Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pblake969

do i want a built in soap dispenser with my kitchen sink

pblake969
10 years ago
any pros or cons for a built in soap dispensers installed by the faucet on kitchen sink?

Comments (33)

• PRO
    R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
    10 years ago
    They get rusty after a while and stop pumping soap. If you are installing a granite countertop you will end up with a hole that you have to plug.
  • Blue
    10 years ago
    I had a hard time deciding too and now love mine. It's either that or have bottle or pump ALWAYS on your countertop. Mine is stainless and the bottle under the sink is plastic. Not sure how that rusts, but if does, I think I'll buy another piece to replace it. In any case that's YEARS from now and in the meantime, mine suits my needs. I vote go for it.
  • PRO
    R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    There is a spring inside the pump that pushes the pump up after you compress it. This spring gets rusty and becomes unable to push the pump up so when you compress it it stays down and you have to pull it up manually. This happens sometimes when you go on vacation or do not use it for a while.
  • PRO
    Paradigm Gallery
    10 years ago
    So far, so good.
  • PRO
    R H Kitchen and Bath Ltd
    10 years ago
    pegonia1 what brand is yours. I had two clients install it one was Franke and one was Grohe and both did the same after a while.
  • Kivi
    10 years ago
    I would never do one again. They corrode etc.. I prefer the nice pump dispensers that come with some of the specialty soap lines.
  • pegonia1
    10 years ago
    RH - soap dispenser is Rohl. I also had another one (don't remember the brand) in a different house and never had a problem for over 10 years.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    What, and give up my Bath and Body Works soap addiction! LOL! Love the Fresh Market Apple one for the kitchen :) Easy to wipe off (I'm a neat freak) ..
  • csevene
    10 years ago
    I have one of these and love, love, love it!!!
    Have never had any issues w/it ...
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Mine is 8 years old, still working, love it. Don't know brand.
  • moonblue
    10 years ago
    Me too. Love it.
  • js12981
    10 years ago
    They are great. We had one break once, but it was super easy to replace. You shouldn't have any problems doing so if you do experience an issue with your pump down the road.
  • evamdesign
    10 years ago
    I much prefer the foaming soap dispensers and haven't seen one yet for a built in soap dispensers. Otherwise I do like the fact that there is one less thing on the sink
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I hated mine. I just replaced it with a sprayer.
  • User
    10 years ago
    You can use it for sanitizer or hand lotion too. Dawn is very corrosive compared to other brands and seems to be the reason for most failures.
  • Lynda
    10 years ago
    Loved mine - had it for 10 years and used it many times a day with no problems! Loved it so much I am having 3 put in my new home (kitchen, laundry, and downstairs kitchenette)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Chose NOT to put one in our kitchen and I have not been sorry. I am fine with a cute little dispenser sitting there instead and I can have fun with seasonal ones, too.
  • Jenny Youngblood
    10 years ago
    I have had one by Cucina for 10 years used heavily with not one problem. Updating the kitchen now and am installing one by Brizo and hope it works as well. I absolutely love it. And especially since my new faucet will be on an island it will keep it free from clutter.
  • PRO
    DirectSinks
    9 years ago
    Just be sure NOT to use anti bacterial soap in the dispensers. What we have been finding is whatever chemical the soap companies are using for "anti bacterial" properties tend to eat the rubber gaskets, and cause the pumps to stop working over time. (I'm not speaking for all soaps, or all soap dispensers... but this is something the manufacturers have been studying the past couple of years).
  • User
    9 years ago
    Just something else to clean around. I like to pick out my own decorative dispensers.
  • Christopher Hindle
    7 years ago

soap dispensers like these are used commercially across the world with few problems

• Bliss
    7 years ago

I love my soup pump. We've never had an issue with the soap pump dying on us and this is our second house that we installed one in. If the pump were to go bad I would just install a new one.

• ladyexec10
    7 years ago
    I'm putting 2 in next to my kitchen sink. Everytime a dispenser drops in the sink, I'm soooo happy with this decision!
  • Casandra383 Dean
    7 years ago
    I loved mine in my last house, even though I had to get a replacement pump (lifetime warranty) every couple years. I just had one put in during my remodel, I hate having soap on the counter. My only complaint is that they drilled the hole a bit too snug to the edge of the sink....
  • Jean Mccarthy
    3 years ago

Do you use your soap dispenser for dish or hand soap?

• JDMCCL
    3 years ago

i hated mine in my old kitchen, we have hard water here in Florida and there was a ton of buildup on it that was hard to clean. Now i have a pretty dispenser and it's clear so I can use different colors of dish soap!

• Rs S
    3 years ago

I love mine! It fills from the top, so easy. No problems in 4 years and very convenient. Easy to replace and basically inexpensive if you have problems.

• Marisa Cuenin
    3 years ago

No problems with my two soap pumps next to faucet, 14 years and counting, no replacements needed! I prefer the clean design of nothing sitting on the countertop. I think mine are Kohler.

• krystalmoon2009
    3 years ago

I prefer the built in soap dispensor and haven't had any problems with mine in 15 years. I did hookup a never mt contraption which makes it so much easier than having to refill the bottle under the sink, mine is not a top fill or I never tried to fill it from top(so who knows, I threw the bottle way after the never mt hookup)

• Marisa Cuenin
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My two are top fill, it's very easy. What is a never mt?

• zaheram
    3 years ago

Love my dispenser. Cost less than $40 at the Home Depot and it works great.

• prettymirror1
    last year

I have had a soap dispenser at my sink filled with Dawn detergent for twenty years at least. I use it for dishes and hand washing. I also have a sprayer. Would not want to do without either one.