Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kehkashan_zareena

Girl's room design help!(Long post alert!)

sweetadobe
3 years ago

Hello!

I am back to square one in creating a story board for my 6-year old's room. Initially (one month back when we hadn't moved into our new home yet) I was inclining to choosing pinks and grey paint colors. But now I feel I need to add some vibrant and fun colors in her room. My girl is all about rainbows, unicorns, hearts, umbrellas. She wants to have a canopy; she loves her doll house and her stuffies.

Right now, the room is a clean slate. I am attaching few pictures of her room in current state so this can give you can idea. My main pain points are – choosing the right paint colors for her room with the existing furniture (and may be existing bedding too), deciding a bedding that is easy to maintain, setting up the nook with fun colors that go well with pink and whites.

Looking forward to hearing from ya’ll experts! Thank you so much in advance!

This (as below) is what I have in mind and need some guidance and suggestions especially on the color coordination:

1. Paint colors: I want to keep ONE wall of her choice of color (she chose BM Camellia Pink 2093-50, although I am nervous that Camellia Pink will be a bit mature for her age or even a bit dull...) and the rest of the walls with a neutral color. Is BM-Playful Pink a better option, something that is not Pepto-Bismol pink but calming pink enough? What neutral color can I pair with either of these pinks for the remaining 3 walls)?

2. Accent wall design: I plan to keep make the wall right next to her bed as the accent wall and use rainbow + unicorn decals. I don’t want to spend on painting 7 seven different stripes on the accent wall for the rainbow look especially knowing that her taste may change next year... or so... One thing for sure is, she needs the rainbow right next to her bed…Lol!!

3. Bedding: For the bedding, we have ikea duvet sets (hearts and ballerina). She started using a weighted blanket past few months and will continue to use it. The duvet cover is light, and she prefers to have her duvet cover on top of her weighted blanket when she goes to bed. So, I don’t want to spend on comforter set or any bedding set for Twin size bed because I know I will be spending on another weighted blanket as she grows. So, what other options do I have to make her bed a bit more fun or theme based and easy for her to make her bed? I am staying away from putting too many pillows on her bed, because most of the time those extra pillows are on the floor...

4. Curtains/night stand: I LOVE these gingham pattern curtains which I bought during her toddler days but never got a chance to use it, as we were in the middle of shifting cities and then countries. I plan to use these curtains for now. I am planning to replace the brown nightstand with a small white nightstand and replace the night lamp as well. I will let her choose the night lamp.

5. Study table: I plan to put a cork board above the table where we/she can clip hang her artwork. She loves whenever her work is on the wall!!!

7. Fun/Relax nook: The area that is taped with orange color is where I want to set up a canopy with some cushions, pillows, a book shelf, shaggy rug. What colors can I chose to make this area fun. I feel there is already so much of whites and pinks going around in the room, I need to add some yellows, greens, dark blues, orange… how can I make this nook fun and vibrant? I want to keep this nook open for her to relax but at the same time functional too. I am thinking a 6 x 5 shaggy rug would be a good idea. Any suggestions on size and color of rug?

8. Vanity: The area that is taped with purple masking tape is where I plan to put a mirror and a small table for her to keep her jewelry box, her clips. I am not sure if I can find such a slim table and mirror. Any suggestions? Not planning to keep her dresser because her closet is quite spacious and has shelving and drawers.

Pic 1 - this is the view when you enter the room

Pic 2 - this the fun nook you see when you are on bed. The small red taped area is where I want to hang a canopy and orange taped area is the rug size I plan to use here.

Pic 3- view from the study table side

Pic 4 - this is where I plan to keep a vanity table and mirror. Hoping it will work otherwise this is dead space:-(

Sorry for such a LOOOOng post but I wanted to add as many details as I can to get the right help. Thank you again!!

Comments (50)

• User
    3 years ago

Have you tried looking for removable wallpaper with a rainbow or a decal?

sweetadobe thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

Instead of a cork board how about a magnet board? No chance then of push pins or tacks ending up on the floor to be stepped on with bare feet

• User
    3 years ago

Vanity corner

Kiera Heart Wall Mirror · More Info

Hope Floating Nightstand Drawer Bedside Table, White Birch, Right Shelf · More Info

Carolina Storage 1 Pc Ottoman, Purple, Chrome Nailhead/Ring, Velvet · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

Fun rainbow colored stuff

Kilim Kil2219 Rug, Beige/Orange/Yellow/Red/Blue/Green, 2'0"x3'0" · More Info

Weave & Wander Gilda Hand Woven Red / Orange Modern Area Rug · More Info

Guidecraft Hardwood Rainbow Sand and Wood Blocks in Multi-Color · More Info

Tranquil Spectrum Modern Art Mobile for Indoor · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

Mayan Sun Running Horse Wall Art · More Info

• User
    3 years ago

Rhody Rug Country Jewel Rug, Tawny Port, 2'X6' Oval · More Info

• sweetadobe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ital mover - the idea of having prisms is great!

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

For selecting between the colors, paint large samples of a few colors (you can paint a piece of foam core or poster board) and set them up; don't tell your daughter which one is which and get her opinions on the samples in various lightings. That lets the two of you see it in the space and will give you more confidence that you have the right color. For selecting companion colors, Benjamin Moore's website suggests colors that go well with each other. Camellia Pink suggests BM Butterfield 897 for a light, creamy combination.

Decals and removable wall paper are great ways to add fun accents while also being simple to change with her whims.

Bedding is going to be tied with wall color ... make sure to place your sample boards with the bedding, and make some sample boards from matches to colors in the bedding.

Magnetic bulletin board or ribbon bulletin boards can be great alternatives to having to use tacks to hold up pictures.

Greens and purples can work really nicely with pinks ... You might want to figure out the rug in conjunction with the bedding and wall color to make sure you don't end up with a disjointed room ... maybe pull the green and yellow from the hearts on the bedding and go from there?

• User
    3 years ago

different kinds of fun things in pink and green

Handmade Woolen Pebble Pouf, Green · More Info

Hand Hooked Rain Rug RAI-1134 - 5' x 8' · More Info

Romantic Soft Home,Office Flower Seat Cushion,Chair Pad,Floor Cushion · More Info

Washable Sofa Seat Pad Pillows Chair Cushion 23.62" #F · More Info

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Tallulah's Big Girl Room · More Info

• Kathleen Marineau
    3 years ago

My granddaughter is nearly 6 and also wants pink, purple, rainbows and unicorns. I have not found a large rainbow for her wall in either vinyl or wallpaper. We're still looking.

#1: wall color. Check out SW Gorgeous White SW 6049, it has a faint pink base but dries to a bright white. Then you can choose a contrast for the trim, such as a purple or muave or, my granddaughter's favorite, hot pink. If you want to avoid pink overload, you could paint the trim a teal or green. I've been surprised at how much it brightens a room to have a contrasting trim color, and it only takes a quart of paint.

#3: How about some ribbons, bows and artificial flowers along the top rails of her bed. Something that can be a background when she's playing with her unicorn stuffies or toys or that she can re-arrange when she's sent to her room for quiet time.

It could become a non-destructive way for her to act out her emotions. My granddaughter hangs spare blankets off her bed and chair to make a hidey hole when she gets into trouble; or moves stuffies, toys and decorations around. I'm not sure if it's reacting to the fact that she doesn't want it where I put it or that she is bored with the way her room looks. Either way, it gives her some control without damaging anything.

#8: I found a small bookcase to use as a vainty. It takes up little floor space and has been very flexible. Over the last 4 years it has held books for bedtime reading, small plastic bins for fidget toys or play makeup, barbies, the feather collection, and currently her rock collection. A mirror on the wall, hair brushes for her and her dolls on the top, complete the grouping. I painted the 2nd hand bookcase forest green and she liked it even while asking for pink walls and ceiling.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Choose a couple of removable wallpaper or murals (Etsy is loaded with these) and then give her final approval. Use that on one wall. Nearly every theme for kids’ rooms are peel and paste and strippable. Then just add all of @ital mover’s ideas. Let her make choices from a pre-edited group of two or three in each category. Her taste will change probably every 2 years!

• hollywaterfall
    3 years ago

How about a light sky blue as a neutral color for the walls? The bedding looks like it has a darker pink in it so I would use that as a rug color. I'm sure there are decals/removable wall stickers that come in rainbow/unicorn choices. It sounds like a great fun room to have. I also loved rainbows and unicorns and STILL DO! I had rainbow sheets on my bed and light pink walls.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Don’t get too involved making a Little Girl room....the difference between 6 and 10 years old is huge.
    Her interests will change every three months and before you know it she will merge into a Big Girl.
    Her bedding may last several years, but she may outgrow the little iron bed.

• Kathleen Marineau
    3 years ago

So, true. My daughter was in 3rd grade when she demanded a purplish bedroom. She chose a medium tone muave, she and I painted. Within a month she hated it and refuses to paint granddaughter's room any shade of pink or purple.

The bedroom granddaughter uses in our home has pale cream walls, white trim, and pink curtains which give the room a pale pink glow on sunny days. I'm thinking of painting her trim hot pink or muave to satisfy her craving for more pink to purple shades. Her bedspread is a pink, purple, purplish-blue quilt that I originally made for her mom.

She spent a lot of time with us in 2020 doing virtual school while her mom worked, so she has had a lot of decorating requests. We've rearranged furniture at least 4 times and I expect to do it again when school is out.

To sum it up, felizlady has it right, based on my experience.

• partim
    3 years ago

Keep the wall colour neutral and the same on all walls. Add colour with the items that she loves. A pink room doesn't need to have pink walls. Change it up as often as the two of you want.

• b
    3 years ago

Get some covers on those electrical outlets!

Then, paint everything a neutral colour and add colour with accessories. Too much trouble to change the wall and ceiling next year!

• Susan Briand
    3 years ago

Seems to me that you have a good idea of what you want and the elements to bring it together. Her likes at 6 probably won’t be the same as when she’s 8 or 9. Follow your heart and decorate with all the things you and she both love, and hopefully the room will grow with her and easily change out what works today but not tomorrow. Good luck!

PS......prisms hanging in window is an excellent idea. Mesmerizing!

• lois2037
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You write about what you're choosing and what you would like for the room. My suggestion would be this: involve your daughter in the design. She's 6, so she knows what she likes, and what colors and accessories she would like to see there. Maybe you're already doing this, in which case, YAY! If not, I hope you'll consider it. One of my best memories as a small child was getting to pick out some of the things that would go into my room, the color of my bedding, and helping to pick out the wall colors. All my ideas weren't used (alas! No giant stuffed dinosaurs), but I felt like a big kid, and my room felt like it was really mine because I helped put it together.

Also, a big yes! to prisms.

• bccchic13
    3 years ago

I think one, larger area rug would make the room look bigger and more cohesive.

• wallin1
    3 years ago

"She loves whenever her work is on the wall!!" So why stress yourself about what colors, what decals, etc? Make or purchase a massive rainbow of non-toxic chalk paints and let the 6-year old freely put her work on the walls. If she likes a certain shade of pink, why second guess her? Be a rare person and step out of the way. Encourage her to honor her own original ideas and not fear mistakes (it is only paint which can always be repaired). It is, after all, her room.

• dancethewildfandango
    3 years ago

I get the concern about committing to a paint color. We haven’t painted the walls yet in my young daughter’s room—I just got some bold coral curtains I softened with white lace. Here’s a “faux canopy” I designed from curtains I installed on a ceiling track. They extend the width of the room to hide the bookshelf and wire storage I installed above it.

• dancethewildfandango
    3 years ago

(That’s a Chinese parasol I tied to the finial on her overhead light fixture—it gives a lovely pink glow to the room!)

• Kathleen Marineau
    3 years ago

Wonderful creative decoration, dancethewildfandango.

I think I'll copy your idea.

• dancethewildfandango
    3 years ago

Ooh! @Kathleen Marineau, that’s the highest compliment ever! Thank you. Please share whatever you do! I’d love to see!

• dancethewildfandango
    3 years ago

While seeking to cover hooks on the wall from when she shared the room with a sibling, I popped this butterfly kite over her bed. A rainbow of her hair bows clipped to a shoelace comprises the kite’s tail, so she can remove and replace them daily as needed.

• Ann Bartz
    3 years ago

Unless she's in fragile health and you need to be able to open the door and check on her quickly, or unless she's decided to put her bed there, I would rethink placing her bed under the window, for several reasons. It makes for a very cold night in cooler weather, as cold air falls downward from the glass and pulls body warmth from the top of the head; it limits you from doing something spectacular like @decoenthusiaste did with the big rainbow serving as a backdrop for Tallulah's bed; and feng shui would have you put the bed at right angles to the room's doorway, for privacy and visual command of the room. I find that considering feng shui often opens up new design options I wouldn't have thought of before. And a desk in front of a window is a nice thing.

• Ann Bartz
    3 years ago

P.S. Love the Chinese parasol, the prisms, and every suggestion to involve your daughter and let her take the lead - though yeah, a big wall in Pepto pink that she's going to hate in three months would give me pause, too ...

• Aphaea
    3 years ago

You might surprise her with rainbow, unicorn and/or pink wall outlet plates. I did a quick google search and came up with these at Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/Wall-Plates-Pink-Accessories/s?keywords=Wall+Plates&rh=n%3A495326%2Cp_n_feature_twenty_browse-bin%3A3267893011&c=ts&ts_id=495326

• CGinNoCO
    3 years ago

You are way overthinking this. Paint the walls white and decorate with fabric, which is easily changed. If you paint the walls bright pink, she will hate it in a year and want something more soothing.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

I have to say, I hated having white walls when I was little. I picked a nice light purple at the paint store, but before we bought it, my dad convinced me that I wouldn't like it and should go the next tint lighter (top of the chip strip instead of the second color down). I didn't know any better and we bought the lighter one. My mum started painting, and I was practically in tears that evening because it was STILL WHITE! The next morning, my mum was back at the paint store having the rest of the gallon retinted to roughly my original choice. It stayed that color for 20 years. If she wants a pink wall, she should be able to have a pink wall ... it's only paint. Just let her know that you won't be repainting it for at least five years (or however soon you're willing to repaint).

My sister had blue with sponge-paint clouds for a long time (that was a fun project, we made many of the clouds look like things - dog, castle, pig, etc.). I feel like if we'd asked on here about that back then we would have been told it was way too work to be hated in a year. I think it was about four years before it got painted its final color of dark red.

Especially with just one accent wall, I'd say go for the color, and if she hates it in thrée months, she's stuck with it for a year before it can be repainted. (She can pick her new color at that three month point, and then have it if she still thinks the new color is a good choice after the year, but that'll be it for a while.)

• kloarie
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In the late 80's I was allowed to have my tastes (a LOT of pink and flowers, including the wallpaper and rug) in the decor of my room when my family remodeled when I was 8. I was fairly girly, fashion, but also sport-oriented girl (still am). I hated my room by the time I was 13. (Granted this was the early 90's when being too girly became very uncool.)

Think longer term - What are her and/or your family's interests or activities and where do you live? Some of the elements and colors in her room should reflect this. Beach or mountains? Does your family travel, ski, hike, or garden? There are a lot of kid-friendly art that reflects this. Does she do ballet, gymnastics, dance, play sports or other group activities? Maybe black and white (more mature) images of dancers or athletes. Do you have pets or does she love animals? Etsy has some amazing animal art. Does she love reading, school, or her friends in school or her sport/activities? Perhaps art featuring her favorite books, the themes of those books? Etsy has amazing art about books. Also you can print photos of her with her friends or with your family that she can have always.

Having an older girl looking room will also reinforce the idea that she is a big girl (6 is a big deal!!!). Give her some choices to give her agency, but make the things that she opts for are easy to change (art, bedding) as her tastes do (and they will - as will the grey everything trend). My sister and I both stripped off the wallpaper in our rooms in high school (finally) and repainted the rooms ourselves - it was a big bit of work. I also had to beg my parents for a new (not pink) rug.

My house now reflects my love of travel and my family, and is (in my opinion) pretty classy looking but still very welcoming and comfortable.

• Ann Bartz
    3 years ago

@kloarie It's the daughter's own art that is going on the walls.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

My 6 yr old granddaughter is the 1st time notice decor changes in my house and have an opinion on them. When my daughter and her started planning her bday party last year she wanted it to be mermaids like how she wanted her room. She helped with everything and now has some super special things for her room that were not super expensive and we all did together. These mermaids we made using an outline of her as an example. She was involved in every part of it and loved it! She changes her mind often and keeping that in mind has always been our goal. The make a beautiful mural like effect in her room now.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

I said all that and forgot to say I love that you are using her art for the walls!

• rattlewrangler
    3 years ago

Couple of ideas, I'm no expert as I had two boys. But, I saw a picture a while back of those tiny lights strung in rows against a white wall and the child's art hung with little clothes pins on them. It gave the effect of a personal gallery wall that can change all the time. Secondly, I hung one of those inexpensive over the bed mosquito netting canopies in the corner of my kids room. They loved sitting inside it to play house or space or whatever and it can even be pulled out by the corners farther into the room to create a fantasy type effect. It was very inexpensive and when they tired of it after a year or so, it was easy to just take down and toss. I like the idea of the lime green and pink. Happy colors together. Etsy has many removal wall decals. You'll find her rainbows there and she can be part of design team! Most importantly, have fun with her. This is her secret space and it doesn't have to please anyone else. Good luck.

• Kathleen Marineau
    3 years ago

The comment by BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/MA, is excellent. You expressed the strong memory from your childhood clearly enough that I can sense the emotions. I remember the sponge cloud phase. I used flourescent star and moon stickers on my son's ceiling in the early 1970s, and painted a mountain mural of sorts on one wall.

I actually picked up some pink and light purple color swatchs at the local hardware store this week. Since one wall needs a repaint (crayon, marker, holes, pencil, pen) I plan to let her choose. Then I will try the curtain that dancethewildfandango posted a photo of. The door also needs painting, so I may do it in pink also, since it is adjacent to the wall that needs repainting.

The array of positive comments is giving me confidence to embrace decorations that are short term (a few years) and neither resale neutral nor sophisticated.

• dancethewildfandango
    3 years ago

@Kathleen Marineau: If it helps, you can find the curtains, tracks, ceiling mounts & alligator clips at IKEA. (80% of everything you see is from there.) I went to Home Depot to get special screws with plastic anchors to have the most secure grip in the ceiling. Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

• Kathleen Marineau
    3 years ago

Thanks, dancethewildfandango. I may need a curved track such as one used around a free standing tub. The small bedroom has one window on the same wall that is the only place the bed fits.

This is an old pic, before I made pink flowered curtains and changed the rod to a white one.. I've since hung swag lamps replacing the floor lamp and another one in the corner to the right of the door. This is also before she became enamored with pink. Now that she's taller (almost 6yr old) the mirror is wall mounted.

• ravensmom13
    3 years ago

First of all...this is MY OPINION ONLY....does your daughter enjoy having a friend over to spend time in her room ?? Would she like to have someone sleep overnight with her at times?? THIS is what I would do....get rid of the bed and replace it with a TRUNDLE BED....each end has "arms" that make it look like a sofa, but there's another mattress UNDER the bed that pulls out and pops up for extra person to sleep over when needed............put the trundle bed under the windows....this placement provides the wall to put pillows across to make it look like a sofa during the day ( and gives a great spot for reading ) PLUS it "frees up" a TON of floor space for playing during the day......I would paint ONLY the window wall as your "accent wall"....and the other 3 walls a creamy neutral....this allows for ANY color to be used in other areas of the room without clashing with the pink, AND if her tastes start to change, you only have one small area to repaint and change out curtains....curtain rods come in ones that are "rounded" and extend out quite a ways from the windows...use these with super-long filmy curtains to provide the "canopy" she requests over the bed.....and vanities come in "corner styles", with attached mirrors, so measure carefully and I'm sure you'll be able to find one that she likes for that corner.....by placing the bed under the windows, you should have PLENTY of room for a desk for her to work at on either side of the room........good luck with it all...such a fun project to work together on !!!!

• Littlewalty
    3 years ago

My Granddaughter quickly outgrew the Pink Room. I added a sofa sleeper, painted her white dresser grey added some inspirational posters!

• Kathleen Marineau
    3 years ago

Littlewalty, what was your granddaughter's age when you changed to a sleeper sofa?

• Littlewalty
    3 years ago

@Katheen she was 9 when I added the sleeper as she got older I added more teen stuff today she is 13

• dancethewildfandango
    3 years ago

@Littlewalty delightful!

• kristeneff
    2 years ago

I also have a 6 yr old. Kids love nooks! We got a canopy from Target that we put around the head of her bed and it makes her feel safe at night. $40 Pillowfort brand and breathable thin gauzy fabric. We did a soft neutral color for walls and hung a huge colorful tapestry on one for an accent wall effect that is easily updated. Her nightlight glows a soothing pink. I'd suggest dimmers on lights in the room if they aren't there already to set the vibe. Twinkle lights also go a long way for a soothing playful glow.

• Shoemaker
    2 years ago

(This is for ALL parents): Do you like sitting and hanging out on the floor of your restroom? No, of course not - absurdity. Then why do so many of you have wood floor in your children’s bedroom? How uncomfortable for them - have carpet installed for their childhood. Its not about how things look to mom - it’s about their comfort.

• Kathleen Marineau
    2 years ago

Our problem with carpet is that toy soldiers, legos and toy horses will not stand up on carpet and trying to roll a toy car or truck across carpet is disheartening.

For my children and grandchildren the solution was vinyl flooring (easy to scrub paint off of) and a generous rug by the bed.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Can you post a photo of her room?

• Kathleen Marineau
    2 years ago

Sorry, it is a "was". We've moved cross country since then. Not sure I even have print photos of those homes.