Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_923734114

Best climbing rose to train horizontally on a chain link fence z7a/6b

Laura Hoglin
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello! What rose would you suggest for me? I'd like to grow a climbing rose to cover a chain link fence. Available water is an issue, so I'd like to stretch out a climber rather than plant 3 or 5 separate plants. It's about a 15+ foot span, 5 ft high. Also, Ideally, shade tolerant, and zone 6b or hardier. If the perfect rose is 7, I might consider it :) Repeat bloom is a must, fungal problems are not an issue here.

Comments (22)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

How much shade?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

What about Lady of the Lake?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

New Dawn. So much better and easier on a fence than a wall. The thorns will self-support on the links. It does need dead-heading for good rebloom.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

With rebloom being a must we need to know how much shade are we talking about here. If you get less than 5 hours of sun great rebloom may not even be possible at all. I am growing some great roses with 4 hours of sun and they behave almost like once bloomers in my zone 7b.

• Laura Hoglin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Part of the fence gets a full 6 hours+, but a little under half of it is shaded by pines right now. In summer, it will get 4 or 5hrs. I am at 6100 feet, so the UV is about 25% stronger than sea level (southern California). A friend of mine says plants up here can do with less sun, but I think it would create more of an issue of burning leaves. IDK if the intensity will have enough of an effect to make the rose happy with fewer hours...

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    3 years ago

Try Renae. Fragrant, healthy, thornless, shade tolerant repeat rose.

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Yes intensity does matter. There are many wonderful roses that would probably work and you color preference would play a huge part.

Raspberry cream Twirl: I grow it with morning sun only. Great rebloom, large lightly fragrant blooms and almost thornless. The rose on my arch. The arch is 11 feet tall and 7 feet wide.

I am also growing Bathsheba by David Austin and it seems to be amazing (new to me last season). I am growing it in full sun but many austins can do well in partial shade. This one repeated all season even as a first year plant in my garden.

Climbing iceberg rose grows and blooms in my garden with 3 to 4 hours of sunlight. She mainly blooms once in the spring and scattered blooms after that. In your stronger sunlight she could perform better.

Crown Princess Magareta is a mess here with blackspot but does well in partial shade if you do not have fungal diseases.

Wollerton old hall seems to be doing well here in partial shade also. Some shade helps to keep the delicate blooms looking fresh longer.

If you have a specific color in mind please let us know so the recommendations can be closer to what you want.

Hopefully someone from your area will chime in. Advise from those growing roses in your area will be the way to go in this case. Whatever does well here may be terrible on your garden.

• Laura Hoglin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gorgeous, dianela7bnorthal!!! My only color preference is no red since I'm putting in a red rose garden on the side of my house. Oh! And I have Cl. Etoile de Hollande around my door:

• dianela7analabama
    3 years ago

Any of the Austin climbers would probably work for you if you like that style. Their biggest weakness is their lack of resistance to blackspot which you don’t have.

MAC would probably do wonderful there but it might get too large for your spot.

Look at this picture of sombreuil trained on a low fence at the antique rose emporium. This rose works for partial shade. The only downside I think is the wicked thorns.

https://antiqueroseemporium.com/products/sombreuil-climbing

many of the Tea roses would be great and beautiful also but I am a bit too cold here for them so I don’t have any experience. The antique rose forum would be the place to ask.

Korde’s has many great climbers but in my experience they all require full sun to rebloom well here. Otherwise Quicksilver would have made a gorgeous choice. If you love it you could test it out and report back 😊

3 years ago

Yes to all of the above! Felicia is also lovely. I may have to add Danae to my Long Ago Roses order.😉 I lost my cutting of it last year. Is it fragrant?

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

In addition to good light exposure, good soil and a good supply of water your climbing rose will need to be inaccessible to deer. And you will need to choose a rose that will not be killed back periodically by your 6100 ft. altitude winters if you are going to be able to maintain the desired furnishing of the fence. Because a lot of them really aren't all that hardy - when it got down below 10 degrees F. during 1990 in my part of USDA 8 there was a general freezing down to near the ground of modern roses and other apparently susceptible types such as tree climbing musk roses.

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

Here's the shade above my Blossomtime, before I had a tree cut down. Pretty shady for good repeat bloom, but no doubt the plant would do better with more sun.

You might look in to the Canadian Explorer roses for extra hardy ones. Rosecanadian could probably recommend some. For zone 6b most of those I mentioned should be ok, but unusually cold winters can do some damage anywhere. In my zone , zone 7a, we've had temps down to four degrees and prolonged freezes and most of my roses came through pretty well. I don't usually get big die back on my climbers. I'm in NC piedmont.

I tend to guess that your intense sun will help make up for some shade too.

3 years ago

You might want to check out Quadra. I'd love to hear about your Cl. Etoile d'Hollande, btw.

Blossomtime, New Dawn, Parade, Florentina, Viking Queen, Ballerina and Awakening have all survived almost tip hardy to -7F. I have found the Hybrid Musk Belinda and Bubble Bath quite hardy also and they are in a slightly colder area of my yard. Peggy Martin is rock solid, as well. Also take a look at Victorian Memory and Felix LeClerc. Mine are young and haven't experience a normal Z6 winter, but they flew through this past one totally unscathed.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

I ordered New Dawn and Iceberg to grow across the barn. It has a giant shady Live Oak over part of it. I hope it works out because I bet it will be a thorny monsterous mess if I have to move them lol.

Hmmm, I guess I could just let the goats eat them instead of moving them haha!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    3 years ago

I second the choice of Renae. It was bred in the heat zone of Calif and can take sun and temps like no one's business. Totally thorn-less and fragrant! Constantly in bloom. Disease resistant. Can't be beat!

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Hi friends!!

Wow, Erasmus, your blossom time is mouthwatering. Where did you get yours from?

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

I'm pretty sure I got it at Home Depot. It was a boxed plant. Body box rather than body bag.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Thank you, Erasmus! I’m trying to track it down. That rose is gorgeous!!! Is she healthy for you?

3 years ago

ARE carr it.

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

It gets some blackspot even with spraying but like I said, mine's still in some shade. I've found that a number of plants have less bs if planted in more sun, especially morning sun as the leaves dry faster. Mine has pretty good vigor for being in some shade. I have an own root one planted in a large pot near my picket fence also. It seems pretty vigorous also.

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    3 years ago

Thank you, Erasmus! How big do they get?