Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex_harris1245765

How can I add curb appeal to the exterior of this house?

Alex Harris
3 years ago

This house is fully updated on the inside but has zero curb appeal on the outside. Looking for ideas, siding is cedar, in great shape-- paint colors?

Ditch the shutters?

Comments (6)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I wouldn't say it is without any curb appeal. It is attractive with a kind of rustic vibe.

I would not ditch the shutters. They are completely appropriate to this house. If you removed them, you would be left with even larger expanses of blank wall, out of balance with the window sizes. Although the shutters on the two short upper story windows could be a bit wider, some will repeat the dogma that they should be sized to look able to actually cover the windows when closed and should be removed if they don't. That is clearly impossible here and would also give an unbalanced feel. IMO of course.

I might give the front and storm door a color that works with the siding and roof (pumpkin, maybe, or a warm strong blue or green). I can't really see the porch/front door light, but the ones by the garage door are rather undersized. So the front door one might be also.

What is really needed is better landscaping. The rows of small/narrow shrubs don't add much appeal, and still won't once they've grown. I would consult with a garden center (if they have a designer on staff, many do) to come up with a more varied and naturalistic planting scheme.

Alex Harris thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Such cute. Nice character and detail here. Personally I’d want to see white. Do you like that? Maybe wood brown doors, shutters... black would also look great. Black trim. Beef up the porch posts. Landscape and hardscape. Beauty home!!

• pds290
    3 years ago

I agree with ^^^ that your house is definitely not without curb appeal, and that changing the landscaping would be my first priority. That said, I also played around with the colors of your house. I tried out a darker brown and a creamy (less green) trim color. I like the way the darker brown works with your roof color, and the creamy trim highlights your porch and windows.

• Alex Harris
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you to the above commenters. We actually have added some landscaping since these photos were taken but not much. I'll post an updated photo. The problem is in the front of the house where the two windows are with the potted plants in front- the septic tank is underneath that, so I've been told we are limited in what we can plant there.

As far as the creamy trim / darker brown color suggestions, I think its beautiful but we are trying to be able to resell this house and therefore appeal to more potential buyers with a lighter house color. So I was thinking of "Accessible beige" by Sherwin Williams with a white-creamy trim and keeping the brown gutters.

Another idea would be to do a light grey such as "Colonnade gray" by Sherwin Williams with a white trim, white garage door.

Definitely want a pop of color front door as mentioned above, just need to figure out what color to paint the house.

Thanks to all and let me know if you have any feedback on house paint color. I will consult with the gardening center nearby to see what I can do.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

You can go to any of the major paint manufacturer websites and find the visualizer tool that it has - upload your good photo of the house and then you can try out any of the brand's colors on siding and trim to see which strike your fancy.

Having the right color scheme can definitely transform a house, although I don't really know that you need to do that with this house.

My small 2 story colonial revival was white with black shutters. Fine but anonymous in the neighborhood, boring actually. I spent a couple of months looking at paint combinations (that long because I was indecisive.) After I painted it a color called "High Tea" (a soft gray/green) with 'Bleached Wheat" (pale cream) trim, very dark green shutters and dark red door. I also pulled out the hedge like evergreen bushes that lined the front of the house, got a garden center consultation, built a nice curved raised bed across the front, and planted a mix of boxwood and perennials.

I started getting so many compliments from the neighbors walking by that I was stunned.