Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcucch

Exterior Spruce Up *IDEAS NEEDED*

LC
3 years ago

Hi all, we’re looking to modernize the exterior of this backsplit home. We need a new roof so that will be done in black, I’m thinking to get the windows painted black as well. I would like to add stucco where the cream/grey block on my hideously edited photo is. On top of that would be the address in cursive writing.

Do you think a black garage door is too much darkness for this home? Perhaps the siding on the peak should be a dark grey opposed to black? I love cream, red brick and black together so I’m trying to incorporate those in a modern way. Any suggestions? Also what is a good program to edit photos to get an idea of how it’ll look? My iPhone isn’t clearly cutting it lol THANKS!

Comments (27)

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

First question is would you whitewash the brick just a tad? Or are you connected to it?
    I love your vision ... would say go for the black windows. Black roof. Stucco... but I’m hesitant on the black for garage and front door. I’d wait on that part.

• kj s
    3 years ago

I live in the Pacific Northwest and every new or updated garage door is black. I say go for it if the look speaks to you. Hsve you thought about including some horizontal wood somewhere (or as porch railing) to warm up the overall look?

• Patricia Couryney
    3 years ago

I would paint the wood siding white. A White House and black trims is beautiful.
    Will give you a modern look

• janzian
    3 years ago

Definitely paint the garage door, consider dark grey. White looks like large buck teeth. It's a nice house! You could modernize the railing too with some contemporary panels or even a square pattern in metal. Have fun!

• Beth G
    3 years ago

What part of the country do you live in? A black roof will absorb heat & raise your air conditioning bills.

• carol beachlady
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Personally, I think the black is a little severe, though black trim seems to be trendy right now. Narrow the color choice down to 2 or 3 other alternates, get some sample paints, and try out the colors on larger areas. Agree on the black roof absorbing heat, and a black garage door will also heat up your garage area. Do you want this - ? The style of your house is a more traditional rancher style, so a softer muted shade for the trim and garage door would be more appropriate. Also, I would vote against the address in cursive writing - this would conflict with the more contemporary look you seem to be aiming for. Just the numerals are easier to read.

• ruth
    3 years ago

Have you considered a red door to pop with all of those black and grays?

• doubletrbl
    3 years ago

I agree, changing the front door to give a contrast colour would look great. Would you also consider removing/replacing the rail on the porch? You could go with a linear wire look to make it modern.
    We have an older sidesplit and changed out our windows, garage door and front door. It made a huge impact, as we have a really ugly pinkish/peach brick.

LC thanked doubletrbl
  • PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

The combination of the red brick, black and white will be great but I would do it a little bit differently.

The black roof will be great. I would do the trim closest to the roof black as well as the door side lights and storm door and windows black as you note. Gutters and railing spindles in black and the small rectangular section over the garage in black and trim of the porch floor in black as well as step treads.

LC thanked Lisa Caudill Designs
  • PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

one other option is to leave the windows white and paint the brick under the porch white so it is more like the sample porch picture. If you do that then I would do just the top rail in black

• doubletrbl
    3 years ago

If you’re looking for an app to use for photo editing you can try ‘Procreate’ it takes a bit of learning but allows you to do layering of the photo and cut and paste of features.

LC thanked doubletrbl
  • Kim Dem
    3 years ago

Completely agree with Carol Beachlady: "Also, I would vote against the address in cursive writing - this would conflict with the more contemporary look you seem to be aiming for."

LC thanked Kim Dem
  • PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Agree on the house numbering. Keep it sleek and modern

LC thanked Lisa Caudill Designs
  • wenas5
    3 years ago

Keep it simple. ER's + police + visitors need Plain Big address #'s in "contrast colors" that can be easily seen from the street. Tape up various size paper samples, then view from the street. My vote is against the address in cursive writing, on any style home.

• Donna Collins
    3 years ago

Rather than using stucco above the garage door, would you consider a stained wood? It would look very nice and modern against the black you're proposing for the gable siding and the garage doors and would help keep the black from feeling stark or overly heavy. Someone above had recommended that you consider heat gain with your proposed black roof. That's definitely an issue in a lot of the country. You might want to look into the various "Cool Roof" shingles. I don't know if you could get them in black, but you could definitely find some nice grey tones that would compliment your new color scheme and could keep you more comfortable in your cute house.

• brenda880
    3 years ago

I think black would be totally oppressive on your house. If you’re not willing to change the colour of the brick, that should be the darkest colour on the house! And don’t do a black roof either, still too dark and hot. The brick is a ‘warm’ colour so you need to accent in ‘warm’ colours. Right now even the white is too bright and cool against the warm brick. I am thinking a warm slightly greenish taupe perhaps (green is the complimentary colour to red) for everything including new railings as the white stands out too much as well. As an aside, you should also revamp the ‘square’ garden and grass into rounded curves to make that more inviting and put in some nice shrubs or trees or grasses to give it some character.

• Renee Tatge
    3 years ago

I mocked up a few of the ideas listed here including (1) the black siding and windows the OP said they are considering as well as (2) a softer slate grey a few mentioned, (3) painting the door a contrasting color, and (4) introducing vertical wood with the wood door.

LC thanked Renee Tatge
  • LC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Renee Tatge wow thanks so much for the mock up, it really helps me to imagine the possibilities! love the slate grey. May i ask which program you used to create these looks?

• LC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@hu818472722 thanks for your input, i agree a lighter colour above the garage might be a softer look!

• LC
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@doubletrbl thanks for your input, definitely open to changing the railing. I was thinking to paint it black to go along with window trim/ roof

• Renee Tatge
    3 years ago

I just use Power Point. I'm sure there are many better programs out that but PP is what I use at work for creating flyers and such so it's what I know how to use. If you want to see a different color, I'll try to keep tabs on this thread and mock it up for you when I am able!

I really like the color palate @hu818472722 suggested!

• HU-850044798
    3 years ago

Perhaps paint the garage door charcoal. Paint the steps cream (safety) and light up the sides. I think Art Deco style numbers, written vertically on a lighted panel on the right side of the garage would really modernize the house. I wouldn't paint the bricks, but find a brick color that blends well for the door with an extra long handle. The support beams for the porch need cleaner lines, but the railing only needs paint. I love to see older homes get a modern touch. I hope to get to see the final product. :-)

• carol beachlady
    3 years ago

Your brick is a warmer tone - try some warmer shades. The blue on the brick house shown above is wonderful - ! The blue is the primary trim color, the black and white are highlights. The sample cards at your home improvement will show groups of coordinating colors. - so for maximum impact select a group of 3 shades. Stay away from any bright colors, like orange, yellow, turquoise, teal, etc. or saturated colors like black and charcoal. The architecture of your house is not right for a stark black and white scheme , , ,

• Paul Marzolla
    3 years ago

Paint your brick white. Replace railings and roof support with chip and dale style railing and solid post roof support.

Add a trellis over the garage. You can keep front door and garage door white or replace both with an faux light oak fiberglas.

Replace roof shingles with red scallop design. Plant boxwood along driveway.

If there is room in the budget you should replace the driveway and walk with red brick pavers in a herringbone patter.

• Cheryl Harrison
    3 years ago

Have you considered a galvanized metal standing seam metal roof (if in your budget)? That would be more energy efficient (and maybe qualify for a tax credit or rebate--mine did about 10 years ago). The lighter color roof would contrast nicely with a dark charcoal paint. And definitely consider a new door--maybe a three or four-light modern door--with a nice pop or color--red is an obvious choice with the red brick. If you decide to stucco over the brick, any vibrant color would look good against the dark paint. I like the idea of using horizontal wood too, as another poster mentioned. Also, consider using house numbers with a modern font placed either above the garage, horizontally or maybe next to the the garage, vertically. For the house numbers, choose a metal finish which contrasts the color of the paint (eg. dark paint, brushed nickel numbers or light paint, black or bronze numbers. Also consider a downlight, like a modern sconce to light the house numbers.