Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Has anyone used a company called Mosquito Curtains?

mtnrdredux_gw
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

After much consideration we've (really I've) decided against screening in our front porch in Maine as just too much of an aesthetic compromise. Yet I agree we'd use it as more of a room if it were screened. Not just because of mosquitoes, but moths, and other insect-world miscellany, and just the "feeling of enclosure" at night. And at 50'x12', it's a waste not to use it

We have french doors off our MBR to a deck, and because the doors open out, screens were an issue. DH bought a simple set of 2 panels, which close by magnets, and are attached with velcro to the frame. They are white mesh. They've worked surprisingly well. The magnets open (and automatically close) just when you walk thru. They are easily pulled back during the day. At night, the have little impact on the view (during the day they make it a tad hazy ... should you choose not to pull them back.)

The company is very helpful and impressive. I just dont' think I've seen anyone in our area use this product. Here are some photos:

Comments (15)

• Gargamel
    2 years ago

They look great! What an invention !

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Gargamel
  • Coco
    2 years ago

I've seen those advertised on TV.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

Those really are pretty when pulled back.

Now I wonder if some of what I thought were ouside drapes are actually Mosquito Curtains? I’ll be looking for magnets at the next outdoor shindig.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maddielee
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I've only seen (and used) a similar product that fits over doorways - which also are quite effective as screen doors where you have none installed. But, I've only seen black; the white is so much more aesthetically pleasing.

In the first photo, where they are pulled back, how are they drawn across the space to close them? Is there a rod attached at the top and they slide or ??

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Olychick
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

I've seen online and wondered if they actually worked. Nice to hear they do in case we ever need. They look nice.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Allison0704
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

We have one on our back door because there is no room for a doggie door. we don't velcro it aeound the doorway, because the door is narrow and it doesn’t hold well. Ours hangs from a tension rod and is weighted at the bottom. They are cheap and we go through a couple a year. For that reason, it isn't my preferrred solution, but i haven't come with a better idea.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

More details please! our covered porch could use something like this

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, mosquito nets have been around forever, and if you choose these in white they mimic that look.

The difference is mosquito nets will billow out in wind, making them ineffective, and dont hold up to weather, will mold and mildew, etc. Also there is no way to really"seal them."

This product can look like decorative curtains when open (esp if you choose white) but still does pretty good job of screening, and should last.

Nuts - see this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjxrDItgV8w There are many more videos on their site, and also many photos of installations.

Oly, they are installed on a 1.5" track on the ceiling (it would be white in our case).

• jill302
    2 years ago

Very nice, I will have to look into this for our covered patio. The mosquitoes love me.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I noticed over the weekend, the mosquitoes were not bad at all, but at night moths were very annoying. So even if you solve one problem,there are a lot of positive to screening.

We are almost definitely ordering them, but probably won't install until August. I will let everyone know how it goes...

• Arapaho-Rd
    2 years ago

They look great, are functional and can easily be tied back giving the best of both worlds.

• Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

I have a black version like @1929Spanish-GW described on one set of French doors that lead to our back deck since we like to keep those doors open for ventilation. I bought it mostly to keep birds from flying inside as we don't have many flying insects. I like the white version that @mtnrdredux_gw found better, but I prefer the tension rod approach for my particular situation.

• nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Watched many of the videos online and on their website, but one question not raised or answered anywhere is whether the mosquito curtains will stand up to cats batting and pulling. Because cats can’t resist so ething like that, you know.

Does it look sturdy enough to withstand feline attacks? TIA.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Gee, IDK. I would email them and ask them. They are super nice and the website says something about his salespeople being instructed to tell people if there is a better solution for them, FWIW.

• nutsaboutplants
    2 years ago

Yes, i’ll email them. I really like it and will get it for our porch if cats wontwon’t tear them down.