Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindamessick

Bathroom Remodel - we want to remove sofet and running into issue

Linda McSpeedy
2 years ago

Above shower discovered the builder framed in a box and tonight we cut a hole to see what’s in there…snd discovered the HVAC condensing unit power, thermostat and freon lines for both outdoor unit (located right on outside wall). We have a feeling this may have been an after thought.
Any ideas on how to relocate?

Comments (25)

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

More softer pics

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And more

• millworkman
    2 years ago

You will need a HVAC company to figure that out as we have no way of knowing where else it may be able to be put installed.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback - thank makes sense. I hope it’s not too costly because that sofet really has to go.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

I would not be surprised if it will end up being cost prohibitive. They put it there for a reason, most likely they did not want to spend the money you will be facing to move it now, unfortunately.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

Removing that soffit is likely very expensive, so consider building out the soffit so it goes all the way to the ceiling. Although the soffit will be larger, I expect it will be less objectionable than the current version. If you can't get rid of it, work with it to balance the space and make it less of an obvious HVAC duct

• blubird
    2 years ago

I agree with Lyndee Lee that it would be less objectionable to build up the soffit, and a lot less expensive. How tall is the bathroom up to the soffit?

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The height to the soffit is 7’5” the soffit is 14” and space to ceiling is 17”. There is a toilet knock on the other side of this wall it would be very easy to move 1 foot over here is a pic of what’s in there:

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It looks larger than what it is.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Lyndee Lee, why do you say removing the soffit is very expensive? It doesn’t cost anything to tip it or! And only a few sheets of drywall to add to end of wall where we removed? Where the the cost come in?

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The soffit itself has nothing in it - it is purely decorative. Except for electrical for light in shower which we don’t need and lights above sink which again we don’t need as we are going to wall mount the lights.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The small Lille box on top on the soffit has the HVAC drain line, Freon and electric line that’a it - there has to be a fix! Why would it costs so much I don’t get it

• Candace
    2 years ago

Definitely time to get an HVAC person in - they’re the only ones that can really tell you if it can be moved. We found HVAC in one of our walls we were planning on demo-ing for our kitchen Reno and ended up having to change the design because moving it was in the cost prohibitive category.

• Helen
    2 years ago

Amything can be done by the right people. The only issue is cost. i have similar issues with HVAC and moving it is expensive. I live in a high rise and some people reroute for aeshetic reasons and some do not.

I chose to make it part of my kitchen design as I installed a copper tiled coffer ceiling with uplighting that took advantage of the soffits holding the HVAC.

No one can tell you what the cost is except for the HVAC company you call to look at it in person. When you find out the orice, you can decide whether it is worth it or whether you will just incorporate them into the design. A creative designer can make it a feature instead of a liability like mine did.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry milworkman I guess that was confusing in the pic you can see the HVAC stuff is only in the little box ABOVE the soffit…if we remove the soffit we will have that weird little box left on the ceiling.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input and advice!

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

UPDATE: that is some kind of soffit! So think and heavy and half gone!

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HVAC will be looked at tomorrow.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Couple new design dilemmas. First the double vanity wall back splash is 10ft wide - and 10 ft tall. How high should the tile go?

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And second this wall we will frame up to get rid of the rounded corner but the dated glass blocks - I actually love the light it brings in, and I have found some designers using them again although with new colors and pretty grout - what could I do with this wall to still bring in light?

• claire larece
    2 years ago

@Linda McSpeedy I'm answering the original post is there a way you can bring a soaker tub closer to the window? this is the reason I ask if you can send a rough draft of the bathroom.

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh I see - no that area is the sitting room off the bathroom. It’s a built in tub that’s not moving attached to shower

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Those are French doors that go off to a patio. Sitting area is 11X12

• Linda McSpeedy
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update on DEMO. why they didn’t run the electrical, drain line, Freon line through the top is beyond us. They built and framed a ‘box’ instead.