Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
modernfun

Hardwareless Kitchen Anyone?

modernfun
2 years ago

We are thinking of putting in a kitchen with modern, white, acrylic kitchen cabinetry/island with no or almost no hardware (handles/drawer pulls)...Does anyone have any experience or advice with this? Do you have channels to open them with and like them? -or maybe the push and pop out drawers and cabinets..? The Miele knock to open dishwasher..wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice on what they are happy or unhappy they did! Pics appreciated too.. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

they do have doors/drawers w/built in finger slots.

or, just do a finger pull hardware

check out this read

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/no-hardware-trend-kitchen-cabinet-trends-2018

modernfun thanked Beth H. :
  • modernfun
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, those are "channels." Thank you for the photos. I was wondering if anyone owns them and has any advice about what they like about them or if anyone has the push pop and don't like etc.....thank you.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

ok, sorry, thought you were looking for options.

I'd only add that constantly using fingers on those recesssed channels are going to get grimy. even handles get grimy and dirty. if you're using a laminate slab, should be a breeze to clean. If using a natural wood, it's prob going to wear the finish a lot sooner.

modernfun thanked Beth H. :
  • tozmo1
    2 years ago

My touch cabinets, all doors and drawers push and pop out. Love them. No finger prints to wash off, just a tap with the back of my wrist it my fingers are messy and they open easily.

Also love my touch faucet. Dishwasher is old school pull open Bosch. But I love that too.

modernfun thanked tozmo1
  • Tara
    2 years ago

Back in the early 1990s I had what was considered modern and new - white laminate Euro style cabinets which had no hardware, just a narrow niche to put your fingers in to open the doors. It was fine. Did not notice them getting grimier than the rest of the kitchen.

• acm
    2 years ago

I grew up with cabinets like that, and also had them in my current house for over a decade -- see Before pic here:

New Kitchen 2016 -- wall 2 before · More Info

Obviously, these were old and ugly, but the finger pulls were great, just because you could grab them anywhere. I like my new handles too. Push-to-release is ok, but I find it pesky in the end tables that have it in my living room. I guess see if you can try the specific mechanism in a local kitchen showroom to see how things feel to you, but one can adapt easily.

New Kitchen 2016 -- wall 2 after · More Info

modernfun thanked acm
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Hmmm I was sure the white cabinets above are the exact reason hardware came back. One can usually see wright where your hand hits as the food/oil on them will wear off the poly finish over time. We have cabinets in our bathroom with no hardware. You push them to pop the open. They are painted and no one is eating there so the paint is holding up fine.

• modernfun
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great point. Yes, shaker has so many angles and harder to clean, I think. I love the idea above about using back of wrist to open. Great to know you love the push and pop system too! Thank you for the pictures all.

• Jennifer Svensson
    2 years ago

I have the same fronts as Christine’s lowers. No issues at all. Even with some of my heavier drawers. I only have two drawers in my lowers (compared to Christine’s 3-4 in the picture) so some of them are very heavy. Plus, I love how I don’t snag my pants on hardware ( Been there, done that) and how easy it is to clean the fronts. The only thing, and it is really minor, is that my fingers sometimes ‘slip’ when trying to pull the drawer if they are wet, say from doing dishes or similar.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths