Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Tarnished metal

eld6161
2 years ago

First, what do you think these are. They are yellowish, so....not copper.

What would be the best way to product to clean them.

I tried salt and vinegar and just a bit came off. I think a cleaner for this purpose would work better.

What would you recommend?

Comments (14)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Brass?

And are you sure they're not meant to have a patina?

• eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I bought them years ago and they were not this tarnished. They were put away for a while and I recently took them back out and would like them to look less dirty.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

Try lemon and baking soda, that may work.

eld6161 thanked maddielee
  • lucillle
    2 years ago

I agree, brass. But brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. I would try some commercial copper cleaner, the kind that comes in the little round jars with a sponge.

eld6161 thanked lucillle
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

How about Brasso metal polish?

eld6161 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I'm a fan of barkeeper's friend.

eld6161 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • happy2b…gw
    2 years ago

I have used Brasso with success on brass. It took a couple of applications and elbow grease, but I was able to "customize" the amount of clean I wanted and leave some of the patina/tarnish. The birds are very pretty.

eld6161 thanked happy2b…gw
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So it doesn’t matter, brass or copper?

• eld6161
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I tried ketchup, did not work:)”(

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

I have a lot of brass in my home including door knobs and handles, letterbox, light fittings, candlesticks, etc, and I’ve never seen brass that colour. I think they’re meant to be like that. Could they be bronze?

If they are brass can you get Duraglit wadding in the States? I prefer it to Brasso.

• Lukki Irish
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If they are heavy, then they’re probably brass. Even though they would pretty and shiney cleaned up, they might not be as interesting. I don’t know if it’s still around or not, but as a kid, I had the fun job of polishing the brass we had. I’d use something called Twinkle Brass and Copper Cleaner. It’s a paste you wipe on, let dry and then buff off, it works really well. Ace Hardware and Amazon both sell it.

Twinkle

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

We have this:

Hubby's a drummer and uses it on his cymbals.