Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathy_ho9324885

where should I end the wainscoting in my entryway

Cathy HN
2 years ago

Hi all, the entryway I have is in need of something…I was originally hoping to replace the tile but alas, it does not look like that will happen. I was thinking some almost half wall 32” high wainscoting would make the area more elegant and formal but am having a hard time deciding which walls should have it and where I should end it.

I was originally only going to do the areas which I marked in yellow (the one in red is the other side of the standalone closet)and end it at the wraparound corners.

I’m worried that ending it where where the hallway ends might look choppy and that I should just do the hallway as well…originally, I also figured it would be fine to leave the standalone closet as is, without wainscoting, but I’ve had someone else tell me I should do it as well…The issue seems to be that if I do the entire four walls of the standalone closet then the panels will spill over into the open concept dining room area and I worry that it will look random. Given that the dining is in an open concept area, I didn’t want to do wainscoting of the opposite wall as it goes the whole length from kitchen to lithe sitting area.

I’ve also narrowed the panelling down to these 3 styles and would love some input on what might look best. I should mention that I have 8ft ceilings.

Comments (13)

• cawaps
    2 years ago

Traditional homes that have wainscoting also have cased doorways and cased opening where you can naturally end it. You don't. If you don't want to add them, I think the wainscoting is inadvisable.

• kathylawyer
    2 years ago

I would case the door ways, ( your carpenter or contractor will have a pretty good idea on the best way to do this), also keep in mind when deciding on the type of panels you want , where your wall electrical outlets are.

I love wainscoting. ( this pic. makes the paneling look really narrow, it's 36.5" above the floor)

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

You are adding weight to a narrow hall. Not a great idea. Your home is modern not really suited for formal wainscoting. Keep looking. This is not your answer.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    2 years ago

I think it can look great. You presenting a formal welcoming area and defining your entryway. Your entry looks to go from the front door to the end of the hall where the closet is. I would do just that area. You can add a trim around the opening to the right near the kitchen. At the end of the hall just have a trim that ties into the wainscoting. What 3 styles were you wanting input on?

• Steve Grimes
    2 years ago

Wainscoting can be terminated into a door casing, inside corner, or outside corner. IMO, the outside corner termination is a little odd.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    2 years ago

I don't think wainscoting is your answer. How about painting the inside of the front door a color and adding a painting on the wall.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

No to wainscot; especially not with the tile flooring! Lighten up the foyer/hall with a colorful rug and a runner for the hall. Remove the heavy leather bench and the incongruous wall items. Install a great art gallery of stuff you've collected over the years. Keep the contemporary vibe in mind.

• Cathy HN
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Okay. It seems as through there is a good number of folks that are opposing the wainscoting…and for good reasons…which means less work for me. I’ve been playing with the idea of painting the doors a charcoal, but am weary that the closet doors are right there and that it might be weird that they won’t match.

Is there anyone who opposes to black doors?

• Cathy HN
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste so a rug 3x5 and a runner? Please don’t take offence, totally new to all this but I don’t think I’ve come across two rugs and runners in the same area. Worried it will just look cluttered

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I disagree.

• Cathy HN
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I see!! Thankyou!

• lkloes
    2 years ago

I agree with no wainscoting but would love to see a nice runner in that entry hall as well as some fabulous art on that long wall across from the bench.