Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Companion to Easter lily and Asiatic lily in a container

I have a ton of Easter lilies and Asiatic lilies, so I was thinking about putting them together in small containers to give away as gifts. I figure that one Easter lily bulb and one Asiatic lily bulb in each would last them for years without any real work, and they would have constant color from March until October or November.

Can you suggest a third, smaller perennial or evergreen to fill in and cover the dirt, would do well under the flowers, and would hopefully look OK outside through the winter?

I thought about asparagus fern, but it doesn't usually survive the winter here :-(

I'm in zone 7A. Winters usually have a few short snow storms or ice storms, but it rarely gets below 20 degrees F. The low average in January is 33.

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I think you may be overestimating the flowering period for these bulbs. Easter lilies do not normally bloom at Easter - they are forced into bloom then by specialty growers specifically for that holiday. Their normal bloom time is late June or July. Same with the Asiatics.......June and July, rarely as late as August.

And no container planting "lasts for years without any real work" :-) Annual repotting with fresh media, fertilizing, attention to watering, dividing if the bulbs do well enough to multiply, etc.

The gifting of your excess bulbs is a great idea but I would not get carried away with doing up some fancy mixed container :-)

• Jason, zone 7A, near Greensboro NC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I replied about 2 hours ago, but it's not showing up :-( I've had that happen before when posting a photo, so sorry if this posts twice!

But in my area, my Easter lilies bloomed about 2 weeks ago! I've had them bloom in February before... one time it snowed on them!! LOL But March is the normal time here. My Asiatics are just now poking out of the ground, but probably won't bloom for a few months yet. I wouldn't be opposed to sticking something else in there for the in-between time; I have tons of irises, but the fan really isn't beautiful for a pot. I also have a lot of callas, but they're really too big.

I bought my Asiatics 5 or 6 years ago and have kept them in a container, while the Easter lilies have all been in the ground. I literally never touch them, until last year when I split them up. Now I easily have over 100 Asiatic bulbs!! I spread out the Easter lilies and gave a bunch away, so now I have maybe 20 that I can still give away. Those are the ones I'm thinking about putting in a pot for gifts.

But anyway, I really don't want to go TOO crazy, this is just some random gifts to give out. I would just like to come up with 1 or 2 more plants to fill it in...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Where are you located that Easter lilies bloom in March?? That is NOT typical!! These are a summer blooming lily (Lilium longiflorum) and their standard bloom time is June and July and maybe as late as August. Blooming in March is not the normal time anywhere! They only bloom at Easter if forced to by the specialty growers.

I've grown many Easter lilies over the years, both from dormant purchased bulbs and from recycled living plants received as gifts. One planted in the garden, they will bloom at their normal time of midsummer, even in my very mild climate.

Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm going to see if this pic goes through, I took it on March 15...

Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm in western North Carolina, near Winston Salem. Right on the line between zones 7A and 7B

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Those are daffodils (Narcissus), not Easter lilies! 😉

Original Author
    3 years ago

In retrospect, it might be a local colloquialism to CALL it an Easter lily, when it might not be. It could be a white daffodil...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

This is what an Easter lily looks like:

Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah, I googled it right before my last post. My petals are more straight than trumpeted, and my pistil is a little different. So they're similar, but I'm pretty sure mine's actually a daffodil :-/

Original Author
    3 years ago

So anyway... now I'm matching an Asiatic lily and a white daffodil :-)

I briefly considered adding mondo grass to the pot because it will stay green forever, and kinda matches the leaves of the flowers. But it's not a gorgeous plant or anything.

Maybe something like a spiky dracaena? But they might be too big, and don't do well outside during our winters. So not exactly that, but do you know of something similar that might work?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Jason, you can be more than ‘pretty sure’ your flowers are Narcissi (daffodil is just a common name usually applied to the Narcissi with longer trumpets.) There is absolutely no question.