Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat2021

Help with updating 50's bathroom - pink tile challenge

cat2021
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, how would you update this bathroom? I was thinking a complimentary wallpaper that's soft on the eyes to balance out the aggressive speckled pink tiles. Or paint the tiles and walls. What color palette would you use? What style would you go for?

Comments (19)

• User
    2 years ago

I’m afraid if you think the pink is aggressive it will be hard to find something to obliterate its affect on you. Any thought of re-tiling?

If the tiles were not there, what would you like that bathroom to be if you couldn’t make structure changes? If you could wave a magic color wand....

cat2021 thanked User
  • User
    2 years ago

Wallpaper

Hexagon Mirror: Satin Brass Finish · More Info

Hinkley Lighting Latitude 4 Light Bath Light, Brushed Nickel - 5654BN · More Info

Historic Hillsborough · More Info

Blush and Black Print Shower Curtain · More Info

HotelSpa 6-Setting 6" Rainfall Shower Head, Angle-Adjustable, Chrome Face · More Info

;)

cat2021 thanked User
  • beesneeds
    2 years ago

Kind of hard to tell how aggressive those pink tiles are with the wall color what it is, but they look in good shape.

A soft cream, beige, or even light green could help mellow the pink a bit.

Swap out those boxy shades for something else- a streamline shade or even some stickable frosted glass treatment.

Replace the current mirror with a nicer one.

What's the fan like? If it's an old model, consider upgrading to one that might be more energy efficient, quieter, and perhaps has lighting. What does your current ceiling light look like?

cat2021 thanked beesneeds
  • cat2021
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User I was thinking either painting the tiles and walls white to give it a fresh and cleaner feel. Or use one of these wall papers...

• cat2021
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@beesneeds I updated the post to include a closeup of the tile and beige wall. The ceiling has an old electric heating fan. Thanks again.

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

a wall paper with a loose subtle foliage patten would be appropriate, with greens and navy. kind of a large palm frond style.

cat2021 thanked Lyn Nielson
  • PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    2 years ago

If you have a pic of the full vanity wall we may be able to advise on the rest of the details. Also a pic of the floor and light fixtures

cat2021 thanked LilDesignWorks
  • lhutch13
    2 years ago

Just do with Grey walls and accents. Grey and pink is a classic color combination

cat2021 thanked lhutch13
  • User
    2 years ago

Your wallpaper reminds me of the phases of the moon. It’s very nice. (Me? I would put a ruffled shower curtain with it. ;)

I don’t know how successfully you can paint your tile. Not saying you can’t, just suggesting you read up. You can usually find out with internet searches.

cat2021 thanked User
  • calidesign
    2 years ago

I wouldn't add more pattern to the walls. Just paint the walls white, cream, or very light gray. Put your money into a simple roller shade for the windows. Or remove the blinds completely and use a window film instead that gives you privacy while maintaining light. You could also consider a new mirror.

cat2021 thanked calidesign
  • cpartist
    2 years ago

How old is the house? I ask because the door is more indicative of a much older house than one built in the 50's.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I don't find the tile "aggressive" and would paint the walls to match the grout if you want a softer feeling.

cat2021 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    2 years ago

I see a lot of either blush pink or very light pinkish-terracotta objects and fabrics in the stores these days. Maybe you can make that color work for you with accessories.

cat2021 thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • freedomplace1
    2 years ago

It looks like a shower curtain would cover most of the tile part (?).

I would keep it simple. A very pale pink paint on the walls, if you’d like to work with the pink. Or just whlte/off-white/ivory color on walls. You could really just keep it simple on the walls and bring in pattern and or color on shower curtain, towels, etc.

cat2021 thanked freedomplace1
  • houssaon
    2 years ago

It looks like those dots were applied afterward. Some of them seem to be in the grout and on the edging. Could that be the case?

I would start by painting the walls a white in a matte finish. The sheen on the walls is not helping. I think the blinds should be replaced.

One the walls are painted, the tile might not look so aggressive.

cat2021 thanked houssaon
  • beesneeds
    2 years ago

Thanks for posting the extra pic with the closer up of the tile/wall. Though now I'm curious about the tile...

Is there a silicone layer over the whole edge of the shower? That closeup looks like silicone caulk covering over the trim tile a bit. So that made me really look again at the other pics and it looks a little blurred like that goes on all around the shower. Why is that?

And also on a closer look... in the photo with the shower head/handle, there looks to be a large vertical crack in the tiles below and to the right of the shower handle. Does that crack start at the tub and go up many tiles? I can see it going across at least 3 tiles from the pic.

• cat2021
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Everyone, thank you very much for taking the time to offer your suggestions! I ended up removing some of the hardware from the previous tenant and painted everything (except for the ceiling) Swiss Coffee. I loved the terra cotta color palette suggestion from @Nancy R z5 Chicagoland, adding to my existing amber glass pieces. The next change I'll make is update the blinds to something simpler that will function to also keep the dust out. To answer @cpartist's question, I believe the house was built around 1925/1930, so I imagine the bathroom was remodeled in the 50's given the tiles.

• User
    2 years ago

swiss coffee sounds like it would be so pretty with that tile! post pics!

if you still think the pink is too much, consider a pretty shower curtain that's closed all the time.

one other suggestion (and I might get some flak for it here on houzz): if it's just the wall tile that bothers you, you can have it reglazed. a good company will do this with multiple layers of epoxy, clear coat, etc, so it's super tough. a side bonus is the old grout will be sealed. I wouldn't recommend this for a tub, but for wall tiles it should hold up pretty well.

with close inspection, it won't look as real as normal tile and grout, but if you hate the pink tile, it would be an improvement. I find that white gives the most realistic looking outcome.

FWIW: I like the pink tile though!