Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_moore58

Contractors Conflicting on need for basement vapor barrier - Help!

Dan M
3 years ago

I couldn’t find a post specifically for my issue. I don’t pretend to be a professional, that’s why I need contractors to bid a basement remodel for us. I’ve now had four, different bids and they have spread the gamut on the virtue of a vapor barrier, or the “kind” of vapor barrier we would need in our basement.

We live at the bottom of a drainage easement in Iowa, so the natural flow is towards our house and the culvert out back. I extended all the downspouts and run-off so it’s away from the foundation, as much as possible. Given the possibility of pretty wet soil and concrete, one of the contractors essentially said to embrace that fact and to allow more airflow for drying.

I can’t afford spray-foam and have read too many articles about how faced batt is good enough or isn’t and allows mold growth. I hate that I’m having trouble trusting licensed professionals - but this isn’t my trade and I don’t want to be one of “those people”. I want a pleasant basement that doesn’t smell and certainly doesn’t have rot in the walls. We’ll probably have to use some dehumidification if it’s a wet year but what’s a happy middle ground?

Thank you all in advance.

Comments (8)