Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piaa

What tile for this floor

piaa
3 years ago

Any suggestions please for shower wall tile (2 walls only) and tile above the vanity (to the ceiling)

I am obsessed with my floor tile (love, love, love) which is a polished Calacatta marble and it has been suggested that a plain matte ceramic white subway tile laid vertically would be best as the floor is the show piece but I find that just blah and doesn't do the floor justice. I do agree the shower and vanity wall tile can't compete (but to be honest I can't imagine getting ready and looking at a matte ceramic subway tile)

The photo was taken in the trunk of my car so is a little bit lighter than the true color and I do like the idea of a white tile as I like the bathroom to feel clean and fresh. The vanity will be white with a white countertop but I am trying to avoid the room being too sterile but not sure I want to go with a color so still thinking white - there will be 2 mirrors on the wall so a lot of tile will be covered and vertical wall sconces.

The house is a 1920's home so white glass subway might be too modern - I want to honor the era of the home therefore the subway (but I am open to anything) but at least there would be a little shine?

UGH ... I am just so stuck ... help please :)

Comments (5)

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

Q - the tile above is beautiful - I know it’s not a great photo of it - but I have looked at around a thousand marble tiles over the past few weeks, so I can imagine what it looks like in real life.

I understand your dilemma. It must be difficult to choose a subtle tile for your walls, especially the wall behind your vanity - typically, that wall is covered with a “main attraction” type of tile. Personally, I would want to use the above tile on that wall + perhaps as a feature on part of a shower wall - especially because of all the grout lines. However, I am sure they will make a stunning looking floor.

I think that you should look at some of the interesting “handmade” looking glazed tiles that are in high demand these days. These type of “Zellige inspired’ tiles are much more interesting than regular white subway tile. They come in various sizes (both rectangular and square). They also can be glossy, matte, or a mixed variation. These tiles have a sort of shimmer to them due to how the light bounces off the uneven surfaces. Some are more handmade looking vs. others - but they all are more interesting than a plain white subway tile. I also think because they have a handmade vibe, they would look more “natural” paired with actual marble.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

OR - you could use a dolomite tile (marble’s cousin)

OR Thassos marble hexagon mosaic

You could also take a thassos marble 3x9 tile like these below - and lay it in a herringbone pattern on the walls

Here is another dolomite tile stacked vertically in the shower

• dani_m08
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

OR - you can use a less expensive white subway tile and install it in an less common layout

Now - if I could only FINALIZE the tile selections for my master bathroom - need to give them to my contractor tomorrow . . . YIKES!

piaa thanked dani_m08
  • piaa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

dmac1108 - thank you so much I love some of these. We found something that might work today (maybe) but might still look - I hope you found something you love today

• chispa
    3 years ago

I would use that tile on the back wall of the shower too and use a simple tile on the shower wing walls (assuming you have 3 tiled walls and 1 glass wall).