Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerrydavis

I need some elegance for this room !!

kerrydavis
3 years ago

Not enjoying being I. This room... suggestions?

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

You need a great area rug to ground the bed, and get a great piece of art for above the headboard.

Or, you could put wallpaper on the headboard wall for some visual interest to break up all the wood.

Gold Coast - Delaware · More Info

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow!! That is beautiful.. thank you

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love the art work, can this be order online?

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess the white runner should be replaced too hey..

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Found the pictures..

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m going to look for a rug too

• Maureen
    3 years ago

I think you should incorporate softer colors to create the elegance you mentioned you wanted to achieve.

I’d remove the yellow throw, paint door white, adjust bedding a bit , and add a rug that pulls everything together. If drapes have a wide enough hem you could lengthen.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Valencia-Mauve-Cream-Distressed-Silky-Polyester-Runner-23-x-6-23-x-6-Runner/11727804/product.html?epik=dj0yJnU9LThLckFSVlgyRW9LZGRJbU1aNkVoSjNNY0ZhTWQ0aWImcD0wJm49b0NlZVFvejJjbmhQbWc1d3Y5Q0xadyZ0PUFBQUFBR0JFRUkw&option=15538047&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest

In time/when budget permits some other ideas: lighter frames/art and a larger bedside lamp.

Remove runner from dresser and reconsider accessories for both highboy and dresser.

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would it be wise to paint the bedroom furniture.. maybe light grey or white to give some contrast..
    I like the idea of painting the door white, and I don’t mind painting the walls..

Wish I had decorating skills☹️

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just to clarify the trees on the highboy

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe paint the bedroom set light tan color???

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Some guidelines to follow as you upgrade the room. I think it would look more glam with a bedspread that falls to the floor instead of a skimpy coverlet.

Soft & Feminine

sophisticated master bedroom · More Info

Tailored and masculine

Sophisticated in Roscoe Village · More Info

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The potted topiary don’t have to be real. I had noticed the 3-4 plants in your room and thought you might like the idea. I was in a hurry and picture below is a much nicer look.

• loobab
    3 years ago

Hi Kerry-

The reason your room doesn't read elegant to you is not because of the color palette or the picture frame colors, it is because the room as a whole is reading "grandma."

Not necessarily your granny, I don't know her.

But granny in general.

That's not what you want.

You want a feeling of luxurious abundance, with a variety of sensuous fabrics in different textures.

This is a bedroom, so whatever else you want to convey (and we don't know you) it should read the minute one sees it, the feeling of, "Whoa, This is a place I can just exhale and chillax."

Have you ever been to a heritage luxury hotel?

I say heritage, because it seems your style veers toward traditional.

Go online and look a the rooms in those hotel rooms and first of all think of the feelings those rooms evoke in you.

What is grandma about your room is:

The dresser scarf.

Little things. They give the appearance of a granny's fussiness and rigidity.

No small plants. (You have 4 in the room!) No small copper things on the dresser.

No matchy-matchy. That implies a lack of imagination and also implies rigidity.

So keep your eyes peeled for a marvelous antique mirror for over your dresser and then get rid of the mirror that is there now, or better yet, use it in your powder room. Or attach it to the top of your medicine chest and use it in your bathroom.

No one ever wants to see your box spring!

Now your matelasse coverlet is attractive, and you don't need to get rid of it.

So what you can do is get a bedskirt, and you have two options for the bedskirt.

It can either be the same color as the matelasse coverlet.

Or, you can live dangerously and have it in a fabric that reads like silk (but not really silk, you probably can't afford that) in colors of ochre and brown that are in the artwork that you have.

Then you need to buy two or three (depending on the width of your bed) Euro pillows that are 26" x 26" and have shams made for them in the same fabric .

Then get rid of those terribly boring, boring curtains.

And you can one of two things there-

You can either do a cream curtain with a trim along the edges and bottom with the colors of ochre and brown (not the same fabric, that is too repetitious), and using a double rod, also have a sheer.

Another choice which I prefer, is in addition to the sheer, is have a curtain that is mostly cream with a pattern with ochres and browns and a bit of a third color, maybe persimmon

Also, on the bed, under the matelasse coverlet get a nice fat down or down substitute conforter so your bed looks sky high.

Get rid of the blah brown pillow cases and blah brown whatever at the edge of the bed.

Get or make a chunky textured throw in white/off white or maybe wait until you get those other colors in the room and see if you want a throw in those colors.

For your dresser you can either a get a nice big flowering plant, or get a nice big simple glass vase for a few stems of flowers or leaves. Nothing fussy. Never faux anything.

The lamp on the left side of your bed is to short.

The top of it should reach to 58" to 64" high. Without having to sit on a pile of books.

You don't have to use lamps on the bedside tables. You can use wall sconces that are plug in, there are many that are quite nice.

You need something for over your bed, and it should be 2/4 to 3/4 the width. If you don't feel comfortable with something heavy, you can get some textile art.

What is in the glass case on the armoire?

The lady in the ochre dress near the bed may be hung too high.

Make sure you can see everything in the room and that you love it.

• Ursula9
    3 years ago

I’m unclear, is this a guest room or your bedroom? What don’t you like about it? Or maybe it just looks unfinished to you? There are a lot of good suggestions posted here. I would start with some of the easy changes that have a big impact before you decide to paint anything.

• There is a lot of wood with the furniture and the floors, and a nice rug would definitely break that up and add some warmth.
    • Changing out the mirror for something different, such as an antique looking mirror or a glam one (I find Home Goods is a good source), would add interest and reduce the “matchy” look of the furniture.
    • Remove the scarf/runner from the dresser, and use perhaps an interesting tray.
    • Adding reading sconces (even the plug in kind), frees up a lot of space on the little tables, and adds sophistication. That lamp looks a little small to be useful.
    • a couple of big euro shams, and an interesting decorative pillow, preferably with a pattern and color. All of your fabrics are solid, some pattern will definitely help.
    • maybe a small antique chair, painted (you have enough wood). I always like a chair in a bedroom.
      Good luck! I would love to see the outcome.
  • kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow!!! Thank you- granny has to go out the door, it is a guess room, people usually stay with us when they visit this area, after a long plane ride, I want them to feel like they are having a night at the Hilton.. I need some art suggestions, that picture was used as it was laying around and had some of the same color.. not attached to it..

I REALLY appreciate your honesty, I will see if I can find some ideas that reflect what you wrote..

If you have some pls share them.. again thank you

• kerrydavis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the pictures, they really help me

• K Ber
    3 years ago

Hey painting or lighting goes a long way

• PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Below are a few ideas that might just aid you in enjoying being in this room more. Perhaps try some nice (taller) lamps, a rug under the bed, artwork above the headboard, and thicker/fuller curtains.

The Luxe: Bedrooms · More Info

Sophisticated Master Suite: Bedroom · More Info