now the green in the granite....just enough color to refresh the personality.

• ljmorgan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay so if I drop the idea of gray and white but I don’t want brown what suggestions does anyone have as to what colors I could use and still end up with a bright, crisp looking kitchen? Ideas are truly appreciated.

• isabellagracepan
    3 years ago

You could do an all white kitchen and bring in warm tones that coordinate with your living room with lighting, accessories, perhaps a wood island?

• Boxerpal
    3 years ago

@ljmorgan Are you dropping the idea of gray and white because you don't like it? I really believe that cool and warm tones can be mixed nicely. Do you want a crisp kitchen?
    You can do it. I don't think you need to pull in brown if that is a color you don't like.

You wrote.... " I really like the LG Viatera Quartet and White Pearl. I‘ve included a picture looking from the living room, the kitchen, the quartz I like. I definitely want white cabinets, stainless appliances and quartz counters. "

There are some great greige colors that are chameleons and change in lighting.

I love this blog.

Kylie M Interiors The best gray greige paints

Another great blog with ideas.

Ellen Kurtz : TRANSITIONING YOUR INTERIOR FROM BEIGE TO GRAY

Lastly, I guess I am one of the dated gray and white kitchen people out there. I did use brown in a room off my kitchen. And I like it. It might not be loved by some designers but the ones I know do. If you love gray and white don't let anyone stop you. Do what you love, life is short.

My kitchen a mix of dark browns, blues, white and gray.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    3 years ago

Below is a home we designed for a client. Notice the warm tone working with the cooler tones?

Cascade Mountain Home · More Info

Cascade Mountain Home · More Info

• TAG
    3 years ago

So over gray and white ...

• chachawoman
    3 years ago

White cabinets are not going away.