Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yiujun

Vinyl over the stone tile, complementary color to the cherry hardwood?

yiujun
3 years ago

Thinking of possibly laying vinyl over the existing stone tiles. Would love some ideas of what colours that may be complementary to the cherry hardwood?

Comments (6)

• fredwgarfield
    3 years ago

The dining room furniture is not in alight with design style of house.... lights above dining table are way too high and really not made for a dining room.... Paint the walls a darker color.. .. consider a round table to break up all the hard edges... forget vinyl tile floor over that stone...

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t change it unless you can have one matching floor throughout.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

No wood look vinyl next to real wood and never layed on top of another flooring either .IMO either leave it or change it to the same as the wood floor.

• yiujun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My problem is that I don’t like the hardwood, but it seems silly to rip up hardwood. I haven’t moved in yet (those were pics of the previous owners’ home) so I guess I’ll see what we do once we get possession of the house.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

OK....so you DO NOT LIKE the HARDWOOD...so you've decided to cover up the TILE? Hmmm. Not the way I would go about it.

It makes NO SENSE to cover up an 'acceptable' floor (in your eyes) to make the UGLY floor look 'better'. It's like putting on new shoes when you HATE the dress you are wearing! The shoes will NOT make you feel any better about how you are dressed.

Change the thing you DO NOT LIKE. That is the BIGGEST return you will have. If you do not, you will have wasted money on COVERING up the WRONG floor.

Let's walk through what you are about to do. First, you will purchase ++square feet of RIGID vinyl planks (not the cheap stuff....NOOOOOO....the GOOD stuff for $8/sf - zoinks!). Now you will realize you must PREPARE the tile. Yah....you need to FILL the grout lines. Add $2/sf for labour to do that. Excellent, your cheap fix = $10sf and you haven't CHANGED a darn thing. Perfect!

Now you have to INSTALL the vinyl. Right. Add $3/sf for the cost of a professional to install. Great. We have now spent $13/sf. But wait! That STUPID HARDWOOD is STILL THERE! Oh no! I still have to live with the UGLY! And I spent all this money! I still hate the HARDWOOD! Wow. I wish I had replaced the hardwood! I don't have any money left! I spent it on the tile. Grrrrrrr!

Remember: it is TOUGH to get vinyl over tiles. It is more work (read: costs more money) than you EVER thought possible.

A decent hardwood floor + install will cost $10-$15/sf = includes labour and materials. Think it through before you cover up the WRONG floor.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

If you don't like the hardwood or the stone tiles you should consider replacing it all with one type of flooring that you do like - before you move in.