Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dt516

Kosher kitchen question

dt516
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We have planned this layout for our kitchen. The peninsula houses a dairy sink while the meat sink sits under the window. Both sinks are not well placed vis a vis 'the kitchen triangle.' So we've added a prep sink into the island. However, we could only really use this sink for either meat or dairy or just for fruits and vegetables. Or, we could use it for everything so long as nothing is ever placed inside. Meanwhile of course it would add additional expense.

So, houzzers, do we need this extra prep sink? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Helen
    2 years ago

I would opt for the additional sink unless it blows your budget to unaffordability. Of course a little here and a little there and it adds up but in general I didn't regret any of the more expensive choices I made that added function.

I don't keep kosher but I do have a lot of frum friends. I think the prep sink would be very helpful. In my experience, most prep work involving a sink is doing fruits and vegetables. I am also pretty sure that many frum people with only ONE sink can use a basin when necessary so that is also an option to keep your prep sink non-treif if you absolutely need to do something dairy or meat in it - but I can't think of that happening often given how and what I prep over a sink.

I am thinking really hard about what I cook and in general if I cut up meat it is generally a fairly quick thing and doesn't have many moving parts. I take the meat out versus accessing many veggies or fruits etc when prepping the veggies - even if the veggies are going into the meat or dairy entree. I would want easy access from the refrigerator to the veggie/fruit access area.

Take a bit and think about how you cook - how do you want to access your spices or other condiments? The paradox of a large kitchen is that although it does give one more storage, it sometimes isn't as efficient in terms of actually working in it.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Think about your cooking routine. Perhaps the meat sink would be good nearer the appliance where you cook meat, so that might mean the island. Dairy sink closer to the area where you typically prep dairy. I've always wanted a separate prep sink and small fridge just for fruit/veg, so that might be helpful at the island as well. Is that side by side fridge two separate columns to keep M & D separate? If so, what about freezer space? Today's kitchens rely more heavily on drawers than shelves, and even uppers are being eliminated due to their inaccessibility, especially if this is your forever home where you plan to grow old. You might want to consider that. Also your lighting looks a bit like overkill to me, but I'm no expert on that subject. The pendants look somewhat mis-located too.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Wow, that is a lot of recessed lights! I hope that they are pretty tiny in size...is this the look you are going for with the lights?

• dt516
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Helen that was a super helpful post. Really appreciate your insight into this. Good stuff and extremely appreciated.

Decoenthusiaste - thank you as well. The fridge is next to a freezer. Each are 36” sub zero.

In terms of drawers I hear that and our island has a lot of functional things (stove, microwave, fridge, possible dishwasher) so doesn’t leave room for much storage.

We do have several drawers on the peninsula all around 21” wide inset. Have a couple larger drawers under warming drawer.

• Helen
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Are you planning to have two ovens. Based on my friends' kvetching (i.e. discussions) many are not able to easily bake dairy because the oven is a meat oven.

What about microwaves - again some people are limited in terms of what they can nuke.

What is the placement of the microwave - I have a microwave drawer and I love the convenience. Depending on the age of your children, it is very accessible if they are of an age where they are nuking stuff. Many people also find some kind of small refrigerator for drinks is also helpful if you have children who are accessing drinks a lot. It also keeps them out of the prep space if that is a consideration.

I am having trouble figuring out where the refrigerator is. To me close proximity of the refrigerator to my most used prep area is critical.

• dt516
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Haha. Lighting needs work. Wasn’t sure how many lights are needed or where.

• dt516
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Helen - I am posting more pics for clarity. We have an under counter microwave, extra oven, and a an under counter fridge. See pics.

• dt516
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, the main fridge is on the back wall opposite in the window.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

I would keep the fruit/veg sink if it can be worked into the budget. If you used it as a prep sink for meat and dairy, even if those items weren't placed in the sink, would the counter need to be kashered after each use?

• dt516
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks mama goose. No I do not believe the counter would need to be kashered between uses if using granite or quartzite and some other materials.

• loobab
    2 years ago

I would get the extra sink in the island but get one that's a decent size with a disposal.