Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_whisler

kitchen design HELP!!!

Becky Whisler
2 years ago

My husband and I are building a house. I am trying to nail down the kitchen layout. We have great views to the north so I really want a bank of windows and the sink centered under it. I also would like some sort of pantry. This is what I drew out just to give an idea. I will be meeting with a KD next week, but wanted some ideas. I don’t need anything fancy. Thank you for your help! The dimensions of the space are 12.6 by 15.3

Comments (18)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I wouldn’t have the pantry in the corner. I’d prefer a walk in. But regardless wouldn’t want a corner cabinet.
    That’s basically my critique. The rest seems fine. Love the windows overlooking a view

• just_janni
    2 years ago

I have a corner pantry - it's the work of Satan. Yours looks exactly like mine - it's "step in" but you can't see, let alone really reach the back corner. It's the area where weird food purcahses go to die. While it FEELS cavernous, you can't freaking easily see what you have because the linear inches that face you are really small. Oh and anyhting tall, you can't really get a decent sized step stool in there either.

I'd do all cabinets.anda super susan on the bottom. You may want to move your fridge to be more easily accessed by the great room, or else you may have folks from that area moving through your work area to get a drink. (Alternative - put a beverage fridge in the island)

If you leave the fridge there, then the landing area between it and the stove is kinda small. Removing the pantry and adding counter will allow you to move the stove a little closer to the sink.

I'd move your dishwasher to the other side too, so it's not in the way of the ret of the working area.

Some are way better than me in arranging. Think about how people will move through that area, both cooks and non cooks.

• AnnKH
    2 years ago

I agree with the others - you do NOT want a corner pantry between the sink and range, and you do want the DW on the other side of the sink.

So without the pantry in the corner, you can move the range toward the corner; I would want at minimum 18" between range and fridge (24" would be better). Then move the fridge a bit north, and put a tall pantry, 14-16" deep, facing the dining room.

Make sure all your base cabinets are drawers - you will not be sorry.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Is the window already in place and set?

• Becky Whisler
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nothing has been built yet so the window is not set. I just know I want a big window along the back.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

I'd move the window to the right far enough to have dish storage to the left, and move the DW as others have suggested. You can put a side-loading pantry to the right of the fridge--it's shallow and easy to see everything at once. Make the corner a void so you can have drawers on each side:

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

• Becky Whisler
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions!

• cpartist
    2 years ago

The majority of your time is not spent in front of the sink but between the sink and stove prepping your food. With that in mind, I'd move the stove to the window wall and put large windows on either side of the stove and move the sink and the dishwasher to where the stove is now. I'd add a prep sink to the island so that would give you two places to prep food.

If you don't want to do that, I'd move the fridge to the window wall on the left side, then the dishwasher, then the sink and put the pantry on the end where the fridge is now.

• Becky Whisler
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Is this any better for use of space....island is not centered with window....does that matter? I think we need more pantry space then just the edge of the fridge.....in my current home I have 2 3ft pantry cabinets and we have one pretty full of food items so I feel like I would need at least 3ft, but more would be better.

• Becky Whisler
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is the drawing

• anj_p
    2 years ago

Look into a reach in pantry or pullout pantries. You can fit more food than a pantry cabinet and it's all more accessible. I agree with others that the corner pantry is not good.

Your dishwasher belongs on the other side of your sink. Unequivocally.

• Becky Whisler
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all! This helps a lot! I was able to shrink my mudroom and relocate the pantry so now I feel like I have way more space in the kitchen! Thank you so so much!

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

Just like your pantry question, consider posting the entire plan. You don't design room by room -- the entire house needs to work together.

• Buehl
    2 years ago

The DW should not be between the sink and range. If you stick with your latest plan, move the DW to the other side of the sink.

A reach-in pantry is arguably the best use of "floor space" for a pantry. Built in place pantries (reach-in, step-in, walk-in) provide the most useful storage and hold far more than pantry cabinets. They're also a lot less expensive.

Built in place pantries allow you to:

• Use the entire height - floor-to-ceiling (i.e., no limitations due to toekicks, cabinet heights, molding, etc., that you have with pantry cabinets)
    • See everything with a sweep of your eyes (i.e., no opening/closing cabinet doors or moving things around b/c pantry cabinets are too deep for pantry storage)
    • Have shelves that are the "sweet spot" for pantry shelving depth - 12". Everything will fit on shelves that deep - food, small appliances, etc. That depth holds 2 or 3 cans deep, cereal boxes, pantry containers, etc.
    • Have no "weight limits" due to glide and other hardware constraints (but be sure to brace the shelves)
    • Are more adjustable

If you must use pantry cabinets, then pullout pantries no wider than 18" are the way to go. That way things won't get lost in the depths of the pantry shelves. Just pull out the set of shelves and look at one side and then the other.

The 24"D x width > 18" pantry cabinets require moving things around to find what you're looking for. In addition, anything above your head in those deep shelves will be lost.

There are fancy swing outs, but they're very expensive and they waste a lot of space due to all the hardware required and the multiple shelving units required to allow the swing outs to function properly.

• Buehl
    2 years ago

Also know that islands work best when the long end faces the range, not the sink, especially if you plan to use the island for prepping.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If you want to keep the DW to the right of the sink, then move the range to the exterior wall, which will be easier for venting. Put the wider pantry to the right of the fridge, with a MW in an upper to the left.

With the DW so close to the corner, the open door will block access to the cabinets on the perpendicular run, so dishes can be kept in drawers on the island.

With an island prep sink:

I prefer having the DW and dish storage outside the prep triangle, so helpers can load or unload the DW, or gather dishes to set the table, without entering the prep and cooking zones.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Here is what I was saying. This gives you two 48" wide windows. One on either side of the stove. And since you've moved the pantry, this gives you lots more storage in the kitchen.

Prep would now be done between sink and stove under the wide window.

• Becky Whisler
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I would not have thought of that....I like it!