Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hilary_hayden

Kitchen update help plus bathroom

Erica Newell
2 years ago

Hello,
My husband and I recently went pending on a beautiful home that needs some updating especially in the kitchen. Any ideas for updating this kitchen? I'd love lower cost ideas. We definitely want to paint the cabinets/island and update the hardware. We will replace the granite tile floors but with what? There is Brazilian cherry hardwood in the rest of the house.
The appliances have a black accent to them so I am really lost how to bring this up to date while matching the house/ existing granite.
The bathroom also has a green tile floor and accents that we want to replace and I would love color/ flooring ideas for this as well.
I am so lost, anything helps!!!

Comments (7)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

I don't think changing the cabinet finish or flooring is going to give you a change worth the costs. Elements that might need updating are the 4" backsplash, two level island and some space lost with the built in desk. I don't know anyone who really uses those kitchen desks ;0)

I like contrast of the bathroom floor. Or at least, like it enough to not want to go through the mess of tearing it out and replacing it. Does it tie into the vibe of the rest of the house. Good advice is to move in, live there, then decide what works for your lifestyle and what doesn't.

• Erica Newell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, thank you. It does look like we may be doing more of a full scale remodel of the kitchen and waiting to do anything with the bathroom. The kitchen is definitely usable but at least but for me is something I'd rather just get done before all of our stuff is in there.
    Possibility of using our wine fridge and making a wine "area" where the existing unusable desk area is.

• sayboone
    2 years ago

Those spaces are both 100% livable as-is for the time being. Speaking from experience, I think it's helpful to live in a house for a while before making any major renovation decisions (assuming it's actually livable, which yours is). You may make completely different choices after being there a while.

In the bathroom, I'd lean into the green and paint the walls a complementary color. It may stand out less when it's paired with another shade of green instead of stark white.

It looks like a lovely home, congratulations!

• darbuka
    2 years ago

One change to consider down the road, when you’re ready for a full renovation, is to remove the microwave above the range, and put in a proper vent hood. MWs have little to no effect on removing cooking effluents (odors, fumes, grease, etc.), even if they're vented to the outside.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I agree that you should live in the house 6 months to a year before making any decisions. You'll find that the changes you want to make now, will not be the changes once you're in the house and using the kitchen and bathroom. Yes living through a reno is a pain in the butt, but it's better than rushing to "fix" something only to find out that the fix is worse than the original. (Ask me how I know.)

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Adding that once you're in the house, you'll probably discover that the kitchen is dysfunctional in quite a few ways.