Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_payne17

Is this dwarf everbearing mulberry tree trying to make roots in air?

Andrew Payne
3 years ago

I have this Dwarf Everbearing Black Mulberry Tree Morus nigra that I bought as a 4 inch plant in 2015. I noticed these "nodules" on the branches. There was a huge one that formed years ago, but it didn't occur to me it might be possible to cut these off and grow a new tree from the nodules. I'd say there is probably

15 of these on the tree. I am in SW Florida and now has fruit basically year around, though has two main times it makes fruits. I bet 50,000 fruits are developing on the tree. Fruits are quite small, maybe 1/4 of regular mulberry tree. Compared to a regular full size mulberry tree this one is very interesting. I cut one of the twigs off and put in some soil. Next, I put the pot under a tree for shade during the day. Will see if this "nodule" roots easier than a cutting. I couldn't find information showing this is normal for mulberry trees to make these "bulbs" in the air. They also grow branches off this "nodule" and the older ones have lots of straight branches going straight up off it. If you want more pics, I will take some more of the older big one.