Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachbaby60

Kitchen Remodel - Help with Fridge placement

BeachBaby60
3 years ago

Good morning! We are planning a major remodel which includes the kitchen. It will still use the same real estate, however, so I'm limited by that. Currently a U-shape with a peninsula on one leg and small island with downdraft cooktop in the middle. I want to move that off of the island for better ventilation. I really like the layout below as it seems highly functional. However, instead of a wall to the right of the fridge there is a large opening to my Sunroom. I sit at my dinette table most mornings and now I'm working from home there. I do not think I want to stare at the side of a refrigerator all day even it were counter depth or built-in. It would block my view of my orchid window above my sink and would also be visible from the front door. My KD thinks this is not a big deal, but due to COVID she has not actually been inside my home to see it for herself.

I know that a range instead of separate cooktop and wall oven would make this easier, but I am not in favor of giving up the wall ovens. I could borrow 30" of real estate to the right of the wall oven cabinet block. That is behind the laundry room door. It's kind of dead space right now and I would consider giving it up, although that room is being rethought as well.

Other items of note -

1) that is a major walkway to the left/above the island to bathroom, laundry/mud & garage - 40"wide

2) opening to the left of the pantry goes to formal entry & opening to the right is formal dining room

3) I am usually the only cook & do like my current smaller work triangle - 39"x70"x72"

4) Pantry is 54" wide with addition space being taken up by a chimney

5) I do have second alternative by KD I could post - keeps U shape with peninsula - It's her 1st choice

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I will be heading to our cabin later this afternoon sans internet, so I will answer any posts after departure when we return on Sunday. Thank you!

Comments (16)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I'm not a pro, but I agree with Patricia--40" is too narrow for a walkway behind seating. Without measurements we can't tell the other aisle widths or the depth of the seating overhang. For comfort at counter height, the overhang should be at least 15", which, with front overhang and back cover panel, means the total depth of the island would be at least 40.5".

BeachBaby60 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • BeachBaby60
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here you go! Existing kitchen is 1st followed by new layout. Please disregard any cabinet types. This is just the first stab at it. I need to figure out appliance placement before I get to any cabinet sizes and styles. The hallway I measured between walls is 40". I see KD has 44" behind island counter edge and pantry wall.

Real estate is what it is. We are NOT moving exterior walls; DH is very firm on that. HA! Here's a CAD of existing kitchen. I've used existing for 30 years and it works for me. This whole thing started with me simply wanting better ventilation.

• BeachBaby60
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I sort of picture it looking something like this. No one ever sits at the peninsula counter now that the kids are grown, unless it's the holidays for cooking baking etc. I think backless stools might work better since my aisle is more narrow.

Lincoln Project · More Info

• hu818472722
    3 years ago

I like the way the KD has placed your fridge on a wall that doesn't interfere with your walkway so that is something to keep in mind. You could consider a paneled refrigerator if you don't like the sightlines. I would skip the overhang on the counter as placing stools in the walkway is not practical. We had a custom steel base made by Room and Board to raise it off the floor and put drawer storage in the island which gives it a furniture type feel and leaving the floor space visible below helps the room feel bigger. Similar to this photo.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Your inspiration pic looks as if the kitchen is deeper--the hood alone looks like 4'. IMO, 44" behind the island is fine, since you have no appliances on that wall (but I tend to accept narrow aisles, as mine are not optimal widths). However, the seating overhang appears to be ap 8" deep, unless I'm misinterpreting the plan. Do you need the support wall behind the island cabs for plumbing or electrical? Seating overhang and aisle width recommendations in the following links:

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

• BeachBaby60
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, Inspiration pic is deeper, but I won't be doing 48" rangetop; 36" at the most. Island would be 24" with 12" overhang. I'm afraid it might look too skinny, but I think corbels as in the Inspiration pic might make it look beefier. Or even close it in on the exposed end making it look 36" deep. I have thought about nixing the seating, but I do picture grandkids sitting on stools at some point :)

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

I’d shorten the island on each side for better circulation and more space by fridge and cooktop.

• acm
    3 years ago

I think the design you posted is good -- moving the fridge makes it an obstacle in the walkway, even when it's not being opened and closed! Maybe you can have lunch at the island to enjoy the window view...

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I think 12" overhang (probably less, depending on back cover panel thickness) is too shallow, but some folks here say they have 12", or less, and it works. If island seating will just be for grandkids, it will probably be OK until they turn into lanky teens, but I'd suggest a seat on the end, with a deeper overhang, in case you want to sit at the island with the kids:

BeachBaby60 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • BeachBaby60
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good idea, Mama Goose!

• BeachBaby60
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No one likes the Fridge placement in Inspiration pic???

• Emily
    3 years ago

I like the fridge placement in inspiration pic. I have my fridge placement like that and while the doors do swing into the aisle it doesn't bother me. It's not that often that it blocks traffic. I also have a 12" overhang on island with backless stools and it works great. You should have plenty of space to move behind them.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Because of the angle we can't tell if island overlaps fridge to become a barrier. If the island is not a barrier between the fridge and sink/prep space, I think fridge placement is fine. I didn't click on the 'more info' link, but I suppose amount of traffic coming the entry might be a deciding factor.

• acm
    3 years ago

the inspiration pic has the fridge where you want your wall ovens. there's only so much wall...

• Andrea C
    3 years ago

Since no one sits at the peninsula now, if you proceed with the plan with an island, I don’t think you need quite so many seats. How about having three seats at the end, social style, similar to the picture @hu818472722 posted? That would make it slightly easier for traffic to pass if you concentrated the seated people near the end. I am in agreement with the people to make it slightly shorter to give more aisle room.