Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_11695934

All off white kitchen or dark island cabinets

Kellie Davis
3 years ago

I'm remodelling my kitchen with off white traditional/transitional cabinets. I love traditional but trying to come up with a look that will be in between. Debating between going all off white including island or use coffee colored cabinets for the island? The countertop is Taj mahal quartzite. I feel like using traditional coffee cabinets for island will make the kitchen more traditional then transitional. Very confused as I like both looks. Any thoughts?

Comments (17)

• judrand05
    3 years ago

Just a matter of taste but I prefer a kitchen to be simple in style so it's easy to keep clean and because it's the room where we need to read recipes and measuring tools, light. It's the food that's important so let it take precedence over style. A more industrial, work place is the ultimate kitchen, as far as I'm concerned.

Kellie Davis thanked judrand05
  • Shannon_WI
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

An island with different color cabinets from the perimeter cabinets is very popular for the reason you stated and to add more interest. Just keep in mind that when choosing backsplash, flooring and wall paint, you will need them all to go with two colors rather than one. That is done all the time, but it's just something for you to keep in mind.

Kellie Davis thanked Shannon_WI
  • kay
    3 years ago

One good thing is if it’s all paint grade, you can always change the island color years down the road if you want. I say go with the trending two tone now, and change it in the future if you ever want to.

Kellie Davis thanked kay
  • Kellie Davis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input. So if I'm trying to achieve a transitional look, using 2 colors for cabinets will fail that? I have looked at several pictures with both options. I personally like both looks: off white perimeter cabinets and coffee island cabinets or all off white cabinets. I know my kitchen would be more traditional but I don't want it to look completely outdated if I use the dark traditional sland cabinets

• kay
    3 years ago

I think doing a two tone kitchen will work for a transitional kitchen. What style doors are you selecting? Do you have any inspiration photos you can post?

Kellie Davis thanked kay
  • Maureen
    3 years ago

I don’t think the color of the island cabinetry will have much of an influence. The other choices, like backsplash, lighting, stools, dining set, etc will set the direction. I would stick to the same color for a classic look and concentrate on choices/lean in the direction you prefer.

Kellie Davis thanked Maureen
  • Kellie Davis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm using Princeton Off White cabinet by life art. It's pretty traditional cabinet. If I choose to do a dark cabinetry on the island, it will be Edinburg from Life art. Countertop I have decided and yes I'm going to keep other choices a bit more single tone. Initially I was pretty sure that I wanted a dark tone island cabinet but have been seeing all off white classic kitchens and love the look also.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I think a stained island would be great with your other finishes. It makes it look more like a piece of furniture, blending into open rooms nearby. One other thing to keep in mind if you are using stools on the island - the darker and stained finish is much easier to keep looking nice, especially if you have kids who aren't always careful about kicking their feet.

• kay
    3 years ago

I agree with @niccidhg The white or off white cabinets with the natural stained island would be beautiful, very on trend, while also being timeless. I think the very dark brown espresso colors are a bit out dated.

If your only color choice/option is a dark brown espresso , then I would stick with the all off white cabinets. The all off white cabinets will never be out of style nor feel dated. You can change up stools, accessories, handles/knobs over the years to update an all off white kitchen.

I recently went through this same dilemma. (Just finishing up our kitchen now) I wanted a two tone kitchen but I really wanted the more natural stained island. The company Medallion that we went with, didn’t offer anything that looked good for the stain. Their darker colors all looked too outdated to me. We ended up with an all white kitchen but I feel happy with my decision. I know it is timeless and I am able to add a lot of finishing touches to it with stools, pendant lights, etc that make it what I want. We added a lot of natural materials, honed marble, handmade zellige backsplash, black steel windows, hand casted bronze hardware and antiqued brass pendant lights. My point being that you can do anything with an all white or off white kitchen.

Best of luck and please let us know what you decide.

• Kellie Davis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much everyone. I'm new to houzz and have been a silent reader and now feel so glad that I posted my question. Everyone has been so helpful. Kay, I feel the same way but hubby wants a dark island. Trying to convince him to go all off white. I realized that I didn't feel like getting dark island after the sample door sat on my current island for few days and I just felt like it will look like an island from 2005/2006. Unless I'm using a dark tone like blue or other trendy colors. But then hubby says all the old trends will come back in near future. He wanted an all dark kitchen but agreed with off white just because I agreed for dark cabinetry for island🤣🤣. Kay, do you have any pics of your kitchen to share?

• niccidhg
    3 years ago

Kellie, here is a gorgeous all white/ off white kitchen that has been paired and accented with dark brown/ bronze stools and fixtures.

Kellie Davis thanked niccidhg
  • Kellie Davis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love this kitchen nicking!

• Kellie Davis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is my dilemma. I have been looking at kitchen ideas for about a year. I have always loved traditional kitchens and I'm still in love with those, the ones with corbels and carvings. I know that will be too much for the current times and that's why I decided to go with an off white tradional cabinet without glaze(doesn't look too traditional), use single tone backsplash, apron front granite composite sink, modern hardware, quartzite for countertop. The designer we are working with says I should do whatever pleases me as trends come and go and traditional is making its way back with a mix of modern and traditional. Now the question is which posts/fillers to use as our measurements are such that we need to. Which post is not going to be too much? Here are the three options I have to choose from:

• kay
    3 years ago

Of those three, I would select the middle one.

Kellie Davis thanked kay
  • Kellie Davis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The fluted one right?

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I'd choose the twist or the fluted option. You might consider what type of stool legs you're getting.

Kellie Davis thanked calidesign