Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_249188696

Transition from Kitchen to Mudroom

JN1355
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Can anyone help with my transition from kitchen to mudroom? The current plan includes two 30" wide by 24" deep pantry cabinets along the wall. It's just feeling a bit random to me and I'm nervous about the zig zag feel when trying to get to the laundry room with big baskets.

My ideas are:

1. 15" depth cabinets instead of 24" depth

2. Continue the kitchen cabinets further down the wall (where I have the blue "P") and put a 32" pocket door at the end (marked in red). That way when you walk in from the garage, you are in the mudroom and not the kitchen. Contractor is worried 32" will feel tight. I could do a 36" door, but it would have to swing.

(FYI- I'm making other changes to the kitchen design, but they haven't been added in yet. Feel free to add any suggestions!)

Comments (7)

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

what I'd do: reverse the swing on garage door. Keep the pantry cabs but reduce depth to 12 in and add more along this useful wall now that that door swing is reversed. The section pf pantry cabs closest to dining table should be set up with a break and insert counter . Great coffee section or general landing/laying out food, on occasion...... you decide the inches for this but I would definitely swap a mixture of styles of cabs and insert some counter. You can have a longer run on this wall. I would not add a second pocket door or change the pocket door. Mud room is great but in truth I've lived with them..and [even with laundry in the end position] like your propsed image........ However- in day to day life....every entry to the car to go somewhere or return does not require a stop in the mudroom....so off set with the option through that door is the right way to handle your space. I think utilizing the pantry wall.... in a way, MORE...but at reduced depth is what I'd do for sure. And 12 in deep is useful . You could add one 15 or 18 in wide full depth vertical pantry w roll outs back In the mudroom section for backup storage and things laundry related and other household storage, if you need it. [ is that six feet of bench???] Must ask...where are your drawers in working part of kitchen. I see base cabs / you want drawers. You have a blank wall opposite the laundry machinery in mudroom.....it might accept some shallow counter and cubbies or open cab below. think about that.

• JN1355
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! I love all of your input and really appreciate it! Yes, mudroom bench for 4 kids and 2 adults. I was worried it wasn’t enough, so you made me feel better on that.

• JN1355
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow, thanks so much for this suggestion! I don't think I can move the door in the laundry room... it goes out to the deck and the exterior wall is hardcoat stucco. However, even if I leave the door, this scenario could be awesome, right? I feel like aesthetically the longer cabinet run in the kitchen looks really nice. I just need to be able to make up the pantry storage. I'm thinking a 30" wide, 24" depth pantry cabinet with roll out shelves will be enough... I'm also working on trying to get a bit more space between the fridge and island. I'm worried it's a bit tight there.

I can't do much in the garage... It's a 3 car garage, but the cars fill the space with little room leftover.

• Rachel Simanski
    2 years ago

The garage door really needs to be IN the mudroom, so I would remove the door going into the mudroom so it's just all open. If not the kids will drop there stuff right there & not even go into the mud room. You need to enter into the mudroom.

JN1355 thanked Rachel Simanski
  • JN1355
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That's my thoughts exactly... Make it super easy for kids to drop backpacks, put away shoes before coming into the house. Seems to make logical sense to me, but I realize it closes off that doorway to the kitchen a bit. Maybe I keep it a 40" wide open walkway into the kitchen and then do the pocket door between the mudroom and laundry area.

• chicagoans
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

(not a pro) I was also thinking the garage door should open into the mudroom. And have you considered flipping the orientation of the mudroom? Easier / more direct to vent the dryer if it's on an exterior wall. I would want to keep the outside door into the mudroom so kids can come in from playing outside (or you when doing yardwork) without going around through the garage. Also easier if you ever have a dog so you can let it outside more easily.

JN1355 thanked chicagoans