Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robsemon

any help to design the front of this 1917 house exterior? Thanks.

Deb S
3 years ago

Any ideas so welcomed.

Comments (10)

• Debra Michaud
    3 years ago

It's cute! I'm wondering if you have original pictures of the house. I'm imagining the red shingles and white gables being stripped to natural light stain, and a porch with more dramatic entry.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

SO SO CUTE!! lovely cozy home!! I agree. Simple!! Sample some natural toned colors. And maybe add a big front porch? Freshening up the paint will do wonders. This house has so much lovely detail. A new walkway. And lighting. Landscaping....

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I’d also remove that storm door. And maybe get a larger. Wood door? Dutch style?

• tangerinedoor
    3 years ago

What a gem! I agree that the right was a front porch and dump spot attached to the front door. If it faces south, you can sit in there even when it's cold.

What don't you like about it?

IMO live in it for a full year, so you can see the changes it goes through, how those blossomy trees fill in space, how shady it gets, etc.

Deb S thanked tangerinedoor
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I'd suggest painting the house all one color. It's such a small place (and cute!) that the two-tone treatment makes it look even smaller. I think I'd also put in a modified portico/overhang over the front door.

Deb S thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

It might have been a Kit Home... Possibly Sears Roebuck. But there were other companies that made them. It has some of the characteristics of one. Where are you located? Check with your historical society and look into your home’s history. This a lovely home. It’s restoration would be fun! Take your time with it. Don’t rush in to any changes. Explore authentic colors for the home from historic paint ranges. It has a Queen Anne/Craftsman feel to it. And those colors would be appropriate for yours. Good luck! And keep posting....

• Terry Monday
    3 years ago

I would change the color but what sticks out to me is the mix of double hung and casement windows that do not align. I would replace the casement windows with a single matching double hung on the front and side of the house and align the tops of the windows with the existing I would also consider adding a porch gable to the front

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Check local records and the trail of previous owners to unravel the home's history, perhaps you'll find photos that reveal its original look and architect. As said, live in it for a year to see how it now functions for you. Do your research, make your lists and come back here when you are better informed and have a feel for actually living in the house. Very cute; lots of potential!

• tangerinedoor
    3 years ago

Those leaded windows upstairs.... So pretty and rare.

The mix of windows downstairs in the front doesn't bother me at all. It's pretty obvious that the right hand was a glassed in porch used for sunning and vestibule. The casements may be the optimal choice there. And I wouldn't change any of the other windows.

But yes, look up the house in historical records.