Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pratheepan_baskaran

Exterior door color

Tpan Baskaran
3 years ago

Hi all,

I'm planning on changing my exterior door to something different as i'm not a fan of the design and the door itself. I'm debating between colors and was leaning towards a color that stands out from the rest of the house. I might even change the garage doors. I have attached some pictures of some colors I seem to like, but can't decide on one. So any suggestions or recommendations will be highly appreciated.

The last picture is of my house.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• Jennifer Havin
    3 years ago

Poppleton Park, Birmingham, MI Exterior Makeover · More Info

green is gorgeous with your brick

Tpan Baskaran thanked Jennifer Havin
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

I like all the colors you've picked for the front door, especially the first one. Paint the entire door and the trim around the window the same color. I like your garage door and the current color is perfect. Again paint the trim around the windows the same color.

Tpan Baskaran thanked houssaon
  • fredwgarfield
    3 years ago

I would choose a dark olive green shade for anything that is not bric. Move the trash bin from street view. The scale of plants and foliage is way TOO small.... a couple of large pots to hold some taller foliage would be good... get rid of all the little things.... it does nothing for curb appeal.

Tpan Baskaran thanked fredwgarfield
  • kculbers
    3 years ago

I like the first choice, the pale blue. It it striking, fresh, and quite English. I was stationed in England at Lakenheath United Air Force Base ( I am a retired Captain) and the British love their colorful doors. I have a light grey home, just had a new front door installed, and plan to paint it a light sage green. Please post a picture when you complete your paint project❣️ Your home is lovely❣️I also like Jennifer Haven’s green choice.

Tpan Baskaran thanked kculbers
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Green or black.

Tpan Baskaran thanked HU-187528210
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

I like the color of your house numbers to provide contrast. They look like a soft black. My only problem with the robins egg blue door color (which is lovely) is that the whole house is very pale and it feels like the door needs to be screaming “I’m here!” I agree with @fredwgarfield. You need to clear everything off from the front and consider buying one beautiful Japanese Maple tree for the area to the left. Definitely leave your wide front step clear.

Tpan Baskaran thanked RedRyder
  • Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In regards to the garage, compare yours to next door’s. When all the trim is painted the same color, it looks less broken up/busy. Consider a warm grey, to compliment roof and the stone edging. It will also reduce the amount of the pink overall, without taking over visually.

Below is a color pallet with a lovely green for the front door (Include trim). I think it will provide a less dainty, more earthy feel than the light blue.

To increase the focus on entrance (not sure what the brick ledge is on the right, so probably not possible to add two planters), I’d add a large planter with flowers to the left and remove everything else. You could also add boxwood or grasses. The greenery will enhance and emphasize the front door.

If a Japanese Maple suits your planting Zone, it would be a lovely addition and suggest cutting things back and adding ground cover to the small garden. Nursery staff could suggest the right choices for your climate.

Tpan Baskaran thanked Maureen
  • holly6482
    3 years ago

I would paint the garage doors something like the brick (either the main brick or the accent) but 2-3 shades darker so it doesn't become a focal point. I would not paint the trim (except for around the garage windows) as this will make it not match your window trim.

For the door, muted green or blue would be nice. I would avoid black anywhere including with pots. Stick with muted colors.

Tpan Baskaran thanked holly6482