Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wahpatm

I need help with curb appeal, without breaking the bank!

wahpatm
2 years ago

We bought our house for its location and the surrounding property. its our forever home, but it was in shambles. we completely renovated the interior and now it’s time we start looking at the exterior. The left portion of the house doesnt look right to me because the gable doesn’t cover the entire portion of the extension. my husband just wants to replace the roof and siding with no major construction and says it doesnt look as bad as I think. Ive considered have the gable made to cover the entire section, using stone on the portion that’s not covered, or making the window under the gable much larger. but I’m at a loss now for what to do. should I just replace the roof and siding like my husband wants?

Comments (7)

• houssaon
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think the gable is the right size and looks fine. If you need a new roof, I hope you do a green standing seam one again - or red. I think it gives the house a presence.

It looks like the house could use a washing. Then paint it with a good quality white exterior paint. I would do the trim in a hunter green to work with the roof. Paint the trim of the windows green, too. I would paint the gable a medium gray. Paint the front door a brighter yellow.

Then add a garden at the foundation on the left side of the house. Leave the porch open. I would use colorful pottery near the front door with colorful annuals.

Or paint the gable green like the roof.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Ive considered have the gable made to cover the entire section, using stone on the portion that’s not covered, or making the window under the gable much larger. but I’m at a loss now for what to do. should I just replace the roof and siding like my husband wants?

Looks like a previous owner enclosed part of the porch to create another room--which makes it doubtful that there is sufficient foundation to support the different gable that you envision. IOW's that end wall that is under the porch is just fill-in and not a supporting wall.

What is wrong with the roof?

• User
    2 years ago

To me your house has charm and personality. I don’t think you need to change the roofline., and i like the way the entire roof slopes. If you need to repair the roof do it best quality, but otherwise I think paint and plants are all you need, and a tidy porch. Lower your hanging basketS of flowers. They will look nicer and be easier to water and care for.

if you’re not interested in putting a vegetable garden on the left side of house I suggest an ornamental, wide-branching tree, perhaps one that flowers and has colorful fall leaves. plant it a bit to the left of the house and it will help screen the equipment area in the rear.

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

If the roof needs to be repaired/replaced and siding needs to be replaced - that is one thing. But just from a standpoint of curb appeal, I would just freshen up the white paint on house, or maybe just have it cleaned. I’d put a few pots with trees around the house.

I think I’d bring in another front door, maybe wood.

Enhance the grass a bit and add some solar lights on grounds.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I also think the gable is fine.
    I’d start with painting the house ( unless the materials are damaged )
    I’d beef up the porch posts.
    And possibly add French doors to the porch where the windows are. Landscaping will make a big impact too.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

If you are re roofing...have you considered completely removing the gable on the left side and having the roofline of the porch extend to the left side of the house? Then you could play with the size of both windows on the left. What are those rooms? Why is the one window large and the other smaller? I could see a long low roof across the entire facade of the home. A true rancher!!!!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living