Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christina_d60

front door paint color

Christina T
2 years ago

Can anyone suggest a good front door paint color?
The house is SW Chelsea Gray.
Orange clay roof

It’s a double full lite (all glass) front door.

White will match but seems sooo boring.

Maybe a darker grey or brown?

Comments (28)

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

How about the color of that car!

Blue is a great contrast to an orange roof... opposite on the color wheel.

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Lyn. My friend suggested that too.

• threers
    2 years ago

The blue is a good idea or another, paint the door your favorite color.. but paint the door over on the left the same color as the house so it just blends in and the focus is on the front door and porch.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    2 years ago

Benjamin Moore Granada Villa is pretty. A bit muted and elegant.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

can you take a closer shot, center the door, and show some of the side color. I'll photo shop some in for you

right now we're getting the green tint from your windshield. and no, the electric blue is not suitable !

I can't ever stick a color on here because of that green tint. makes it look horrible!

lol. a softer blue maybe. unless you want to go full-on spanish style. but you'd need some other elements for that like tile, pottery, etc.

in the meantime, any of these will work.

That white door on the side should be done in the Chelsea, or, another color. I actually like the revere pewter for the trim color. paired with Judys gold color below, all 3 may be a nice combo

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    2 years ago

S W recommends:

It would be great with the roof, too.

Not quite the S W color, but:

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is a closer shot

Ignore my samples!

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I hate Spanish style; so I’d like to work my away from that. I know the roof is making that tough but it’s 20 years old so it won’t be here forever!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

christina,,,,back up so I can get more of the gray color in the shot

don't hate the style. hate the roof color. I have a similar home and got the charcoal cement tile

i need to take better pics. but imagine this roof tile w/your home.

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You’re AMAZING Beth!

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I love the soft yellow that JudyG Designs suggested. It is muted, but draws the eye to the front door. I also agree the other door should be painted the color of the siding so it isn't a distraction.

Lovely house.

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ohhh ok! Paint the side garage door the same SW Chelsea Gray so it does stand out!

Right?

Got it!!!!

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth, you’re absolutely right! I hate the orange roof; would love the dark grey like yours one day!! Changes the entire look!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ok,, here's a quick one w/my roof color .

black looks good too

I just stuck in the bright red doors and planters because it's what I had that matched your door style.

hang on,,i'll be back w/others

are you sure the stucco is Chelsea gray?

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Beth H! Positive the colors is

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

But not BM Chelsea Gray, it’s Sherwin Williams Chelsea Gray

• calidesign
    2 years ago

You may hate the style of your house, but that's the style it is. The roof and the pavers work together. You can't change the style of the home with paint color. Unless or until you change the roof, I'd use a deep terra cotta or mediterranean blue on the door. You could also use a darker charcoal that coordinates with your stucco color, but then the door will be lost back in the deep alcove.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

aw,,,SW chelsea. no wonder.

Ok, so here are some others, with added decor elements.

not sure what color blue this is, but it plays nicely w/your pink tones of the tile and cobbles. Added the plants and glazed pottery. I think you should bring in more cobalt, or emeralds. they look great w/your style home.

Here's an emeral green w/a lot more color in front.

straight black

a coral/peach tone. didn't have an exact match, you'd have to pull one from your cobblestones

see how this color looks against the gray?

what do you think about doing a darker trim color? like this darker charcoal??

here's a french blue door w/added cobalt glazed pots, copper address plaque

I had to throw in the wood spanish style doors. they look so good w/your other elements.

more of a bronze metal type of door

SW Iron Ore

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You’re absolutely AMAZING!

THe door is brand new.. it’s impact glass, so we couldn’t afford to splurge for the more decorative doors, so this is just painting the door

I like the brown.

Am I too boring

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ok wait, check out this redo! lol. when you're ready for the new roof tiles, now you can bring in the cobalt blue. and of course you'll need to pump up the color around it!

you obviously wouldn't have all the terra cotta pots in the flower beds, just the flowers! pretty though, eh? bring in terra cotta (with your current roof tile) and complimentary colored greenery/flowers. and pick one or two of the bright glazed pottery

I understand the door issue. I just wanted to show you some spanish style w/the other pictures.

You're not boring, you just can't visualize what your house can look like.

you could use a nice spanish style pendant light from your ceiling

get a tall plant off to the right to fill in that wall space

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You are AN ANGEL!!!! Thank you

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s stunning!!!

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What app are you using to photoshop

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I just use my Mac desktop-Preview. copy and paste

So, SW chelsea gray is actually more of a green/gray. (BM is more of warmer charcoal)

you could try some of these green/sage tones and see if they work

Judy G gave you this gold tone

not sure if any of these browns will work. Why not go to the SW Color Snap App, and plug in your picture and play around w/these colors?

you said you like the brown. just not sure w/that green/gray you've chosen. what do you think of these?

Any chance of doing a diff trim color, or has that ship sailed?

this darker gray is a compliment to your Chelsea,

or, try Iron Ore or Urbane Bronze

BTW, if you're going to go w/the dark bronze tones, what do you think about doing a mexican sun on your wall? Bring in the sage/aqua ceramic pots, and some other copper accents. The copper/aqua tones will copliment the terra cotta and your stucco color.

The verdi gris hanging planters would also look great w/bright green trailing plaints

or even a copper color one

I think the color of your stucco, paired w/copper and green foilage, will up the curb appeal

love all these colors w/the terra cotta roof and your cobles. I also like this color on this pot for your front door:

or, try this coppery/terra cotta bronze color for the door

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Love the copper and green and bronze

• Christina T
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not big on the yellow but I know yellow and grey are a thing...

I don’t hate it just don’t love it

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

so do I.

Here, I came up w/some other palettes while trying to find you a side door color and a side door sconce

what do you think of these?

I'm in love w/this combo. do you think your stucco is this shade? the top one? paired w/the copper, cream and the black, it's quite the quartet.

But, I also like the Verdi Gris.

this looks so good w/your roof tiles. bring in these tones. somewhere

I also like these blue/gree-grayish paint colors. they complement the terra cotta beautifully, and should work w/your stucco color

any of these will work for the front door.

this blue actually works w/the color in your cobble path. if you bring in the bronze/copper tones, it will all work w/the terra cotta colors and this shade of blue.

SW Dovetail Gray is on the other door

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I don’t question Beth’s taste at all. I do like the strong green color for the front door, though. All the softer colors are going to blend well, but somehow the photoshopped green struck me as inviting. Maybe because you eye goes towards it after seeing the lawn. Or a verdigris green.