Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinwy

Kitchen design challenge: how to open up a wall behind a gas range

Weng Chin
3 years ago

I am in the early stages of planning a full kitchen remodel in a NYC condo, and would dearly love to open up the wall between the kitchen and dining room, and ideally build an island between the rooms. The gas pipes for the entire line of apartments run through that wall and cannot be moved, hence I cannot move the gas range to the opposite wall. Any suggestions for how to best to open up that wall? I have seen people create pillars around the pipes, but I would still need a splash back as the vent is non-ducted. Would it look weird to just retain that section of wall where the range, splash back and ventilation hood would be located? (FYI: nobody in the entire apartment block has taken down that wall, so there is no precedent).

Comments (12)

• Sara S
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You could at minimum do this:

Weng Chin thanked Sara S
  • herbflavor
    3 years ago

I'd actually close up the kitchen....close off the dining room and use it as a home office/spare guest room/bonus space in general....fabulous resale w all the changes in work/living.... The corner of living room near the foyer is where I'd place a pedestal table...remove the door to the kitchen. If you use both 16 foot walls in kitchen ....a section can have open counter w a couple stools.

Weng Chin thanked herbflavor
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Step one (or maybe step five) would be exploratory demolition- remove the drywall from the back side of that wall to see what is actually in there- construction plans are often treated liberally in the field.

Weng Chin thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Fori
    3 years ago

Ductless vent? Range open to next room? Have you looked at if you can dump gas cooking and switch to induction? It's cleaner, greener, safer, and in many ways cooks better.

Weng Chin thanked Fori
  • Weng Chin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm now seriously considering this as it means that I can place the cooktop on the other wall. We do mainly Chinese cooking, so I will need to overcome my personal bias towards wok cooking on an induction stove, but I do like how it would be better for the environment.

• Fori
    3 years ago

Wokking is a tough one. There are some countertop induction units that are shaped for woks--you could always put one of those on top of the builtin cooktop when needed...

Weng Chin thanked Fori
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

WOK??? Make what you have work for WOK. Get a more open feel, more light. More storage. Green is counter top/island space, Black of course is solid wall. Add a shallow pantry at entry. Nobody wants to sit so near the foyer, no upper cabs on dining side of kitchen.

FLOOD IT WITH Light!!!! AND STORAGE, lots of prep space.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

dont need a large extra pantry in a NYC condo: food for wok cooking is brought in almost daily and within a few blocks is purchased, . most likely, also on foot. Retain as much of the two 16 foot lengths of counter in galley style for good prep and then space left for coffee/ toaster/ other things that may apply to the lifestyle.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Fine! Use the pantry for something else! Make a BAR. Good grief. It's just wasted space. A wok style cook needs a FULL BACKSPLASH. Moving a ton of plumbing is expensive. The gas will be a non negotiable with the board ISSUE.

• Weng Chin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love the pantry/bar idea- I order many non-perishables in bulk and finding the space to store it is a challenge.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

living room space left intact I wouldn't call wasted. The wasted space is probably going to be behind the counter seating. Doubling up seating w a table wont work/ as 7.5-8 feet will remain. What is the proposal for THIS SPACE...nothing is shown...very poor concept w future resale take into consideration.