Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabriel_pendleton

Need help with layout in awkward space

Gabriel
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hey all,

I've been living in a loft style apartment for about a year and change the living room about 4 times. I can't seem to get the layout down. So, I'm giving up and reaching out for help as im not good as design obviously lol.

I've attached my floor plan and a few pictures. The main issue I have is the placement of the TV and both the couch and love seat. The second bedroom breaks up the space. Also, the dinning room table, which i'm currently using as a computer desk and breaking that up with the living room. Please help lol.

Currently the TV is now where the couch is in the first photo. Should I mount TV and get one that swivels for the space, hoard for me to figure out the best angle for the TV.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    RoominessTV
    3 years ago

Hi Gabriel,

Wow, that is a dilemma! I'm not surprised you've rearranged several times.

You have some nice pieces to work with. I think you can tweak what you have to create a little better flow in the space.

Starting with the last photo of the sofa, I would shift the end table to the right (the one without the lamp) over by the chair and ottoman. That will give a little more circulation room around the end of the sofa.

I would turn the dining table/desk so the short end is against the wall. Then you could face the view while at the computer. You could shift the dining table/desk over behind the sofa to use as a sofa table as well. You could put your lamp on the desk to shine on both the desk and the sofa. (You might need to run an extension cord to get power where you need it.)

Personally, I would leave the TV on the chest of drawers rather than mount it on the wall. I would be tempted to get a shorter piece for the TV and move the chest of drawers into the dining area or along the back wall by the kitchen/entry area.

I would be on the lookout for a few additional pieces to help pull things together:

• A rug with a graphic pattern that you like - something in lighter colors to contrast with your furniture and floors. Since your furniture doesn't have any pattern, you could do something really bold on the floor. It should center in conversation area and reach under the sofa and the chair. (A second matching or coordinating one in the dining area would be great as well.)
    • A coffee table to put in front of the sofa. Maybe in glass to not block out the rug.
    • If the dining table is shifted behind the sofa, you'll have even more space by the kitchen. You might consider a bar height table that you could use with your barstools either away from the counter or in conjunction with it.

Good for you to reach out! I hope some of this helped. If you can, I would recommend making a scale drawing of your room and paper cut-outs for your furniture to try out different arrangements before you move things around. It can save a lot of work!

Best of luck!

Doug

• Gabriel
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hey Doug,

I made a quick 3D model and moved things around. This is what it would look like today before moving anything. Then I move a few things based on your suggestion.

Before:

After:

Additional Layouts I've tried

• PRO
    RoominessTV
    3 years ago

Hey Gabriel,

Great job with the modeling! Personally, I think the TV where you have it (first two images) is the way to go. It looks like things get a little crowded with both an ottoman and a coffee table - especially with the path to the bedroom. You might look at a half-size coffee table or swapping out the ottoman for one that could hold a tray to double as a coffee table.

How do you feel about the different arrangements?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths